123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.5 Reply with quote

Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.5
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Posted by: Fran

Mozilla today announced the release of Firefox 3.5, a significant update to their popular open source Web browser. Firefox 3.5 is based on the Gecko 1.9.1 rendering platform, which has been under development for the past year. It also offers many changes over the previous version, including support for new web technologies, improved performance and ease of use. Some of the notable features include:

- Improvements to the Gecko layout engine, including speculative parsing for faster content rendering.
- Added support for CSS 2.1 and CSS 3 properties.
- A new tab-switching shortcut that shows previews of the tab you're switching to.
- Improved control over the Smart Location Bar using special characters to restrict your search.
- Added a new Private Browsing Mode.
- Added functions to make it easy to clear recent history by time as well as remove all traces of a website.
- New support for web worker threads.
- The new TraceMonkey JavaScript engine is on by default for web content.
- Removed the new tab-switching behavior based on feedback from users.
- Support for new web technologies such as the and elements, the W3C Geolocation API, JavaScript query selectors, CSS 2.1 and 3 properties, SVG transforms and offline applications.
- Now available in 70 languages.

Firefox 3.5 weighs in at 17.6MB and requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1253.html
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels a little faster than Safari 4 to me. I probably won't switch though.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded an installed 3.5. It does seem very fast. I've been a Firefox fan for quite a while now. I usually only use Safari for online banking (private browsing feature). I like that way Firefox handles bookmarks and there are so many plug-ins. I think this 3.5 update will keep Mozilla in the browser game for some time yet.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched back to Firefox after having some trouble with the final version of Safari 4. The Safari 4.0.1 update (and reinstall) fixed most of those issues, but I really like Firefox again. This update has me even more content. It also feels very fast.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, it's a speedy browser.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I get the appeal for firefox. I don't like the bookmarks I am sure I could get used to it. I think Safari 4 is more productive and user friendly. You can pretty much customize Firefox to do a lot but so much of it seems so useless with apple widgets being a better option for me. I will give it a go for a bit though see how things go.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close but no cigar on the Acid 3 test, but I'm glad to see they added the private browsing mode. I'm also with you guys on the faster speeds. This is definitely the best 3.x release.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: