123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OWC Intros Express Hard Drive Enclosure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: OWC Intros Express Hard Drive Enclosure Reply with quote

OWC Intros Express Hard Drive Enclosure
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

OWC today announced the release of their OWC Express USB 2.0 bus-powered enclosure for 2.5" SATA drives. This new 2-ounce ABS plastic enclosure is roughly the size of an iPhone and accepts a single 2.5" SATA I/II hard drive. It comes in Smooth White, Sleek Silver and Discreet Black colors and sports a rather cool looking blue status indicator LED and fanless design. It also includes a USB 2.0/1.1 Mini-B connecting cable, carrying sleeve and one-year warranty. The OWC Express is available now and priced at $19.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1211.html

Last edited by admin on Tue May 26, 2009 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Huff

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firewire would have be nice, but it sounds like a decent enclosure for $20 bucks. I'm thinking the old 120GB drive from my Mac mini could find a home in one.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this drive will spin down while connected to an AirPort Extreme for AirDisk? I tried it with my WD Passport and it always ran. Now, was that from it being bus powered or did it have something to do with the chipset?
tundraSQ

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff wrote:
Firewire would have be nice, but it sounds like a decent enclosure for $20 bucks. I'm thinking the old 120GB drive from my Mac mini could find a home in one.

yeah maybe FW800 too? Rolling Eyes
Huff

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tundraSQ wrote:
yeah maybe FW800 too? Rolling Eyes

It looks like they have plenty of room. Hey, if Apple can cram firewire into the MacBook, they should able to do it too.... Wink

I ordered one in white by the way.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a new accessory in matte black? I certainly hope this is the beginning of a trend. I'm tired of seeing that glossy stuff that gets all fingerprinted up. It doesn't appear to be plastered with a logo or cost that much either. By George, they could have a winner here. It's a shame I don't need a 2.5" enclosure. Laughing

I actually have one of their USB On-The-Go enclosures. It's has held up pretty well over the years. They also have it in FW 800/400 flavors, but I couldn't justify the price. In fact, they were ridiculously priced in comparison.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Is that a new accessory in matte black? I certainly hope this is the beginning of a trend. I'm tired of seeing that glossy stuff that gets all fingerprinted up. It doesn't appear to be plastered with a logo or cost that much either. By George, they could have a winner here. It's a shame I don't need a 2.5" enclosure. Laughing

I actually have one of their USB On-The-Go enclosures. It's has held up pretty well over the years. They also have it in FW 800/400 flavors, but I couldn't justify the price. In fact, they were ridiculously priced in comparison.

Completely different topic, but I prefer glossy black although it gets fingerprints on it easily. After looking at and holding the new Nintendo DSi, not only does it look horrible but it feels horrible too, it gave me a fear of matte black. It's just a personal preference though Very Happy
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old matte black MacBook sure could get all smudged up. I think it sort of depends on the texture of the plastic. I do like it better than glossy though, at least when it's done right. I also find glossy plastic to be annoying when it goes around a TV or screen. It's getting harder to find one without it though.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
FishKepr

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's made of plastic, should we be concerned about it getting hot?

Also, is it possible to know in advance if you will need the 'Y' cable to supply extra power?
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:
Since it's made of plastic, should we be concerned about it getting hot?

My WD Passport gets a little warmish, but that's pretty normal for these little plastic 2.5" enclosures. I also noticed these units have open vents going down the side, so I can't imagine them being any worse when it comes to dissipating heat. They could even be better.

FishKepr wrote:
Also, is it possible to know in advance if you will need the 'Y' cable to supply extra power?

I'm not 100% sure, but that probably applies to older Macs and using a 7200RPM hard drive in the enclosure. I don't think that will be an issue with a newer Intel-based Mac. I could be wrong though. It's probably something you have to test out or ask about.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone get one yet? I was thinking about buying two in black, but wondered about the overall quality and innards. I have two old 80GB drives sitting around and doing nothing.
YesHD

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one delivered in silver yesterday. The plastic top is a little flimsy until you get the hard drive in and things screwed down. That being said, it only connects to the bottom half with two screws in the back (where the USB connector is) and a single plastic tab with sticky tape on the front. That means you can pull the corners up a little on the front. I think it would have been better with screws on each corner, but it still does a decent job of holding everything together. It also performs well with the 120GB Hitachi I pulled from my Mac mini. I'm getting like an overall Disk Test score of 30 with Xbench. And it looks like the hard drive has plenty of breathing room with those holes going down each side. I copied over like 70GB worth of data and the thing barley warmed up. So overall, I'm pretty happy with this thing. I would probably buy another one if needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: