123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrades on the way :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boneca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Upgrades on the way :) Reply with quote

Just wanted to say Thank you to everybody who helped with decision making Smile

Pioneer 8x DL SuperDrive ($87.00 from ZipZoomFly) on its way
Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM ($155.00 from ZipZoomFly) on its way
AirPort/BT card ($98.00 from ComputerHQ) on its way

Last but not least I want to overclock my 1.24GHz processor to 1.42Ghz or even 1.5GHz.
I would appreciate any input on this.

I want to do this all at ones, so I don't need to reopen the case multiple times, I already have experience opening the case when I upgraded the memory.

I already upgraded memory to 1GB long time ago (I ordered my mini on the day it was released - basic config)

Maybe a little of topic but I never did a clean install on Mac before, I received my mini with Panther and then upgraded to Tiger when its came out, so I still have some OS9 stuff on it. Is it as simple as putting the CD in and turning on the computer with fresh hard drive and installation will begin automatically?
also what is the best way to back up the stuff I currently have on my hard drive, I understand about the data such as (music, videos etc.) how about all the settings? Is it possible to write it somewhere to be able then reimport it? Sorry if this questions sounds a bit dumb.

TAIA

Last edited by boneca on Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrades on the way :) Reply with quote

boneca wrote:

I'm also thinking to add AirPort/BT card and last but not least overclock 1.24GHz to 1.42Ghz or even 1.5GHz.

Do you live close to an Apple Store? They will do the upgrade for $100. I have no advice on overclocking the mini. I personally think the risk out weighs the gain. The drive you ordered should give you the biggest boost of all. Good luck!
iLife's a Bitch!
boneca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrades on the way :) Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
boneca wrote:

I'm also thinking to add AirPort/BT card and last but not least overclock 1.24GHz to 1.42Ghz or even 1.5GHz.

Do you live close to an Apple Store? They will do the upgrade for $100. I have no advice on overclocking the mini. I personally think the risk out weighs the gain. The drive you ordered should give you the biggest boost of all. Good luck!

Thanks for the advise, I actually have Apple store 2 miles from my house but I don't feel like bringing my mini over there....
I just ordered the kit for $98 flat, I should be able to do it myself.
As for overclocking I understand where you coming from with this, and maybe you right. This is why I want to have at least an idea what kida performace I'm gonna gain and how complicated the process is.

btw, I updated my first post.

ta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: