123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.5.7 [U]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacScout67 wrote:
I was able to update to 10.5.7 with Software Update, but now my Software Update button is grayed out in About This Mac. Is that the definition of ironic or what? If anyone hears of a fix, please let me know.

I'd run Onyx or repair disk permissions and download and run the combo update direct from Apple. Then run Onyx or repair disk permissions again. You can't hurt it by reapplying a combo over the smaller update.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquaman. I was probably too optimistic with my repair your disk permissions statement. But I have overcome that same type of warning message before with a QT update.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I'd run Onyx or repair disk permissions and download and run the combo update direct from Apple. Then run Onyx or repair disk permissions again. You can't hurt it by reapplying a combo over the smaller update.

Yeah, I'm going to try applying the combo later tonight. Repairing the disk permissions didn't bring it back to life. Oh well, I need to head into Vista to get some work done. My lunch break is officially over in four minutes. Sad
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when is Apple going to release 10.5.7.1? This update kinda sounds like a giant POS at this point. I'm definitely in no hurry to upgrade.
idave

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with SU here. No problems with my other software or hardware either. Safari 4 also continues to feel nice and snappy after being updated. It just works! Smile
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got 10.5.7 running on the new Intel Mac mini. I just happened to fire up Software Update again and went the entire way. It's strange that 10.5.7 is hit or miss like that without changing anything. I've never seen anything like that in all my years.
iLife's a Bitch!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about 10.5.7 performance, but the new Safari 4 beta or whatever feels so fast. I just hope they tweak the interface some before Snow Leopard comes out. I absolutely hate having the refresh button in the address bar and that tab layout.
tundraSQ

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipperyRock wrote:
So when is Apple going to release 10.5.7.1? This update kinda sounds like a giant POS at this point. I'm definitely in no hurry to upgrade.

New to the mac world? Rolling Eyes
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Aqua, did you resolve this? It seems that this update is not playing well with external USB devices in some cases. The Apple and MacRumor boards are littered with people having problems with this update. Try unplugging all external USB devices except the keyboard and mouse and installing the combo directly from Apple. Skip the Software Update app.

The "repair permissions" after this update seems to have a crap ton of "frontrow " messages in it for some reason.

...it worked on my iMac after I closed the Software Updater and restarted it, like I posted above, but coming to think of it, I also did unplug my FW800 WD My Book. ...so that could have been causing the problem as well.
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tundraSQ wrote:
New to the mac world? Rolling Eyes

Nope! I was sort of kidding around. That being said, I remember Apple releasing a v1.1 for 10.4.10. Don't you remember those audio pops?

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_4_10_Combo_Update_v1_1__Intel_
FishKepr

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update went smoothly via Software Update, but holy crap that was a long restart!
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:
Update went smoothly via Software Update, but holy crap that was a long restart!

The actual restart didn't take that long for me. It was the download and installer that took foreeeevvveeer. I also think it's starting up a little faster now. Perhaps just a couple seconds or so faster.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Zuma

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is a known issue, but I noticed something strange tonight. My Macs won't stay connected to an 802.11n AirPort Extreme base station unless it has an assigned wireless channel. It seems like you can't use the default automatic channel mode anymore. It causes major slowdowns and drops out every few minutes. I changed mine to channel 5 and everything is working great again. Has anyone else here noticed this?
Thomo

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was in the apple shop yesterday and was told that there are some graphic issues with this upgrade - something to do with hdmi connection.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomo wrote:
Was in the apple shop yesterday and was told that there are some graphic issues with this upgrade - something to do with hdmi connection.

My friend had this issue on his Mac Mini, when plugged to an HDTV through HDMI it seems the resolution isn't supported. ...although VGA works.

Maybe it's Apple's evil attempt at getting people to buy AppleTV Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: