123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booting from FireWire Guide Available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Booting from FireWire Guide Available Reply with quote

I wrote a guide for booting a mini from FireWire covering testing, partitioning, and cloning. It is a work in progress and can be seen here:

http://techsiteonline.com/PDF/Mac_mini_FireWire_Boot.pdf

Feedback, comments, and contrutive criticism is welcome!
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Macsince84

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Booting mini from firewire Reply with quote

Hi, and thanks for posting the tutorial, looks pretty complete. Currently awaiting my new Mini; phase two will be the firewire drive. Look forward to the performance. I've been in G3 land way too long. Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Booting mini from firewire Reply with quote

Macsince84 wrote:
I've been in G3 land way too long. Smile

I was stuck there for a few years! Wink
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Booting mini from firewire Reply with quote

Macsince84 wrote:
Hi, and thanks for posting the tutorial, looks pretty complete. Currently awaiting my new Mini; phase two will be the firewire drive. Look forward to the performance. I've been in G3 land way too long. Smile

I know I probably missed something, if you find an error or anything that should be added let me know.

I also plan to add a Confirmed Hardware section of both working and non-working hardware.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wasted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: A couple additions perhaps to the guide. Reply with quote

For cheap/poor/mired in debt people like me who don't need all the extra functionality of a full backup program:
Disk Utility/Restore built into OSX works wonders. Just choose current disc as source and external FW HD as destination, choose Restore, and away you go. Backs up the entire internal HD to an external drive (assuming enough space on the external to cover whatever data is currently stored on the primary drive).

Regarding external FW enclosures with bootable capability, my CompUSA brand for $54.99 somebody mentioned in another thread a couple days ago has a Prolific chipset and it's bootable.
blenderdude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's an excellent guide.

Are FireWire enclosures for 3.5" Hard Disks pretty small? I'll be taking the mini back and forth from my mom's to my dad's, so I don't want some 8-9" long sucker to lug around Smile

Anyone know of a good firewire enclosure that is small and actually looks good? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blenderdude wrote:

Anyone know of a good firewire enclosure that is small and actually looks good? Wink

Someone posted this enclosure on another thread. I've been eyeing it for a few weeks. I'm thinking about buying one since the reviews of the Mac mini enclosures have been negative.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817173003
Gmas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was eyeing that enclosure, it looks really cool. On a similar aesthetic line you also have the G-tech externals and some of the OWC externals, but they come with drives in them.

All cool though.

Gmas.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blenderdude wrote:
Thanks, that's an excellent guide.

Are FireWire enclosures for 3.5" Hard Disks pretty small? I'll be taking the mini back and forth from my mom's to my dad's, so I don't want some 8-9" long sucker to lug around Smile

Lacie and the ministack have looks that comliment the mini.

devo wrote:
Someone posted this enclosure on another thread. I've been eyeing it for a few weeks. I'm thinking about buying one since the reviews of the Mac mini enclosures have been negative.

They do look nice but I wonder about the cooling.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
blenderdude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

That does look sweet, but that's a bit large.

Are the "mini stackable" enclosures smaller than all of the regular 3.5" enclosures? If that's the case, I may have to go that route.

Remember, I want something that you can toss into a backback along with the mini in its box and a keyboard Smile Although, if all of the 3.5" enclosures are pretty big, I could just stow it under my desk on top of my old peecee... hmmm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
h4ns

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blenderdude wrote:

Are the "mini stackable" enclosures smaller than all of the regular 3.5" enclosures? If that's the case, I may have to go that route.

They are bigger in most cases.

The problem with 3,5" drive enclosures is that it needs a power supply. (Most are external, some of the biger cases have them build in)

If you want small you could use a 2,5" FireWire enclosure (The Lacie Porche Design cases are very nice) but the problem is that they are slower than theire bigger brothers.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10655
cnystrom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Acomdata mniPal Reply with quote

I would love to be wrong about this, but according to page 88 if the manual, the acomdata miniPal can not be used as a startup disk.

I tred an install on it, but the drive never showed up to select it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: