123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iTunes Loses Synch with Apple TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saga Continues:

OK. So it appears that my Mac problems are very different from everyone else's. That is why I have such a hell of a time finding the answer.This is the second time in 2 years that I had an iTunes issue. It seems iTunes was corrupt or a file was. I rebuilt my entire iTunes from the ground up. Took 2 days. So far, I'm synching with no problems. 2 days & counting. So here's what I'm saying. The wireless issue with the ATV could be a corrupt file in iTunes or iTunes itself. After trying EVERYTHING else. I came to this conclusion.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap you're persistent. Good for you, you'd make a good technician.

If you do decide to run CAT 6 cable you can get jacks like these that don't require a crimping tool. I assume you don't own a crimping tool.

Having no ends will make it WAY easier to fish the cable.

If you want to save a few bucks just ask a tech for some bulk cable. I know I'd give a guy a chunk with no problem for free. We go through it like candy.

If you want a nice finish then get some flush mount wall plates
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I was recording with this guy Mark Cunningham in NY who use to play with Rick Derringer and I saw a Sign on his wall & it read:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

That saying always stuck with me.

I will troubleshoot anything until it either drives me crazy or I figure it out.

So far it looks like I figured it out. But I'm not counting my Chickens! I could wake up tomorrow & it's back to the drawing board.

It's funny that most of the Problems I had since I bought my Mac are in no way similar to other peoples. The problem is the same, but the Solution is usually different. Smile

That Ethernet Jack is Cool! If I decide that route, I will let you know.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'm done! Stick A Fork In Me!! Smile
I just went to update my iPod & connected it to iTunes & the ATV lost it's synch with iTunes. I figured maybe too many devices at once. I was wrong! After I unmounted the iPod & restarted iTunes, I lost synch in like 2 minutes. That's it. I'm gonna' go Ethernet. But I'm too tired & fed up to even think about starting that project. Thanks for BandiBill & Usarcher for being patient & trying to help.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.parts-express.com/resources/indexes/cat6_24g.cfm up to 50 feet

http://www.parts-express.com/resources/indexes/cat5_molded.cfm up to 50 feet

http://www.parts-express.com/resources/indexes/cat5_snagless.cfm up to 50 feet

http://www.parts-express.com/resources/indexes/cat5_patch.cfm up to 75 feet

super prices al under 8 bucks super company

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK So the saga gets better ALL the time. Connected via Ethernet, No Wireless. Changed Settings to Ethernet on ATV. & hooked up to my small TV in my My Musical Office. Guess What ?? The ATV loses Synch with iTunes! No Kidding. True Story! I'm not making this stuff up. When I originally tested it in my Office with ethernet last week, it worked fine. Only Me !!! Perseverance & Determination ? Bah Humbug!! Smile L.O.L.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
OK So the saga gets better ALL the time. Connected via Ethernet, No Wireless. Changed Settings to Ethernet on ATV. & hooked up to my small TV in my My Musical Office. Guess What ?? The ATV loses Synch with iTunes! No Kidding. True Story! I'm not making this stuff up. When I originally tested it in my Office with ethernet last week, it worked fine. Only Me !!! Perseverance & Determination ? Bah Humbug!! Smile L.O.L.

Now, you still have to go back to determining if it is a hardware or software issue. I'd still keep the Ethernet connected so it doesn't introduce potential intermittent issues.

I'm sort of lost right now as to where you are at. Are you using the eMac as a test machine? What has been loaded up on that machine is it a clean install of OS X without any else but iTunes?

Also what the deal with the other people that are having similar issues on Apples forum. Is there a common issue.

It would be real nice to have another TV to test to see if the one you have is defective.

On a funny note. At least you don't have to crawl up into the attic now Smile
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Bandit. I am really starting to develop a complex here! Smile I feel like Why Me ? Anyway. No, I never used the eMac with the ATV. All has been tested with my Mac Mini. After I rebuilt iTunes completely the Wireless method worked seamlessly for 2 1/2 days. So it's either my Mac Mini or the ATV Hardware. May be coincidence but it seems the more stuff I put in iTunes, then the problem came back. My iTunes has almost 80 GB of Music & Video. Is that a lot ?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Beat Goes On...OK tonight after losing Synch with a Wired Connection to my Mac Mini, I can only think it's either the Mac Mini or the ATV. I now have the ATV synching Wirelessly with my old eMac running Tiger. So far, it is synching with no problems. But I've been down THAT road before. Now if I don't lose Synch with the eMac, that tells me it's Software problem on my Mac Mini. Which means I will then have to do a full Erase & Install of Leopard. Just thinking about doing the 100 or so updates make me sick. Of course I won't jump the gun until I'm certain it is 100% Synching completely with the eMac for at least a period of like three days. Remember, after I rebuilt iTunes, I got a good 2 1/2 days of perfect synching. That fooled me into thinking all was good. Well it wasn't & it's Not! Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still synching with the eMac. I'm going ahead & doing a full Erase & Install on my Mac Mini. It's been a year since I did a Clean install. What pushed me into doing this so suddenly, is after running Onyx, I got the Disc needs to be repaired message. I just repaired it 2 days ago so...it was a good excuse to reinstall a fresh copy of Leopard. Hope my Hard Drive is OK. That's the first time I ever got THAT message.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update #10:
Did a full Erase & Install of Leopard on my Mac Mini.
APPLE TV has be Synching for 18 hours straight!
All these hours of Troubleshooting & it was most likely Mac Mini & Software.
I should have tried the eMac with ATV from the start. Then I would have did the Erase & Install a lot sooner
I'm crossing my fingers... Bottom Line. If it loses synch now, it's either the ATV or Interference from outside, beyond my control.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Still Synching!!! Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 11:

I installed Fairmount & VLC & the ATV starting losing Synch with iTunes immediately. I have since uninstalled tthem & it's back up & synching.
Strange!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Update 11:

I installed Fairmount & VLC & the ATV starting losing Synch with iTunes immediately. I have since uninstalled tthem & it's back up & synching.
Strange!

This is great news. At least you know what the issue is now.
Good job.

If you don't have an external drive for the Mac mini, you might want to look at getting one. You can get a lot of different uses out of a single drive if you partition it.

ie. one partition can be a known working OS
another a complete back up of the mini
another a complete back up of the eMac
and yet another for data files, pics, music etc.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least I know I'm getting there! Smile I don't see how Fairmount or VLC could have anything to do with the ATV synching but what do I know ? At this point, I'll believe anything. Smile

I'm getting a Time Capsule for my B-Day. The old Model 500GB. I'm going to use it as my new router and TRY to use it's internal Hard Drive (the one built in) as a Network Hard Drive & keep my iTunes folder there. I'm going to Gigabit Ethernet connect from Time Capsule to my Mac Mini. Some folks say it can be done, others say there will be problems with Mounting & such. Worse comes to worse I'll use it as a Router with a Network Drive to Store things. I want to use it in it's "N" mode, due to the ATV having "N" (draft). If I use it in "N' mode do you think my eMac ("B") & my PC ("G") will connect on "N". Is "N" Backward Compatible ? I appreciate & value your knowledge & opinions. Btw, I'm getting a great deal on the older version Time Capsule. Thanks!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: