123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HTPC: Mini Displayport vs. Mini DVI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which HDMI Adapter should I use?
Mini Displayport to HDMI
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Mini DVI to HDMI
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

bobsmith58d

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: HTPC: Mini Displayport vs. Mini DVI Reply with quote

I've searched this (and other) forums, and I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the preferred method of hooking up one's Mini to an HDTV (and maybe there just isn't one).

I've been researching my (future) HTPC for months, and I'm now starting to pull the trigger on buying the components (found a steal on the diNovo Mini two days ago). Relevant to this discussion, I'm going to buy the new Mini (2.0 GHz, upgraded to 4MB from newegg) and the new Panasonic TC-P50G10 (1080P HDMI plasma).

I'm going to buy an adapter (to hook into HDMI) from monoprice.com. It seems both the Mini Displayport and Mini DVI will work, but which one will work better? The fact that one costs about $7 and the other is about $15 is irrelevant to me. What are the pros/cons of the two different technologies? What are the limitations of the different methods? Am I the only one still confused by this? Shocked

As always, thanks to the expert advice from those who have already figured it out!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mini DP supports a higher resolution than the Mini DVI port. From what I understand they both offer equal video quality. Being you will likely ony ever need 1920X1080 for a television you may want to reserve the mini display port for either an Apple monitor or another brand that may support higher resolutions.

I really haven't dug deep into the technical differences. Perhaps someone who has can chime in.
nyck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from apple.com/macmini

Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
polarbear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently using the mini-DVI/DVI cable and a DVI/HDMI cable and that works well. However I also asked myself the question what benefit the mini-DisplayPort cable would offer for a standard HDTV resolution of 1920x1080.
don731

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with using the mini-dvi to hdmi hookup to a panasonic plasma set. Apparently this does not carry the hdmi drm data required by some sets, and the panny would go into a sleep mode. This is well documented on the avsforums (sorry, don't have a link). I then switched to mini-displayport to hdmi using a monoprice cable, which works perfectly (apparently the hdmi drm data is transmitted via the mini-display port). Resolution isn't perfect, put the panny reports the mini as outputting 1080p.

Don in Chicagoland
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polarbear wrote:
I am currently using the mini-DVI/DVI cable and a DVI/HDMI cable and that works well. However I also asked myself the question what benefit the mini-DisplayPort cable would offer for a standard HDTV resolution of 1920x1080.

None for that purpose, just a new rival format that does the same thing so you can buy a new adapter Sad
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
polarbear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:

None for that purpose, just a new rival format that does the same thing so you can buy a new adapter Sad

Are you sure? According to the previous quote is appears that the Mini-Displayport offers the HDCP DRM signal:

don731 wrote:
Apparently this does not carry the hdmi drm data required by some sets, and the panny would go into a sleep mode. This is well documented on the avsforums (sorry, don't have a link).

That certainly would be of benefit some time in the future.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct. My personal feeling is that I don't particularly agree with much of DRM which may ultimately force people to purchase new equipment: equipment becoming obsolete only because of DRM, not better quality.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: