123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases iPhone 3.0 Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't messed around with the new software that much, but I really like how they implemented copy and paste. My emails just got a lot more interesting. Twisted Evil Laughing
caulktel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I haven't messed around with the new software that much, but I really like how they implemented copy and paste. My emails just got a lot more interesting. Twisted Evil Laughing

Devo, every time I read one of your posts I hear the voice of Monte Burns from he Simpsons. I guess it's from your Avatar. Oh well, no disrespect meant.
iPhone 4S 16GB
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is stupid 10.00 for a update why do iPhones get of free.

Also make sure your app is 3.0 compatible several sites are reporting

Having to downgrade there iPod touch because the app fails to load in 3.0
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:
Devo, every time I read one of your posts I hear the voice of Monte Burns from he Simpsons. I guess it's from your Avatar. Oh well, no disrespect meant.

Whatever you say Smithers. Laughing

Yeah, I need to get back to the whip. This new one has dated me.

macmanmacman wrote:
I think this is stupid 10.00 for a update why do iPhones get of free

They claim accounting because of Sarbanes-Oxley, but it seems silly. Apple TV users don't pay for upgrades.
hafamaca

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the upgrade, needed the copy&paste feature...

Safari defiantly feels much perkier, though Mail seems a bit slower.

I'm happy, as long as I don't look at my debit statement Laughing Razz
gts116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

macmanmacman wrote:
I think this is stupid 10.00 for a update why do iPhones get of free

They claim accounting because of Sarbanes-Oxley, but it seems silly. Apple TV users don't pay for upgrades.

Here's your technical reason from an accountant... WARNING, THIS WILL BE LONG.

Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX) was designed and written into law to help prevent mis-representations on a public company's (one that issues stock) financial statements as well as to put more responsibility on management's shoulders... along with about a million other little items...

Anyways, the part we want to look at is aimed at the financial reporting (later on below).

The revenue system chosen by Apple for the iPhone and AppleTV are subscription-based. This implies that the majority of revenues from these devices will come from the subscriptions associated with these devices. The term subscription will be loosely defined as paying an additional fee to receive future benefits. That's how the AppleTV falls under this category. It was intended to be a device who's main function was to facilitate online purchases through the iTunes Music Store.

Let's jump over to the iPod Touch side of things. The Touch's original revenue system chosen by Apple was a general product sales system. They sell the device and it doesn't bring in any additional revenue. Keep in mind that Apple intended for the device to be beefed-up iPod.

Now to the financial reporting... You cannot give substantially upgraded ability to a product without showing revenue. The iPod Touch was designed to listen to music and play video files. iPod Touch 2.0 gave the iPod the ability to expand beyond its original intent and become a device capable of running 3rd party applications as well as adding 4 or 5 (I can't remember) fully functional applications right from Apple. Subscription-based products can receive enhancements (without an additional charge) because the end user is paying for those enhancements though the subscription payments (even if your payments do not increase).

A quick example. You sign a 2 year contract with AT&T and buy your iPhone. You pay (to make life easier) $12 per month for your subscription and an additional $24 for the device itself. Also to make life easier, Apple will get all of the subscription revenue (not AT&T). Now... Apple will not record the revenue of the $24 iPhone all at once. It will slowly record the revenue over the life of the subscription contract. So every month, Apple will record $13 of revenue for each iPhone sold ($12 for the subscription and $1 for the iPhone itself [$24 cost / 24-month subscription term].)

Imagine trying to go back to the beginning of time for the iPod Touch and adjusting every sale transaction for the device to be allocated over a specific contract term. How long would you use for the contract term? How many people would it take to alter every iPod transaction? How much would that cost? After all of that is said and done, Apple then would need to restate their financial statements for each year showing the altered revenue amounts. The altered statements would then need to be audited by external auditors.

For Apple to reclassify how it records revenue for the iPod Touch, it would cost the company an extraordinary amount of money (millions) to restate their accounting records as well as to reproduce altered audited statements to their shareholders.

Rather than going through all of that, Apple decided to charge for updates to the iPod and treat them as additional general sales products. Yes, its a hit in the jaw for everybody who would have to purchase the update, but it seems that Apple chose that route over the craziness of the alternative.

I'M NOT SAYING THAT I AGREE WITH THESE RULES!!! I'm just stating the laws of the accounting world, GAAP (Generally Accepting Accounting Principles) along with SOX. Don't blame Apple or the accountants for this. It falls on the bureaucrats (many of which aren't accountants at all) who voted these rules into place.
- iPhone 4 16G (VZW)
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
I'm happy enough with the new iPhone features, but I didn't even bother with my 1G iPod touch. There just isn't enough there in my eyes to make it worth $10 dollars. Plus, I think my battery is starting to go bad.

I probably wouldn't bother either. There are also reports of major slowdowns with 3.0 running on the 1G iPod touch. Sad
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand all of that but remember the apps store and
the iTunes store where suppose to help with the revenue
with the iPod touch.

I guess that failed because a lot more people are jailbreaking
there iPod touch versus paying for app's.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.1 Has been released to developers..

Great just what i needed another 10.00 upgrade.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
3.1 Has been released to developers..

Great just what i needed another 10.00 upgrade.

It will be free, feel free to quote me on that in a month or so.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: