123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iTunes Loses Synch with Apple TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Man, what's Up ?
No it has happened with the last 2 or so Versions of iTunes. I just found out, it does not only lose synch when the Mac is asleep. I lost synch just now after turning on Caffeine. So maybe I'll go into my router settings & change the Channel. I hate to fool with my router though. Smile It's not the end of the world. Just a matter of inconvenience, because Yes, I could close iTunes & restart it.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also create another user account for trouble shooting purposes.

Just install iTunes, monitor the connection for a while. If it's rock solid, then add applications until you figure out the culprit.

I know, I know... I love to make you do a lot of work Smile

At least if you go this route then you can determine if it is a software or hardware issue.
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Hey Man, what's Up ?
No it has happened with the last 2 or so Versions of iTunes. I just found out, it does not only lose synch when the Mac is asleep. I lost synch just now after turning on Caffeine. So maybe I'll go into my router settings & change the Channel. I hate to fool with my router though. Smile It's not the end of the world. Just a matter of inconvenience, because Yes, I could close iTunes & restart it.

Well I guess a lot since I haven't been on here. Finally got around to taking the Apple hardware and software exams, so I am now a certified technician Cool

Bandit brings up a good point about the user account.

So other than the iTunes issue, how is your TV doing since we got it going?
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Man, Congrats On The Certification. That's an Accomplishment for sure! The ATV is working great Thanks To You! I'll never forget & I'm still amazed how you did that. Narrating to me in iChat & me copy & pasting cpmmands in Terminal. That is one for the books, for sure & you got it to work. I have since bought the IDE Cable & it works flawlessly. We both know it's either my Network or iTunes. Yea I could make a Test Account (You Always Do Make Me Work!) Smile I'll try that. I have bigger headaches at the moment. How good are you with iMovie ? I need some serious Help! I'm working on a Project for someone & I'm having major issues.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
usarcher

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you need help on with iMovie, and which version.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Bandit Bill. That was YOUR idea! I must have been drinking when I read that & got the names mixed up! Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Sorry Bandit Bill. That was YOUR idea! I must have been drinking when I read that & got the names mixed up! Smile

Quite alright Dino.
I'd rather give you the solution than a troubleshooting tip though.

Oh well. At least you will know if you have a hardware issue. You can then decide if you want to invest the time troubleshooting software.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bandit Bill, are you saying maybe my TV is the problem ?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
So Bandit Bill, are you saying maybe my TV is the problem ?

Just saying you have to troubleshoot by through process of elimination. If you load a user account with iTunes only and the TV runs rock solid then you know for sure that the hardware IS good. You also know that the version of iTunes and the OS version are not the issue at that point. Then you can move on to troubleshooting further.

You may be experiencing interference from an external source. So many things run in the 2.4 GHz spectrum. You're microwave, cordless phone etc. may be the culprit. Easy fix is to change the channel the router is broadcasting on. It's easier than you may think.

Pretty much you have to figure out what ISN'T to figure out what it IS.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK BanditBill, I am currently trying different channels on my router. You were right, it's easy! A lot easier than adding all the ports I had to open when I had iChat problems. Smile Anyway I tried Ch. 2 first. It dropped the Apple TV in minutes. So now I went the other end of the spectrum & tried Ch. 11. It lost Synch again. It seems it loses synch faster when using specific Channels rather than keeping it on Auto. I'll keep trying different Channels though. Maybe I'll get Lucky! Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Question!! Reply with quote

Question: After I go through all the Channels & if I still have an issue, How about I cancel the Synch with my Mac Mini & Start over again using my old eMac & Synch it's iTunes with my ATV ? Good idea or not ? Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Question!! Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Question: After I go through all the Channels & if I still have an issue, How about I cancel the Synch with my Mac Mini & Start over again using my old eMac & Synch it's iTunes with my ATV ? Good idea or not ? Smile

If I understand you correctly you will use the eMac with the TV instead of the Mac mini. Sure that's an option, but I honestly don't think you need to go there. The mini will certainly make a nicer more power friendly server.

You've already established that via changing channels you can get TV to lose sync more quickly. I'm sure you will find a channel that works without interference. Here are a few tips on routers
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx

I think you have finished with your troubleshooting, now you simply need to make the two devices talk without interference.

Way to go Dino!
Soon you'll have resolved enough issues, that you'll be able to write your certification exams. Smile
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I'm doing a Test Account on the Mini. I sent you a Long Winded PM. Sorry. Smile I got the new Account (Test) to synch with iTunes. So far the ATV is staying. If the Apple TV stays in the Test Accounts iTunes, that would mean that it wasn't a router/ Networking issue & also not a Hardware ATV issue but some 3rd Party App I have loaded that is interfering with the ATV iTunes Synch. Correct ?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely that would be correct. The only thing that could throw a wrench into that theory is if something is actually causing intermittent wifi issues and it never comes into play. ie. using the microwave

p.s. I don't know the answer to you PM
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. The Test Account Lost Synch after 20 Minutes. So maybe it's my TV. It was after all, a Display Unit. There are a couple of more Channels I need to test on my router, so...

As far as a Microwave. I'm home alone right now & nothing is running. I have a land line house phone & I have DSL & 2 Cordless Phones in the house that are constantly being used my Stepdaughter. Ugh!!

I guess it could be the combination of having DSL & Cordless Phones. That's what I'm thinking at this point.

The network connection is solid on the ATV. Full 5 Bars. Even when I lose Synch with iTunes, I can still go to YouTube & watch Videos, So the connection between the ATV & my Router are Solid always!
So it's something happening on my Mac. I am hard wired on the Mac Mini because that's where my router lives about 3 feet from my Mac Mini.

I'm trying to draw you a picture of my particular set up as to give you ideas on what it might be.

Thanks so much for the help. I do appreciate it!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: