123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV 2.4 Software Update Released [U]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Apple TV 2.4 Software Update Released [U] Reply with quote

Apple TV 2.4 Software Update Released
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Posted by: Fran

Apple quietly released the Apple TV 2.4 Software Update today. The support page for Apple TV software updates hasn't been updated to reflect the changes, but it appears that new remote support has been added with Version 1.3 of the Remote application for the iPhone and iPod touch. This version of the Remote application, which also was released today, allows users to navigate menus and control their Apple TV with simple finger gestures. To gain this support, you also need to be running the iPhone 3.0 software on your iPhone or iPod touch. If you notice any other changes with the Apple TV 2.4 software, let us know about them over in the forums.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1248.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't fired up my Apple TV in a long time, but I think they changed up some of the Flickr stuff.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see Apple bring some of these remote features (like this and the remote learning) and other stuff over to Front Row. Honestly, who even cares about the Apple TV at this point? Then again, who even needs Front Row with Plex? Okay, how about an iTunes and media server Apple? Smile
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is anything like the Boxee app, it's probably really cool. It sounds a little more like a trackpad though. Oh well, I'm not buying an Apple TV to find out. I would rather put my money towards a second Mac mini.
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Apple has updated their support page for Apple TV software updates. Here's what the Apple TV 2.4 Software Update includes:

Remote app directional - control Control your Apple TV with simple finger gestures via the Remote app. This feature requires Remote 1.3 running on an iPhone or iPod touch with iPhone OS 3.0.

Flickr Search - Search Flickr photo tags to find recently updated photos of interest. Save searches to quickly find new photos or use as a screen saver for Apple TV.

New view options - View movies By Genre, By Movie, or Unwatched. View TV Shows and Podcasts By Date, By Show, or Unwatched.

Updated transport and chapter modes - During video playback, click right or left to fast forward or rewind. Additional clicks increase the speed. Click down to show chapter markers.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Apple would add support for external storage with that freaking USB port. The lack of available storage space is my major complaint about the ATV at this point. I also wouldn't mind having a browser and something for Facebook and Twitter.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Honestly, who even cares about the Apple TV at this point?

Umm.. people who do have/like the Apple TV?!?!?! I for one. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover Time wrote:
I wish Apple would add support for external storage with that freaking USB port. The lack of available storage space is my major complaint about the ATV at this point.

+1

These are nice little additions though. I haven't tried the remote, but the new playback control and chapter markers are going to be really handy. I also like the new Flickr search thingy. It seems to be slow loading up pictures though.
iLife's a Bitch!
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: iTunes Home Media Server Reply with quote

We need something IMHO.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Grover Time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: iTunes Home Media Server Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
We need something IMHO.

That isn't very specific, but I hear you loud and clear. Laughing

I honestly think a browser, FaceBook, Twitter and some simple games would make things a little more exciting. I was also going to say Hulu, but that's probably a pipe dream.
Fazzy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they are trying to make the "hobby" seem more interesting. But what about gesture control for iTunes and CoverFlow? You know, things that people actually use on a daily basis. And what's with the total abandonment of Front Row? I think Apple needs to get serious about building a worthy media center application. I guess it's too late for Snow Leopard, but come on now.
qrayg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Then again, who even needs Front Row with Plex?

Are you serious? Plex? Plex is a joke. It's over-complicated and unintuitive.

Examples:

1. Have a new user try and change the zip code for the weather add-on. Have fun waiting a few hours.

2. Add a source and then try and change that source to a different drive or remove it. Good luck.

I've ended up having to delete my preferences many times just to accomplish certain tasks. Plex is too much like a Windows app.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrayg wrote:
Are you serious? Plex? Plex is a joke. It's over-complicated and unintuitive.

There is a rather steep learning curve, but I honesty can't think of a better media center application for the Mac right now. Especially with all the streaming and web content available through the App Store. I do think that Apple or Hulu could probably build something better and more Mac-ish in a short time though. I even thought that Equinux had a shot at one time with MediaCentral, but they seem totally lost now. So what else do we really have?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: