123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mail Problem 10.5.7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: New Mail Problem 10.5.7 Reply with quote

I recently set up my back-up computer that runs Windows. I set up the Windows Mail program using my POP3 and smtp settings with the correct port numbers to get it working. I was very pleased that it did work.

When I went back to my Mac Book and opened Mail it did not load all of the latest messages. There were about six newer messages showing in the Windows Mail program that were not showing up in Apple Mail even though I clicked Get Mail.

I closed both mail programs in the evening and reopened the Apple Mail program. Those same messages did not show up. They were not in the junk mail box or any other mail box. Has this happened to anyone else? What is the way to get both programs to download all of the mail messages?

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you should check the preferences on the Windows machine, it is probably deleting the emails off the server after downloading.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: I'll Check That Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
Sounds like you should check the preferences on the Windows machine, it is probably deleting the emails off the server after downloading.

Thank you for that answer. I'll check that today and report if that was the case.

Smallwheels
www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Server Check Reply with quote

I opened the POP3 Properties Advanced tab to get to the correct information. There is a check box next to "Leave a copy of message on server". It was unchecked so that probably means that the default setting is to delete messages on the server.

I checked the box. Now I'll see how it works out today.

This was a part of computing that I didn't know about. Thank you ez061111 for teaching me something new.

It is amazing how many hours I've spent figuring out Vista and its weird settings. I liked XP then experienced Leopard 10.5.5. Now I'm spoiled. I know Leopard isn't perfect and I'm really disappointed that Apple hasn't fixed bugs I've reported. At least they aren't as bad as some Vista problems.

For example; in Windows Mail (WM) the spell check is not turned on when the machine arrives at the users home. I typed an e-mail message and clicked the spell check icon. It gave me a message that the language I selected is no longer available and that I should select another language. WHAT?!

I searched around and found the language selection pane. English was already the selected language. Why wasn't it working? After talking to my technical support guy in India the problem got fixed. The solution was to go back to the language pane and select Spanish and click Apply. Then go back to the same window and select English and click Apply. That seems to be one of the stupidest things ever.

Just one more quick peeve because I must tell somebody. The Windows Media Player (WMP) in the Vista Home Basic configuration CAN'T PLAY DVDS WITH AUDIO! DVDs are media aren't they? Since it can't play them due to not having the correct codex the free Real Player also can't play DVDs because it utilizes the WMP codex files.

The HP video player is absolute crap but at least it plays the DVDs with audio. The HP reps all tell me to download the VLC media player.

I'm glad that I don't really need to use the Windows machine for most of my work. It is my back-up computer and runs dedicated software that only runs within Windows.

Smallwheels
www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: