123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advertising Built In To Safari 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Advertising Built In To Safari 4 Reply with quote

The other day I got the software update to add Safari 4 to OS X. I got it and noticed that it is also slower on my computer when accessing pages for the first time.

What I have noticed is something unexpected with Top Sites. Safari 4 has loaded many sites that I don't remember visiting. I can't even remember the last time I went to USATODAY.com. I've only visited it via links.

There were two different travel agency sites like travelocity.com and something else. I've never used such a site since owning a computer.

CNN.com and BBC.com were there. I've clicked links to those sites a long time ago. I stopped going to CNN because their streaming live video was not their regular news broadcast.

EBay was a top site. I haven't been to eBay in weeks. When I'm there I don't spend much time on it either.

NPR.org is National Public Radio. I don't recall ever typing in that address or visiting it.

Facebook.com. I don't have a Facebook page and don't know people with facebook pages.

Only a couple of the sites I spend plenty of time on were added to my Top Sites. I spend hours each day on some forums and it took a couple of days for them to show up in the Top Sites page.

I still haven't visited the NPR.org site and it remains in my Top Sites list. So do CNN.com and USATODAY.com. Why?

I deleted many sites that I don't remember from the Top Sites page. If I hadn't I would be able to list many more unvisited web sites.

Do you think that Apple was paid to incorporate many of those sites into the initial Top Sites page? Will this happen again and again every time I delete my cache and history? Is this a revenue stream that Apple has created? Either way, I don't like the way the program is selecting top sites.

I still don't know how to add sites to my Top Sites page. I tried following the instructions at the bottom of that page and it doesn't work. Has anyone succeeded in adding sites to their top sites page? Let me know how you did it. I'm using a nine month old Mac Book so it should have the capabilities to make it work.

Smallwheels
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

After my last post I decided to empty the cache and history and start the Top Sites anew.

Here are the sites that came up;

Apple Start
Yahoo- I go there daily for mail
Google Maps- rarely visit it
Youtube- visit daily
Wikipedia home page- rarely visit
CNN.com- rarely visit
eBay- rarely visit
New York Times- only visit if linked in a forum I frequent
Amazon.com- sporadically visit
flikr- only visit if linked in a forum I frequent
news.com- this is CNET which I rarely visit
Expedia.com- I don't know when I was last there if ever
ESPN.com- I know I've visited it twice in the past six years and don't know how many years it's been since the last visit
Orbitz.com- I entered a contest on that site last year and visited it once
LATimes- only visit if linked in a forum
facebook.com- I've visited maybe two people there twice months ago
BBCnews- visit if linked to on another web site which is rare
monster.com- I've been there many months ago
NPR- I can't remember the last time I was there
careerbuilder.com- Don't know if I've ever been there and don't recognize the name at all
USAToday- I know I visited it when I owned my last computer but don't remember visiting it since then
Disney.go.com- ????
Craigslist.org- I use it sometimes. The link is to their home page which I don't visit very much compared to my account page. My regular landing page is for my state, not the generic home page.

The twenty-fourth square on the Top Sites page is blank with no icon for a site or the black and white Safari logo. Is it broken?

Did any of these sites populate your Top Sites page when you first opened it? Safari takes a while to fill in the sites.

Why doesn't it fill in the Top Sites with the sites that I have in the Bookmarks Bar? Wouldn't that make sense? I use the Bookmarks Bar precisely for that reason.

I think the reason that Safari 4 runs slower on my computer is because it is busy capturing images from all the pages I visit and is storing them in the full history file. Just check out your full history and watch ALMOST ALL of your site visits in picture form. It doesn't just capture the home page, it captures all of the pages you've visited within a site. That could add up to an enormous amount of data. This is a totally wasteful feature. It is pretty, but wasteful.

I want to be able to disable this feature. Even though I hadn't used the history view ever I decided to check it out. When I did I saw that it captured all the sites I'd visited. It even captures sites if you are using private browsing. I use private browsing all the time. I have hoped that using it would keep my identity out of the data mining banks.

Are we Apple computer users now going to have to empty our cache regularly, the way Windows users must, in order for our browsers to work efficiently?

Smallwheels
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Still Acting Up Reply with quote

After my last post I did more experimenting. I reset Safari and restarted the computer. After doing that Safari quit storing my history in Private Browsing mode. I kept checking it throughout the day and evening and it wasn't storing any of my history when checking the Show All History in the menu bar.

Today I see that even though I'm using the Private Browsing setting Safari has saved only one of the web sites I've visited. That is weird. I've visited many sites today. All were visited in Private Browsing mode. Every day when I open Safari I check to see that it is in Private Browsing mode.

I do not turn it on and off, with one exception. Until a few weeks ago I couldn't sign out of Google and then sign in unless the Private Browsing was switched off. That isn't necessary anymore.

Smallwheels
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Computer Shopping Not Showing Up in Top Sites Reply with quote

My computer shopping is not showing up in Top Sites.

For the last week I've been shopping for a new Windows computer so I can run some Windows compatible programs. I've spent half a day each day on a couple of venders sites. Neither one of them is showing up in Top Sites. Don't you think that if a person spent hundreds of clicks within one site that it would show up as a top site?

Top Sites doesn't work. It is clear to me that Safari 4 Top Sites was created to earn money in pay per click revenue for Apple Computer.

ESPN, CNN, Cnet, Amazon, and many more sites are populating my top sites even though I'm not visiting them. I don't even remember visiting ESPN since I got my new computer and it isn't in my bookmarks either.

Shame on Apple Computers.

Smallwheels
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: IE 7 Is Faster Than Safari 4 On Some Sites Reply with quote

After going through the hassle of getting an HP computer that was a bad one, shipping it back for repair and that not working, and finally getting a replacement, I've learned something about Safari 4. Safari 4 running on a Windows machine isn't faster than IE 7 on some web sites. How can that be?

I found this very odd considering how much faster Safari 4 seems in the browser comparison chart at the Apple web site. Is IE 8 slower than IE 7? Microsoft claims that IE 8 is much faster than their older IE 7.

During one of the multiple (I really mean multiple) times I was talking with HP tech support I was told very emphatically DO NOT INSTALL IE 8. It has too many problems.

Safari 4 does load Yahoo.com and CNN.com about one second faster than IE 7. I bought the least expensive HP using the LE1300 AMD Sempron processor so any slow loading is multiplied by the slowness of the chip. That makes the differences evident.

Has anyone else experienced this on their non-Apple computers?

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. my top sites works just fine. The only sites there are the ones I go to most often.

EDIT: BTW, I have mine set to the default 12 sites "medium", when I switched it to 24, it was still correct.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
hmmm.. my top sites works just fine.

On the bottom of the Top Sites page in Edit mode there is an instruction that says "To add a page to Top Sites, drag its address (URL) to this window". Does this feature work for you? I tried it in private browsing and regular browsing modes and the feature doesn't work.

I really don't see the point of the Top Sites feature. On Google Chrome opening a new tab automatically opens their most visited sites page really fast. On Safari 4 it is very slow.

I can access my favorite sites on the bookmarks bar much faster. It saves one click and one mouse move. I can fit 24 or more sites on the bookmark bar by using abbreviations instead of names. Another thing about using the bookmarks bar is that it will react to a click immediately when moving the cursor from a different browser window. Using Top Sites one must click the Top Sites icon and then wait for the page to open and load. Then one must move the mouse to the page you want to see and click it.

Right now I'm using the Top Sites on my Windows computer just because I haven't bothered to put my favorite sites into the bookmark bar yet.

Smallwheels
www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmallWheels, the sites that you mention in your OP are familiar to me because they are the bookmarks that were pre-loaded into Safari when I first got my MacBook in late 2007.

CNN, NPR, USAToday and ESPN are not particularly popular with UK surfers and yet they were the default bookmarks on a Mac sold in the UK. I would imagine that everyone just gets the same bookmarks to begin with because Apple assume that their customers would use at least some of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: