123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safari 4 Downloads Top 11 Million in Three Days
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Safari 4 Downloads Top 11 Million in Three Days Reply with quote

Safari 4 Downloads Top 11 Million in Three Days
Friday, June 12, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today announced that more than 11 million copies of Safari 4 have been downloaded in the first three days of its release, including more than six million downloads of Safari for Windows. According to the company, Safari 4 is the world's fastest browser and is built on the world's most advanced browser technologies including the new Nitro JavaScript engine that executes JavaScript nearly eight times faster than IE 8 and more than four times faster than Firefox 3. It also includes 150 new and innovative features like Top Sites, Full History Search and Cover Flow, as well as support for HTML 5 and advanced CSS Effects.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1232.html
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they would've done double with tabs on top. Wink
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking Safari 4 a little more than the other day, but I still miss the tabs on top. I just got so used to them being up there. Sad
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hardly wait for Safari 4.1. This version has me back to using Firefox on my Mac mini and MacBook Pro. I just think Safari 4.0 feels extremely slow and buggy. I can't even reset Safari 4.0 without it becoming unresponsive and having to force quit it from running. All of my favicons are missing too.
cheef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Across various threads, there seems to be a glowing issue with Safari 4.

I must be the only person that is genuinely impressed with the update, it's sorted out a long standing issue I had when switching tabs, and feels a hell of a lot more responsive.

Strange...
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheef wrote:
Across various threads, there seems to be a glowing issue with Safari 4.

I must be the only person that is genuinely impressed with the update, it's sorted out a long standing issue I had when switching tabs, and feels a hell of a lot more responsive.

Strange...

I would say fluke, but it's the same on both of my Macs. And I'm not really running any plugins. I'm glad to hear your install is doing well. Maybe it's just one of those hit or miss things, or a conflict with something else installed on these machines. Or maybe something went wrong with the upgrade from the beta. I'm going to try a fresh install of Safari later tonight. Wish me luck!
cheef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. Smile
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
somefreak90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Safari 4 eats disk space like never before. Hopefully an update can fix that. First of all, every website you visit is saved in a cache, which eats space, then a copy of each website is saved into your history so you can see it in history cover flow. In fact, I was so sick of clearing my cache and history all the time to get my disk space back I just went back to using Safari 3.1.2. It's slower, but at least I don't jeopardize my disk space every time I go online.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think even the beta version of Safari 4 did better memory management wise. It also felt quicker with loading pages. I think we might have to wait until Snow Leopard and 64-bit support to kick in for the true speed to be realized.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somefreak90 wrote:
Unfortunately, Safari 4 eats disk space like never before. Hopefully an update can fix that. First of all, every website you visit is saved in a cache, which eats space, then a copy of each website is saved into your history so you can see it in history cover flow. In fact, I was so sick of clearing my cache and history all the time to get my disk space back I just went back to using Safari 3.1.2. It's slower, but at least I don't jeopardize my disk space every time I go online.

Can't you adjust page caching in preferences?
How much disk space are you talking about? With the low cost of mammoth hard drives is this truly an issue?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be carefull installing safari 4.0 on your windows partition on your mac caused internet explorer 8.0 to become invalid and won't connect to the internet anymore but safari is still connecting fine.
Texark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they counting downloads through Software Update on the Mac and Windows? If so, I'm not that impressed by the number. Just because something is being force feed down doesn't mean the end user will actually use or wanted it. Actual downloads from the website is probably a better representation.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of any of that.

I LOVE SAFARI 4! For me, it is blazing fast, on all three Macs and my Netbook running XP!

Go APPLE!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my gripes at first ( maybe because of change), but I dig it now quite a bit. Doubt I would want to go back now.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Regardless of any of that.

I LOVE SAFARI 4! For me, it is blazing fast, on all three Macs and my Netbook running XP!

Go APPLE!

A netbook running XP? For heavens sake, install Ubuntu/Eeebuntu! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: