123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Main Monitor Off Causes Stuttering on Extended Monitor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fletch33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Main Monitor Off Causes Stuttering on Extended Monitor? Reply with quote

i sold my iMac last week and picked up another mini this time the new 2.0Ghz and have my 52" Samsung LCD TV hooked to mini display port and a 19" LCD to the mini DVI port.

i run the dock on the 19 and use the 52 for Plex and EyeTV as extended and when both monitors are on everything works great. however one thing i was looking forward to when switching from the iMac was the ability to turn off the 19 or what use to be the iMac when watching movies etc.. on the 52 and enjoy no other lighting in the room except my movie on the 52. there was no way of turning off the iMac screen and i had to cover it with a towel LOL

anyway i will get EyeTV or Plex playing beautifully and then i turn off the 19 and once i do this the video stutters on the 52. i have tested this with Plex and EyeTV and it doesnt matter what i am playing if i turn off the 19 the 52 stutters the video and if i turn it back on again it stops stuttering.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this idea will cost money, you will need to buy adapters, switch the two displays.
if the problem goes away great.
if it moves with the display the issue is the display.
if it stays with the port the issue is a mechanical/electrical port issue or software supporting the port.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
fletch33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i already have the adapters but didnt think of switching them. i will try that and thanks for the idea.

i run both the display ports to DVI.

the 19 stays DVI all the way into the monitor and the 52 is a DVI to HDMI cable.

UPDATE:

ok so i switched the TV to the mini-DVI and the 19" monitor to the new mini display port and with Plex paying a movie on the TV i turned off the 19" and i lost the Plex movie as far as picture but still had sound and the TV that was playing the movie went blue like when you plug in a monitor and was just showing my main screen and not the extended anymore.

hmmmm (scratches head)

there has to be a solution to allow me to so this. i dont want to keep my dock on the TV because i remote desktop into the Mini often when we are watching a movie and start a download or something and want that access.

any help here or suggestions are greatly appreciated

thanks
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you use Spaces when you remote in? Not sure if it would work, since I still use 10.4 for my desktop, and I just network connect to the 10.5 mini.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Dim that display Reply with quote

Hi again fletch 33, I hope I can be of some help. I use a free System Pref called Shades. It makes it easy to dim the display. I would download that and experiment. You should be able to get it to dim the display of your choice. http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
fletch33

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should have posted back here sooner. i solved the problem.

i purchased a Gefen DVI Detective this little box maintains the connection signal to the computer tricking it into thinking there is always a monitor connected. this allows you to completely remove it if you wanted.

works perfectly and was a great solution to my problem.

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: