123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iTunes Loses Synch with Apple TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have a 500 GB Firewire MyBook that has my iTunes on it & most of my Music, Video & Photo files. I hardly keep any files on the Mac Mini Hard Drive. It's only 80GB & I only use no more than like 19GB's. I like keeping the Mac Mini very clean.

What I plan to do is copy my iTunes Folder from the MyBook to the Internal Time Capsule Hard Drive, point itunes to the Time Capsule Hard drive & see how that works. If it doesn't work as planned. I'll just change the setting back in iTunes & I'll use the Time Capsule Hard Drive for other files. I can always use the extra space.

But check it out! After I uninstalled VLC & Fairmount, I have not lose Synch. How in the world can either of those programs interfere with the Synch of iTunes & my Apple TV? Does anyone know how this can happen?

BanditBill, it's up to you. Your the only one I'm talking to here. No one is reading this post. I guess everyone has been avoiding me & doesn't want to catch what I have. Smile You & Usarcher are the only one to come near this Post! I know everyone thinks I've lost my marbles but this is all my own personal true & accurate experience.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this post with interest. I think that 1 program killing off another program has been around computer since the 70's. Try fixing it with cobol and keypunch cards and of course card readers been there done that!

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is possible ? I'm not thinking off the wall here? Smile
It just did not seem likely. That explains why it lost synch when ATV was plugged directly to my Mac through Ethernet. Perhaps these 2 programs (VLC/Fairmount) were my problem from the beginning.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
So it is possible ? I'm not thinking off the wall here? Smile
It just did not seem likely. That explains why it lost synch when ATV was plugged directly to my Mac through Ethernet. Perhaps these 2 programs (VLC/Fairmount) were my problem from the beginning.

Your thinking is right on the money.
Conflicts between applications happen all the time.

I'm not a programmer, so perhaps someone else (philiparcario) can correct me or further contribute.

I believe some applications fight for certain memory addresses, be it video or system memory. Even though there may be more memory available, both apps are preset to use certain blocks, thus resulting in a conflict. It's up to to programmers to try to work around these conflicts.

This is why I recommended setting up a separate user account, or better yet partition or hard drive for trouble shooting purposes. Start with a clean OS and add apps 1 by 1 until you get your conflict.

Quite often known conflicts are noted in an applications readme file.

Yup, there is a lot of work involved in keeping a system rock solid, especially if you are into trying out new stuff all the time.

Be thankful OS X doesn't have a registry like Windows at least adding and removing apps is fairly simple. Most traces of applications that do get left behind in OS X don't do much in the way of causing issues.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember you telling me that & I did set up a Test Account and it still lost Synch. So maybe I'm wrong once again, because those 2 programs were not loaded on the test account. I know this is hard to follow being I tried so many things. It did work with the eMac perfectly. I have Tiger on the eMac with the old B Airport Card. And the eMac was completely Wireless, not like the Mac Mini which is connected by Ethernet.

So far I haven't lost synch again. I'm really curious to what's going to happen when I get the Time Capsule & use it (instead of the Belkin) as my router. Although I'm not expecting any Miracles. Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was what you had done. Honestly I was too lazy to go back a re-read each post.

I'm wondering if those apps caused a change at the OS admin level account, thus having an effect over all accounts. That could be a possible. I'm assuming you had them installed under an admin account. This is sort of a another good reason not to use an admin account as your main day to day account.

This is why it's kind of nice to have a partition, drive or in your case another machine to troubleshoot. It really helps eliminate possibilities.

With the eMac did you have VLC/Fairmount installed?

BTW I would think the Fairmount addition is the likely culprit.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLC/Fairmount were not loaded on the eMac! But guess what? After a full day I just lost synch again. Funny it seems to now happen at 4 & 5 PM I noticed. Maybe a Military Vehicle going by with Radar Equipment. I'm really reaching here. This post has lasted a full 5 pages & the Moderators are probably going to pull it soon. I will PM you when I get my Time Capsule & let you know if I experience the same problem. Thanks for all your help. And thanks to Phillip & Usarcher also for chiming in.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no problem. It's fun to try to figure this out.

Not likely interference from an external source being you had this issue as well while running wired ethernet.

If the eMac did not have the issue and you didn't have VLC/Fairmount installed that helps indicate that VLC/Fairmount is the issue.

Next step is to install VLC/Fairmount on the eMac. If it loses sync then you know it's not your mini and the software is the issue.

If you want to put this thread to rest, you can ask the mods to delete it. I personally wouldn't worry about it though. I know it seems like a lot of steps and a lot of work, but hey that's troubleshooting. If it takes 10 pages then so be it. The issue you are dealing with can't be resolved that quickly because there is always wait and see involved.

You're on the right track. Myself, I'm proud of you. The issue isn't that big of a deal and you have the perseverance to keep at it. That says a lot about your character. If you want to write it off until you get your time capsule, that's cool.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making me feel better about this. I appreciate it! For me, I'll go on 10 Pages until it's solved! Smile Just didn't want to annoy anyone else.
I love troubleshooting this stuff also. The more I troubleshoot, the more I learn along the way.

OK back to my Rocket Ship! Smile So Fairmount & VLC are off my Mac Mini, so why would I lose synch just 2 hours ago? Those programs were gone from my Mac Mini since last night. I also did a thorough search in Spotlight just to make sure they did not leave any remnants behind. Here's how crazy I start thinking. I even thought it was my Garage Door Opener just now.

But your right. Since I also lost synch with an Ethernet Cable plugged from Mini to ATV, it cannot be Interference or a Wireless Issue. And my Mac Mini is squeaky clean. I have just the bare minimum on it. Erase & Install. I did ALL the Updates but I'm not blaming Apple's Updates this time. Smile

I found out something new today off this subject. The ATV will not show certain album Artwork. Even though you have it & it shows in iTunes. Convert the file(s) to an AAC file & they show up perfectly on the ATV. iTunes & the ATV likes AAC files much better than MP3's. I'm in the process of changing all my songs to AAC. It takes up a bit more room, but so be it. I have 12.000 songs in iTunes. It's going to take a while.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
I'm in the process of changing all my songs to AAC. It takes up a bit more room, but so be it. I have 12.000 songs in iTunes. It's going to take a while.

That will take a while.
Because you are converting from one lossy format to another, you may want to listen to a few samples before you do the entire lot. You probably won't notice any difference, but it's worth doing a small test beforehand.

I really wish that I had ripped all of my music in it's native format, then I could easily convert to any lossy format without too much quality loss. Too bad big hard drives weren't cheap back then.

One other thing you should consider looking at is your AC power. Perhaps this is causing the TV to hick-up.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I listened to them but don't notice a difference. But my ears are shot from years of standing 2 feet away from Marshall Stacks so don't ask me!
Smile

Yea I wished I hadn't been so cynical in the early days of iTunes. I always thought. I want my MP3! You live, you learn.

Power is one thing I did not consider. I have the ATV plugged into an inexpensive Power Strip. An APC UPS might be nice. I sometimes keep my ATV in Stand By mode. But either way, it'll lose it's synch in iTunes, regardless.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is Weird!
All of a sudden iTunes starts going down the line & playing songs for seconds. I get fed up & delete entire iTunes. I copy the iTunes folder from my MyBook FW Hard Drive to a Maxtor 250 USB. I download & install iTunes. Point iTunes towards it's new home on the Maxtor USB Hard Drive. It loads files, etc.. Now iTunes has not lost Synch with Apple TV in 3 Days. Could the MyBook have corrupt files on it? The Mybook is where I have iMovie Events, Videos, Docs, iPhoto, etc..

I'm starting to think corrupt files in iTunes & on my MyBook causing the problem.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Well this is Weird!
All of a sudden iTunes starts going down the line & playing songs for seconds.

Strange. Did you ever install a plugin that plays a bit of each song for whatever reason.

ie. to figure out beats per minute. Grabs song titles etc.

Sounds like you might be due for some Spring cleaning.
I'm currently reinstalling my system over the past couple days. I wanted to make sure everything was installed through a limited user account instead of the admin account. After such a long time. I feel more comfortable knowing my system is fresh.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I never installed any add ons or programs. Don't forget, I did a clean Erase & Install of Leopard just last week. I'm running a bare minimum of apps. So my Mac Mini is clean. But the MyBook iTunes Folder may have caused it to lose synch. I was so convinced, I deleted the entire 122 GB Folder. I don't want to Jinx myself but since the iTunes Library is on my Maxtor USB external, the Synch is rock solid (so far). Question: Could it be because the MyBook is Firewire? I know in the Mac World FW is the preferred, but in my little experience it seems there are less problems with USB than Firewire. Of course I did what Mac Users suggested. I bought a FW LaCie d2 DVD-RW, the MyBook. The iSight. The MyBook is a triple interface, so I could use it USB. Anyway my Time Capsule (Older Model) arrived today but I can't open till my B-Day, next weekend. Smile I'm going to copy my iTunes Library Folder to the Time Capsule Hard Drive & see if I can stream to my TV. I want to use the Internal Time Capsule Hard Drive for Storage, NOT Time Machine. People are doing this successfully but if it doesn't work for me, I can switch iTunes Library back to the USB external. So basically, I'm getting an the Time Capsule to replace my Belkin Router. It should be better than the G Belkin I have. As long as I'm currently synching with the Maxtor USB External, All is Good. So I guess maybe, just maybe, the problem was the FW MyBook & that Folder. It's weird because the folder on the Maxtor USB is an exact copy of that folder. Oh yea & I started converting a lot of my MP3's to AAC, takes up a little more room but I don't care. And I don't notice any decrease in Sound Quality. Thanks for Helping! I'll start a new much shorter post when I get the Time Capsule Up & running.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.history has once again repeated itself. After 3 days of synching solid, late last night it started losing synch every 15 minutes or so.
My plan is: Delete iTunes completely. Install a Fresh Copy.
Build a brand new iTunes Library from CD's (no files). A few at a time. I have over 1000 CD's.
I know there is a chance of having a worse problem keeping my iTunes Folder on the Time Capsule, but I have nothing to lose at this point. I'm not assuming anything at this point. So far I thought my problem was 8 different things & it proved me wrong after it giving up the synch after 2 or 3 days.
When I do all this, I will start a new post under Networking. If I still lose synch, it's probably my TV.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: