123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belkin USB 2.0 and FireWire 6-Port Hub for Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobDylan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: It's Noisy Reply with quote

Mine just arrived today and I can confirm this hub is noisy. I can also confirm the noise comes from the switching power supply. Opening the hub was really easy (take a thin wire and loop it around 2 preferably opposite tabs). Does anybody know of a solution to prevent the switching power supply to vibrate or to isolate the damn thing ?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: It's Noisy Reply with quote

BobDylan wrote:
Mine just arrived today and I can confirm this hub is noisy. I can also confirm the noise comes from the switching power supply. Opening the hub was really easy (take a thin wire and loop it around 2 preferably opposite tabs). Does anybody know of a solution to prevent the switching power supply to vibrate or to isolate the damn thing ?

I have the noise but it only comes when things are connected to the front ports. To be honest the noise is so faint you can barely hear it. Does yours make noise when things are connected to the back? BTW got any pictures of the thing opened?
iLife's a Bitch!
BobDylan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was noisy even with nothing connected. Sorry for the pictures, but I returned it for a refund.
mac_rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine hasn't made any noises at all!

And I have my ipod, SanDisk 12-in-1 Card Reader, DVD burner all connected in the back ports. I never hear them come on, nor have I had any sounds when I connect my palm to the front usb port.
Lacie DVD RW DL 8.5GB Capacity USB 2.0
SanDisk 12-in-1 Card Reader
Sony SDMP234 - 23" WS Monitor
4GB Silver iPod Mini
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac_rules wrote:
Mine hasn't made any noises at all!

And I have my ipod, SanDisk 12-in-1 Card Reader, DVD burner all connected in the back ports. I never hear them come on, nor have I had any sounds when I connect my palm to the front usb port.

Mine makes a real faint noise. You can barely hear it, although, my dog never comes around anymore. Laughing
iLife's a Bitch!
rrappel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Is my Belkin hub possessed? Reply with quote

I recently bought one of these from amazon, hooked it up according to the directions. When I first powered everything up, the white LED on the front was approx. as bright as the light on the mini. Powered the mini down, tried everything the next day and now the light seems to vary in both color and intensity (sometimes completely off), even with the mini powered down!

Haven't contacted Belkin as yet; amazon is shipping me a replacement. I'm assuming the light is just indicating the hub is receiving power from the Firewire port on the mini so shouldn't change except if the mini is unplugged. BTW, the hub appears to work fine other than the light behavior.

Anybody see something like this with their Belkin hub?

Thanks,
Ron
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my Belkin hub possessed? Reply with quote

rrappel wrote:
I recently bought one of these from amazon, hooked it up according to the directions. When I first powered everything up, the white LED on the front was approx. as bright as the light on the mini. Powered the mini down, tried everything the next day and now the light seems to vary in both color and intensity (sometimes completely off), even with the mini powered down!

Haven't contacted Belkin as yet; amazon is shipping me a replacement. I'm assuming the light is just indicating the hub is receiving power from the Firewire port on the mini so shouldn't change except if the mini is unplugged. BTW, the hub appears to work fine other than the light behavior.

Anybody see something like this with their Belkin hub?

Thanks,
Ron

The light on my Belkin Hub works fine. It's a little brighter than the Mac mini's light. I bet something is wrong with your light. Have you noticed any other problems with Firewire? That would be the only thing to worry about.
iLife's a Bitch!
rrappel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. The only Firewire accessory I'm running right now is an iFire audio amp, and that seems to work just fine. I just got the replacement hub from amazon today, will see if that fixes the light issue.

Ron
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the new one works out for you! Very Happy
iLife's a Bitch!
rrappel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fired up the new hub and the light seems to work just fine on this one. Thanks again for your help g5g5.

Ron
brianbobcat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I got mine! Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

I really don't mind the LED. I think the brightness, color, size and location of the hub's LED all match the Mac mini's LED. Maybe I just got lucky with mine as far as the brightness goes. Gotta say I'm pretty happy with mine. I thought the thing was going to feel like a hollow plastic piece of crap, but it doesn't. It's really solid and well made as far as hubs go. By the way, you were right about the hub being powered by Firewire. USB won't work unless you have the Firewire plugged in.

I'm not a mac mini owner, I'm actually a G4 cube owner, but I have a 23" Apple Cinema Display and I wanted a USB and firewire hub. We'll I ordered this one, and I put it under my 23" LCD. I was afraid that the display would be too heavy, and crush the por thing. This was made to go either above or below a mac mini, which apple says weighs 2 lbs., while my display weighs in at a compatatively whoping 15.5lbs. So I got it last week and put it under my display, and it fits PERFECTLY!!!!.
The front of the display's foot which narrows as it gets further back is about 1/8" wider than the hub. The hub, which has airvents at teh bottom and nderside of it slightly depressed when I set the display on it, but has been holding up fine for about a week now. The LED also looks nice, but my display's LED is only on when the display is off, something I wish I could change. Unfortunately since it was meant to go under a mini, the included cables do me no good seeing as how the ports on the back of the display are about 12" away not 6" which is the length of the included cables. The .5 meter apple thin firewire cable is an awsome fit for me because it was the right length, but is also white to match the hub and also since it's thin it fits where I need it to. Now all I need to do is to get a 12" USB cable needed for me to use my USB portion and I'll be all set.

I'll keep checking back here if anyone has any questions.

-Brian
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been happy with mine so far. The little thing is pretty sturdy and hasn't failed on me. The 23" ACD is soooo nice! How long have you had it?
iLife's a Bitch!
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has worked great as well. I do not seem to have the fan noise that other users have noticed. I think it really compliments the mini and is a perfect addition.
brianbobcat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my display since june, and it's perfect. My hub is also nice, ut I cannot comment on any noise it makes because 1. I only have one thing connected to it as of yet, and 2. because I don't have a long enough USB cable to plug itin yet. I'm very pleased by both products.

-Brian
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
Mine has worked great as well. I do not seem to have the fan noise that other users have noticed

The hub doesn't have a fan. The noise comes from the switching power supply.

Quote:
I think it really compliments the mini and is a perfect addition

Me too! Very Happy
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Gear Guide All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: