123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie Intros d2 Network and Big Disk Network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: LaCie Intros d2 Network and Big Disk Network Reply with quote

LaCie Intros d2 Network and Big Disk Network
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

LaCie today announced the availability of their d2 Network and Big Disk Network NAS solutions. According to the company, these professional level file servers with Gigabit Ethernet are optimized for users to instantly store, share, and backup files, from any PC or Mac on a wired or wireless network. Users can also connect an external USB drive to increase security through scheduled backups, or even expand capacity. The d2 Network also includes an eSATA connection for external storage expansion. Both models also feature a built-in torrent client, and can act as a UPnP AV or iTunes server for streaming media files. Pricing for the d2 Network starts at $189.99 and $379.99 for Big Disk Network.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1207.html

Last edited by admin on Wed May 06, 2009 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built-in iTunes server? Anyone tried that? What happens when Apple updates iTunes? Etc.

And does anyone think Apple will ever put a built-in iTunes server into Time Capsule/Airport Extreme/new product? Or do I need to just forget about that and simply use my old Mac mini G4 as an iTunes server?
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Texark

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
What happens when Apple updates iTunes?

Nothing. Apple would have to change the sharing protocol (DAAP + Bonjour) that iTunes uses for these devices to go dark. They are basically just sharing over a library.

It would be nice to see Apple come out with a MediaSmart type box. That being said, it would probably cost an arm and a leg. I guess they could always do something with the Time Capsule for sharing. I'm not sure why they haven't already though. It seems like every other NAS out there these days works with iTunes. They are late to their own game.
jdryyz

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about a Mac-friendly NAS solution and this seems to be it. Unless, of course, someone can recommend something better.

Does LaCie sell them without drives installed though? I'm concerned that they may not use the best mechanisms available.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Lacie design. ...but I don't know about the hard drives they use in this enclosure. On the black 2.5 external drives they use Toshiba though, which I really don't like.

Depending on how many computers you have, how far in the future your thinking, how much you're willing to spend, and data you plan to store, I would recommend Drobo or a Windows Home Server (either HP or custom built). ...those two just seem to be the best solution for storing data securely to date. Lacie did have plans to release a WHS, but I have no clue what happened to that idea (it was suppose to get released 2008); and that would be nice cause we'd likely be able to add our brand of hard drives, as well as decide if we want a 500GB HDD, or a few 2TB HDD's.

On other note, Lacie came out with REALLY COOL flash drives shaped like keys and coins...

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10052
Grover Time

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaCie makes great looking stuff, but that's one thing I like about buying drives from OWC. There are no surprises when it comes to the type of drives they use. It's listed right there on the product page.

I love those key drives ESUNintel! Cool
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdryyz wrote:
Does LaCie sell them without drives installed though? I'm concerned that they may not use the best mechanisms available.

Nope. I don't think that I've ever seen a barebones enclosure from LaCie.

ESUNintel wrote:
Depending on how many computers you have, how far in the future your thinking, how much you're willing to spend, and data you plan to store, I would recommend Drobo or a Windows Home Server (either HP or custom built). ...those two just seem to be the best solution for storing data securely to date.

I've been using the MediaSmart EX485 for like two months. It's just an awesome all-around solution for backups and serving up media. I almost went with the Drobo instead, but the MediaSmart just won me over in the end.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
jdryyz wrote:

Nope. I don't think that I've ever seen a barebones enclosure from LaCie.

ESUNintel wrote:
Depending on how many computers you have, how far in the future your thinking, how much you're willing to spend, and data you plan to store, I would recommend Drobo or a Windows Home Server (either HP or custom built). ...those two just seem to be the best solution for storing data securely to date.

I've been using the MediaSmart EX485 for like two months. It's just an awesome all-around solution for backups and serving up media. I almost went with the Drobo instead, but the MediaSmart just won me over in the end.

There are times I wish I had went with the HP MediaSmart, not only cause of it's nice design, compact size, but also cause of its included time machine capabilities (even though I don't think it can fully recover a Mac, but can recover data) and even warranty. ...but I didn't, I built one; and I do like it, just not a compact as I would've hoped.

I really considered Drobo, but WHS has that website you can use to log-in remotely (if you use IE), and to access files and folders from any browser, from anywhere in the world (as long as you can access the Internet). I also like the fact that WHS is really Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition, so there are lots of Add0ins available out there and you can run SharePoint among a lot more that only a server can handle.

Really though, Lacie should come out with a WHS, or some type of data/file server, even if Linux based. Seems like HP is the only choice out there ...and that's ok, HP is a good company, but choices are always nice.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drobo has a decent community, but those are some of the features and things that won me over. The MediaSmart also has built-in networking. Drobo + DroboShare will end up costing you about $150 more. And that's if you use some of the coupons and partner deals floating around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: