123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lenovo IdeaPad S12
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Lenovo IdeaPad S12 Reply with quote

I might replace my Asus 1000H with that new Lenovo IdeaPad S12. I'm thinking my eyes would appreciate the larger screen. They're also coming out with an ION powered version for better video playback. My 1000H doesn't do flash or regular video all that well, so that's another bonus. I also like the styling of the IdeaPads. I always thought the 10" model was one of the nicer looking netbooks out there. What do you guys think about them?
iLife's a Bitch!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a netbook due to the screen size, but with the Ion platform it should be in another class as far as performance compared to a netbook. The pricing I've seen (don't have a link) was $450-$550 I think with I believe two different models (differing by spec only). I like the idea of it and would love to see a dual core atom desktop version.
On a related note Intel is looking like they are going to try some similar schemes by limiting CPU's sent to companies using the nVidia Ion platform, something that got them in trouble before.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not sure what the ION option will add to the price of the IdeaPad S12. I just know that I want it and I'm willing to pay a slight premium.

dungeon92 wrote:
On a related note Intel is looking like they are going to try some similar schemes by limiting CPU's sent to companies using the nVidia Ion platform, something that got them in trouble before.

That just plain old sucks. It seems like it's taking them forever to get the ION products out on the market. At least when it comes to netbooks.
iLife's a Bitch!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a few reviews on this, and it looks very interesting. At 12.1", it's much more usable than a 10" netbook for tasks other than browsing, as well as having the better video card. A 6 cell battery would add almost a lb. to the weight of an equivalent 10" netbook, but it's still pretty light. I would look at this one seriously if I didn't already have a Wind.

But now it's starting to get into mixed-up territory with netbooks and laptops. When I got my Wind, I thought of it as an addition to a 15" laptop (my PowerBook) for casual use travelling when I don't need a full-powered computer and for lap use. But now with the improvements to the MacBook Pro (and the free iPod touch education deal), I'm probably going to buy it to replace my PowerBook. The smaller size and weight (13.3" and 4.5 lb.) may make it handy enough to use for what I'm now using both machines for. A 12" laptop wouldn't make much sense if you have a light 13" laptop, especially if it's a Mac.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
To be honest, I'm not sure what the ION option will add to the price of the IdeaPad S12. I just know that I want it and I'm willing to pay a slight premium.

dungeon92 wrote:

That just plain old sucks. It seems like it's taking them forever to get the ION products out on the market. At least when it comes to netbooks.

Last time Intel did this they were fined by some organization (it might have been the EU since you can easily get away with that in the US if you have good lawyers), they limited supplies to companies selling and AMD based solutions.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I read a few reviews on this, and it looks very interesting. At 12.1", it's much more usable than a 10" netbook for tasks other than browsing, as well as having the better video card. A 6 cell battery would add almost a lb. to the weight of an equivalent 10" netbook, but it's still pretty light. I would look at this one seriously if I didn't already have a Wind.

But now it's starting to get into mixed-up territory with netbooks and laptops. When I got my Wind, I thought of it as an addition to a 15" laptop (my PowerBook) for casual use travelling when I don't need a full-powered computer and for lap use. But now with the improvements to the MacBook Pro (and the free iPod touch education deal), I'm probably going to buy it to replace my PowerBook. The smaller size and weight (13.3" and 4.5 lb.) may make it handy enough to use for what I'm now using both machines for. A 12" laptop wouldn't make much sense if you have a light 13" laptop, especially if it's a Mac.

I agree entirely on it not being a true netbook, I I like the desktop Ion platform idea more since you can use a dual core atom, but combined with a single core atom seems a bit odd, why doesn't intel make a dual core atom for mobile use?

Going to Missouri S&T!!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5,

I LOVE all of Lenovo's stuff! I was poised to buy a S10 when I found a killer deal on a MSI Wind....

Fox & Dungeon,
As far as the S12 "not really being a netbook":

Netbook = Internet + Notebook

As far as I can tell - the S12 still holds true to all the likings of any other netbook:

small scale CPU
wireless communications
limited upgradeability
sans optical drive

The only "difference" is the fact that it has a larger display. If that is the deciding factor of what a netbook is then perhaps one could say that even the 8", 9" and 10" models out there are themselves are "not really netbooks",
as the first netbook (Psion Netbook*) was a 7" screen as well as the first popular follow up; EeePC 7" surf.

My 2 cents.

* - Reference to Wikipedia search - Netbook
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
g5g5,

I LOVE all of Lenovo's stuff! I was poised to buy a S10 when I found a killer deal on a MSI Wind....

Fox & Dungeon,

As far as I can tell - the S12 still holds true to all the likings of any other netbook:

small scale CPU
wireless communications
limited upgradeability
sans optical drive

The only "difference" is the fact that it has a larger display. If that is the deciding factor of what a netbook is then perhaps one could say that even the 8", 9" and 10" models out there are themselves are "not really netbooks",
as the first netbook (Psion Netbook*) was a 7" screen as well as the first popular follow up; EeePC 7" surf.

My 2 cents.

A 12" screen is getting in to the size of a normal laptop, such as the MacBook. That size is a bit high, another point we could attack is the price since the goal of netbooks is a cheap highly mobile laptop, or weight since the usual target weight is 1kg. Otherwise the MacBook Air is technically a netbook since there is no optical drive, you can only upgrade the HDD/SSD, it has wireless communications and a relatively small scale CPU, which also calls into question what is considered small scale as far as CPUs.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
g5g5,

Fox & Dungeon,

small scale CPU
wireless communications
limited upgradeability
sans optical drive

My 2 cents.

A 12" screen is getting in to the size of a normal laptop, such as the MacBook. That size is a bit high, another point we could attack is the price since the goal of netbooks is a cheap highly mobile laptop, or weight since the usual target weight is 1kg. Otherwise the MacBook Air is technically a netbook since there is no optical drive, you can only upgrade the HDD/SSD, it has wireless communications and a relatively small scale CPU, which also calls into question what is considered small scale as far as CPUs.

AFAIK, the only thing that denotes a difference between a "netbook" and "notebook" is that it's primary use/function is to be capable of reaching the internet, with a push towards "cloud computing". This would be the reason for less powerful CPU's, limited storage, light weight, etc. I've never read anything that would suggest if you stripped a notebook you could then classify it as a netbook. Screen size has nothing to do with it's connectivity.

...and I would agree. a Macbook Air should be considered a netbook, as it passes all the ORIGINAL qualifications of what a netbook is supposed to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the MacBook Air acutally qualifies as being a computer. Wink

Actually, I might be interested in buying a MacBook Air with another USB port and card reader. Another $500 off the price wouldn't hurt either.

These 12" Lenovos look really nice though. That new 13" ULV-based IdeaPad U350 looks nice too. In fact, it almost looks as thin as the MacBook Air.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I'm not sure the MacBook Air acutally qualifies as being a computer. Wink

Actually, I might be interested in buying a MacBook Air with another USB port and card reader. Another $500 off the price wouldn't hurt either.

These 12" Lenovos look really nice though. That new 13" ULV-based IdeaPad U350 looks nice too. In fact, it almost looks as thin as the MacBook Air.

Lenovo x301 with extra battery instead of optical drive in the accessory bay, the organizer of SILUG has one, they are nice and well featured, price is actually higher than the high end MacBook Air however.

Also, screw I give up on classification on what a netbook is, however I PREFER a netbook be smaller and lighter for my needs, a MacBook Air would be nice, but pricy and less USB ports than something I could get for $400.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how the ULV processors compare with the Atom. I need to look that one up. Neutral
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I have no idea how the ULV processors compare with the Atom. I need to look that one up. Neutral

ULV is more full power than the atom and 64-bit as well.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plans for trading up are on hold for now. I got a Dell Latitude E6400 from the school district today to use for the year ahead. I'm actually pretty impressed with it so far. The thing is running Windows Vista Business, but we're getting Windows 7 Pro when it comes out. That's in October, right? I'm also putting an Ubuntu partition on it this weekend.

Here are the specs:
2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
2GB of RAM
250GB 7200 hard drive
14" LED screen (matte finish)
Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M with 256MB of memory
Fingerprint reader
Smartcard reader
SD card reader
ExpressCard slot
1 x eSATA, 1 x Firewire, 3 x USB
Gigabit Ethernet
Intel 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth
Displayport and VGA out
Backlit keyboard
Webcam

It also has upward facing speakers that sound really nice.

iLife's a Bitch!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
The plans for trading up are on hold for now. I got a Dell Latitude E6400 from the school district today to use for the year ahead. I'm actually pretty impressed with it so far. The thing is running Windows Vista Business, but we're getting Windows 7 Pro when it comes out. That's in October, right? I'm also putting an Ubuntu partition on it this weekend.

Here are the specs:
2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
2GB of RAM
250GB 7200 hard drive
14" LED screen (matte finish)
Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M with 256MB of memory
Fingerprint reader
Smartcard reader
SD card reader
ExpressCard slot
1 x eSATA, 1 x Firewire, 3 x USB
Gigabit Ethernet
Intel 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth
Displayport and VGA out
Backlit keyboard
Webcam

It also has upward facing speakers that sound really nice.

Those blow away anything my school has, the best laptops we have are the tech MacBook and the tech coordinators MacBook Pro

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: