123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ever use your AppleCare for repair of your laptop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Ever use your AppleCare for repair of your laptop? Reply with quote

I'm about a month from the end of the 1 year warranty on my BlackBook. When I got it, I planned to eventually get AppleCare. If I do, I'll score it on eBay for less. But, now that its time, I'm questioning if I should do without it. I know its a good thing to have on portables, but wonder if I'd need it. I'm careful with my machines and don't beat on them or abuse them.
I got AppleCare on my PowerBook and 1st Mini, and never used either. I never use their phone support, for the minimal troubleshooting I need to do, I find the information I need online. Sure, its a coin toss whether I'd need the repair service. But knowing my luck, if I buy AppleCare, I wont need it. And if I don't get it, I will need it. So, if you've used AppleCare for repair of your laptop, specifically what was it for?

Thanks!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my 4th laptop in a little over 12 years now. I've never purchased or had need of Applecare. End up buy a battery every few years or a new power adapter as I the original gets shredded. Every few months I even boot up the old ones every 6 months or so and they still run like champs... slow arthritic champs.

Pretty happy so far with the 2009 MBP.

Powerbook Wallstreet G3
Powerbook Ti -G4
Powerbook Al - G4
MacBook Pro Intel 2.4
MrBabou

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Apple laptop I owned was one of those silver PowerBooks. It did break. They had to change the motherboard. That part would have cost $1000 itself alone, not counting labour, if I had to pay for it. I was happy I had AppleCare.

I currently own a white 13" MacBook, but that one never needed repair yet. I do have AppleCare on it though.

Personally, if there is one thing on which I recommend taking an extended warranty on, it's laptops. But like you said, it's like any other kind of insurance: you might pay for it for your entire life, but end up never having to use it. Rolling Eyes
Wedge

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screens and logic boards are really expensive for Apple notebooks ($700+), so that's why I have AppleCare on my various machines.

The other parts aren't as expensive though - HDs, RAM, optical drives, power adapters and batteries are all relatively inexpensive.

My last MacBook Pro had a ton of warranty repairs - 2 logic boards, optical drive, hard drive, display inverter, 2 batteries, and a power supply. So many repairs, that when it needed another display inverter and/or a logic board, Apple asked if I'd like a replacement unit instead of repairing this one, and I took them up on it.

Conversely, the MacBook, iBooks, and PowerBook G4 12" that I owned previously never needed a single repair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: