123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone got the MBP 13"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khgamez

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Anyone got the MBP 13"? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has the 13" MacBook Pro or any of the news ones for that matter???

Just looking for REAL opinions on them. Thinking of getting one but cant seem to stumble upon a GOOD (as in worth the read) review of it!

Thanks for any info

-Karl-
cheef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this? Posted yesterday.
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
khgamez

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Ill take a read of that one.
cheef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

Smile
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the low-end 13" MacBook Pro two weeks ago. What did it for me was the addition of the FW port, the long-lasting battery and the special deal for educators that gave me a free iPod Touch. So far I'm pretty happy with it. The smaller screen from my 15" PowerBook takes some getting used to, but it is sharper. The screen is bright, but the glossy finish isn't so bad when you can move it around to reduce glare.

Battery life seems variable, depending on how much writing to disk I do, but even with a lot, it seems to always give at least 4.5 hr on a charge and I think the 7 hours is realistic with non-intensive use and brightness set down. One thing you have to consider is that the new connectors will cost you some additional money if you have devices with different connectors. I paid $20 for a FW 800 to 400 cable, and the Apple mini-display adapter to DVI or VGA costs an additional $35.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the "collector's edition" aluminum MacBook and have been very happy with it. However, I am seriously considering getting the new 13.3" MBP due to the ability to upgrade to 8GB of ram. I do a lot of virtualization and would see great benefit from the additional ram.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I have the "collector's edition" aluminum MacBook and have been very happy with it. However, I am seriously considering getting the new 13.3" MBP due to the ability to upgrade to 8GB of ram. I do a lot of virtualization and would see great benefit from the additional ram.

You weren't joking in another thread when you said you don't keep your Macs for long Wink
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ no joke, lol...

I'm considering selling my mini and picking up a 13" MBP, if you do find some worth-while reads, please post them!

I'll be another month in making said decision, so if you do pull the trigger before I do, also post your thoughts...

With no external back-up's, besides my 32gig iPhone and an old 1gig jump drive, I would probably have to purchase the MBP first, transfer my junk, then sell the mini. I'm not liking that solution, I'm more likely to keep them both, so I guess I need to find an external back-up solution, which I need anyway.

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
aj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past week I picked up a 13ins MBP as a portable to use when we're not at our desks and I have to say I've been very impressed with it so far.

It feels as much a MacBook Pro as the 15 inch MBPs I'm used to dealing with at work.

I just can't get over how cool, small and portable it is though!

When I saw this announced I knew it'd only be a matter of time before I gave in and bought one.

I've also been amazed by the battery life.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imola.zhp wrote:
^ no joke, lol...

I'm considering selling my mini and picking up a 13" MBP, if you do find some worth-while reads, please post them!

I'll be another month in making said decision, so if you do pull the trigger before I do, also post your thoughts...

With no external back-up's, besides my 32gig iPhone and an old 1gig jump drive, I would probably have to purchase the MBP first, transfer my junk, then sell the mini. I'm not liking that solution, I'm more likely to keep them both, so I guess I need to find an external back-up solution, which I need anyway.
lowest price external solution that works is this

http://www.thermaltakestore.com/blacx-n0020028.html

20 dollars shipped to your home. uses any 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch sata hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
avservice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the Newest MB Pro 13" for a few weeks now and can speak to it with some experience under my belt now.

I went from a 12" PB which I have a hard time letting go of to a Black MacBook to the first Unibody Macbook 13" to the new one so I can certainly compare them directly.
I also so far still have them all too so if anyone wants to make any offers......well.

I am thrilled mostly with the new one!
It is built like an Aluminum Tank and only the fact that it seems easily scratched compared to the plastic ones bothers me about the build quality.
There is no flex,wobble or cheap feel at all on either of the Unibody machines and you just have to hold one or use it in your lap to truly understand this quality.

The screen seems better than both the BlackBook and the original UniBody machines I looked at but my first UB is one of the last ones with the improved screen and it looks just like the new one to me.

The TrackPad is GREAT once I was used to it. It has the right amount of texture to make precise movement possible and repeatable and the gestures are very useful when I can remember to use them. It is almost as easy as using a mouse which is saying a lot to me.

Battery life has gotten steadily better with each generation machine and the newest one does offer amazing life for a machine this small.
Only my ToughBook with a giant body and battery really can touch it and for web use it will get around 7 hours as it says on the gauge.
It also is usable with the screen dimmmed downn to save power.

I also LOVE the backlighted KB which I thought was a silly feature until I was out f town last week and used the machine in the dark several times.
Now I can not imagine not having it.

All depends upon your needs I suppose.

Another great improvement is the WiFi performance,the new machines just smoke the old ones even with a non-N connection.
The speed and connection strength seems much more robust.
Last week while on the road I was on hotspots all over the plac annd would pull out other machines I travel with to compare the connections and I was always amazed by the MBP ability matched only by my trusty Touch!

I bought the new one really for the FW over the first UniBody machine and I have a 400-800 adapter cable that I use so all of my FW drives are happy again and so am I.
I have yet to see any USB drives that make me want to get rid of FW at all and this had me so aggravated I considered.........nothing really as I do not want a bigger machine,I had just resigned myself to not having FW and living with it.
To say I was/am elated whith the refresh of this machine is an understatement.

I got it and stuck a 500g 7200rpm Seagate drive in it before ever booting it up and I am very happy with it so far.

It is a huge step up from the plastic MB in almost every way and priced right too.

There is no other machine built as well that I have used or seen EXCEPT the ToughBook W,T,Y series machines which are difficult to see before buying.

I also hav had no issues at all running Win7 RC in BootCamp mode once I found a few drivers and no Windows machine can run both OS platforms at all.

I use a PC every day for work and have to have a real serial port but this new MBPRO 13" is a keeper for me.

If anyone has any specific questions or curiosity please just ask.

Ed
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is on order. How much ram does yours have? I will have 6 gb ram with the 2.26ghz gpu and a 500gb hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
avservice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
mine is on order. How much ram does yours have? I will have 6 gb ram with the 2.26ghz gpu and a 500gb hdd

Mine has just the stock 2gig right now.
I am waiting to find a deal on a big board.
It is no slouch as it is and I just don't leave a lot of apps open at the same time but then I don't anyway.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
iMav wrote:

You weren't joking in another thread when you said you don't keep your Macs for long Wink

I finally pulled the trigger on the current low end 13.3" MBP. I was tired of being ram constrained with the VM's I run. I passed my year old alum MB to my wife...who was using a two year old 15.4" MBP (which I'll likely sell or pass on to someone else once I get a new battery for it).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: