123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Safari 4 64bit under Snow Leopard isn't speedier than this Safari 4 32bit we currently have I'll be switching to Firefox.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
If Safari 4 64bit under Snow Leopard isn't speedier than this Safari 4 32bit we currently have I'll be switching to Firefox.

I have bad news and good news.

The bad: The 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE feel the same.

The good: It's IE we're talking about. Smile
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover Time wrote:
I'm already bored with 10.5.8. Time to bring on Snow Leopard! Smile

I'm not getting too excited. I've read the Apple promotional pages for Snow Leopard, and from what's there, it looks to me as though Snow Leopard might as well be called "10.5.9"...
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinshaw wrote:
I still get a bunch of "permission differs" stuff for iTunes, iPhoto, Front Row and QuickTime after repairing the disk permissions. I was thinking 10.5.8 might take care of that. I've been showing these since at least 10.5.7 (maybe even longer) and it never seems to get fixed. Am I alone on that one?

No, I am new to repair permissions, but I was getting a lot of that on the last update. I have yet to repair permissions with the new update. I am wondering if its' because I used an app to get rid of all my languages I didn't use in my apps to lighten the load a little. Regardless I won't do that again. I never noticed any difference and I barely gained any extra space.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
CaliforniaMini wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:
Sorry to say Safari still feels slow.
Still crashing a lot also?

No crashes here, but hit the "new tab" button and it is extremely slow to create.

OMG so like Safari doesn't hella crash 4 u? Its 4ever crashing on me. I'll go to a site or click on a link then all of a sudden spinning beach ball 4 a couple sec then it quits. It did it in 4.0 and the same in 4.0.2.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinshaw wrote:
I still get a bunch of "permission differs" stuff for iTunes, iPhoto, Front Row and QuickTime after repairing the disk permissions. I was thinking 10.5.8 might take care of that. I've been showing these since at least 10.5.7 (maybe even longer) and it never seems to get fixed. Am I alone on that one?

I've been receiving the same rather lengthy list for quite some time. I'm not sure if there is a specific application causing this issue or conflict, or if it's just something with Leopard. Either way, it doesn't seem to cause any trouble with those applications. I would just ignore and forget about it.

CaliforniaMini wrote:
OMG so like Safari doesn't hella crash 4 u? Its 4ever crashing on me. I'll go to a site or click on a link then all of a sudden spinning beach ball 4 a couple sec then it quits. It did it in 4.0 and the same in 4.0.2.

Any specific sites or is this just random? I've been having some trouble with the the Huffington Post, Gizmodo, Facebook, and YouTube.
iLife's a Bitch!
zedtvl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that as well, according to a Mac technician nothing to worry.
Which is strange with Leopard is even if it says repaired, it will still show up.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="g5g5"]
Dinshaw wrote:
CaliforniaMini wrote:

Any specific sites or is this just random? I've been having some trouble with the the Huffington Post, Gizmodo, Facebook, and YouTube.

Both, I've noticed it randomly on blackboard, a lot on stickam and just randomly on other sites. I think it may be related to some helper app like flash or java or something else, but I don't know what. Things can be moving along fine, then all of a sudden I get the spinning beach ball for a couple of seconds and then Safari quits. I thought this may go away with an update, but so far it hasn't. But it seems to be happening more in 4.0 and 4.0.2 than it did in 4.0 beta. Besides that and some sites not supporting Safari, I like Safari over Firefox, it seems speedier and simpler, although there are some things I like better in Firefox. Honestly, I think the Mac version of Google's chrome is where its going to be at, but thats still a little bit away.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost seems like Safari 4 has become the Vista of Mac browsers. You either love it, hate it or hope something better is coming. I'm a Firefox 3.5.2 user by the way. Smile
miniphil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: colors in 1920x1080 mode are all washed out. Reply with quote

Can anyone please verify this??
Since this update, colors in 1920x1080 mode are all washed out.
Everything looks grey'ish.

Can someone verify?

Edit: I use DVI to HDMI
epic_ed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I've been having some trouble with the the Huffington Post, Gizmodo, Facebook, and YouTube.

Not with crashing, but I think Youtube might have implemented something new in an attempt save bandwidth over the last month. I have a decent DSL connection at 3 Mbps and playback is choppy and always stalling out. The videos don't seem to be buffering ahead far enough. It's driving me crazy. I never had this problem before.
Zalez

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'm having some troubles here with AirTunes and Airfoil after the update. I can't connect, but everything looks good in the AirPort Utility. I'm going to reset them again and start over. I'm also with you guys on Safari 4. It's feeling really pokey again. I like having that blue iDisk icon though. I feel like a real man again. Laughing

Edit: Permission repair and factory reset of AE and AX did nothing. Trashed my com.apple.itunes.plist and AirTunes and Airfoil started working again. How screwy is that? Rolling Eyes

I have the same problem, but can't seem to fix it. Sad

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zalez wrote:
I have the same problem, but can't seem to fix it. Sad

Actually, the fix didn't hold. I called Apple and apparently the problem is with 10.5.8 and MacBooks running on battery power. Plug your MacBook or MacBook Pro in and AirTunes works just fine. You can even start AirTunes running off power and then unplug and it keeps working until you close iTunes. All I know is, I'm going to the beach this week and Apple better have it fixed before I get home. Mad
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

I'm not getting too excited. I've read the Apple promotional pages for Snow Leopard, and from what's there, it looks to me as though Snow Leopard might as well be called "10.5.9"...

Trust me you won't be saying that when you get it, I'm using it as my primary OS right now.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: colors in 1920x1080 mode are all washed out. Reply with quote

miniphil wrote:
Can anyone please verify this??
Since this update, colors in 1920x1080 mode are all washed out.
Everything looks grey'ish.

Can someone verify?

Edit: I use DVI to HDMI

Check your color space in your monitor settings under system preferences. I use Prophoto RGB in my office, on my HTPC I use a custom color calibration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: