123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix Reply with quote

With 9.04, UNR is the first official Canonical release of a netbook remix optimized for the Intel Atom chip. You download it as a .img file and put it onto a usb pen drive with a program called image-writer. UNR 9.04 is reputed to work on the Acer AspireOne, Asus EeePC, Dell mini 9, Samsung, and the MSI Wind, which is what I have. I just booted it in live mode, and found that it not only gives me wireless out of the box, but it allowed me to connect to my wpa2-encrypted router. I believe this is the first live distro I tried that does this. I like what I see and I recommend that you try it if you have a netbook. I'm going to install it tomorrow.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having two issues with my Asus 1000H.

1. I cannot connect to my Airport Extreme base station with WPA2. It seems to work with WEP on another router though.

2. Once I boot into Windows XP with Grub and go back to UNR, it's in a funky resolution and stuck in the middle of the screen. This only seems to happen after using regular Ubuntu mode. But once this happens, it's just stuck. I trashed the partition twice, reinstalled, and it still does the same thing once you switch modes.

I really like the looks of UNR, but #2 is killing me.
iLife's a Bitch!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched from WPA/WPA2 Personal to WPA2 Personal and it's working now. I still get asked to "Enter password for default keyring to unlock" at startup though. Do you know how to bypass this Fox?

Now, I'm just afraid to switch desktop modes. Everything else seems to working great.
iLife's a Bitch!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Switched from WPA/WPA2 Personal to WPA2 Personal and it's working now. I still get asked to "Enter password for default keyring to unlock" at startup though. Do you know how to bypass this Fox?

g5g5, I think a solution to your problem is explained here. I haven't had the problem, either because I don't store passwords on the keyring or because my password to keyring is the same as my login password.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I'm having two issues with my Asus 1000H.

1. I cannot connect to my Airport Extreme base station with WPA2. It seems to work with WEP on another router though.

2. Once I boot into Windows XP with Grub and go back to UNR, it's in a funky resolution and stuck in the middle of the screen. This only seems to happen after using regular Ubuntu mode. But once this happens, it's just stuck. I trashed the partition twice, reinstalled, and it still does the same thing once you switch modes.

I really like the looks of UNR, but #2 is killing me.

I think UNR is having some "teething" issues, even though it's deemed by Canonical to work well on your Asus and my MSI Wind. This is a different UNR than that of past Ubuntu versions; in the past you just added the netbook remix files to a standard Ubuntu installation whereas now, UNR is optimized specifically for the Atom processor and it leaves off some "extensions" that may make a difference. I have noticed some minor issues with my UNR installation on the Wind that I hadn't noticed with Ubuntu 8.10 + UNR (locking up and too-big windows). Neither occur frequently enough for me to not want to use it, but I won't be removing my 8.10 installation until I feel this one is totally stable. Others have complained about stability issues with new versions of Ubuntu until the 0.01 version is released, so I'm expecting this to turn out very well.

I don't know how to solve your problems, but here are two alternatives that might be more trouble-free:

(1) Standard Ubuntu installation with the addition of UNR files. Ubuntu doesn't recommend this because they say that the UNR files are out of date, but it's probably OK and if it's not you can just remove the UNR files.

(2) Install Easy Peasy 1.1. This is almost identical to UNR and the 1.1 version has received good reports.

By the way, I haven't tried switching from Ubuntu to UNR mode; I've set up my netbook to have separate installations for doing that. I did try it once with 8.10 and also had trouble, so I suspect the switch isn't ready for prime time yet.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5, I now know what you went through with the UNR mode switch. I tried it last night and had pretty much the same problem. Turns out to be a recognized bug in desktop-switcher; it has nothing to do with switching to Windows and back. I tried this myself and it took me 2 hours to recover. I almost gave up and just reinstalled UNR, but I persisted when I found this site which describes the bug and goes through a bunch of machinations to recover the lost menubar. The recovery is not difficult, but there were several suggestions and some didn't work. This is much worse than the bug I encountered with desktop-switcher in 8.10.

The good news is that there appears to be a fix in the form of an updated desktop-switcher (desktop-switcher_0.4.6_i386.deb). It is upstream at the moment, so you can't get it through Synaptic. You have to download it from the link provided on the bug site noted above. I installed the updated file last night, but haven't yet tried using it to switch desktop mode. I'll try it tonight and report back.

Update: desktop--switcher_0.4.6_i386.deb works on my Wind. I can now switch from netbook to classic mode and back without losing my menubar or getting any weird effects.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the information Fox! I'll have to look over things here. I had the strangest thing happen to me yesterday and missed out on your replies. Those are the issues though. I'm glad they aren't unique to the Asus 1000H.
iLife's a Bitch!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help g5g5. As you will see in the launchpad bug report discussion, the bug is not unique to any brand of netbook. If you like being able to switch from UNR to classic desktops, you'll want to download the updated switcher file. I haven't seen any reports of problems with it so far, except by people who hadn't yet recovered from the problem the original version of that file caused. One of the things I like about Ubuntu is that there are enough good people working on it that solutions to problems pop up quickly.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that fixed both issues Fox. Thanks again for the links!

I don't know about you, but I really like the Remix and Ubuntu 9.04. They seem polished and pretty stable. I just have a lot of catching up to do. It's been a while since I've played around with Linux in a big way. I'm talking SuSE 9.0.
iLife's a Bitch!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can trump that one, g5g5. Before I started fiddling around again with Linux, my last encounter with it was BUYING Suse 6.5 for my PowerPC. It really wasn't ready for prime time then and I quickly abandoned it.

UNR is very nice. Occasionally I get tired of the "menu" desktop, and now with desktop-switcher fixed, I can just change it without a reboot. This leaves me with an interesting option - I could abandon my older installation of Ubuntu 8.10 that is still on my Wind and try something else in its place. Ideally I want something less full-featured and very fast for quick-check internet use. One of these small footprint distros like Puppy or Damn-small or Tin-core might do the trick; I have yet to try one of these. Another one that's high on my list is Arch, which is very customizable but requires more reading to do it right. I've tried a slightly more user-friendly version of it called Chakra, installed on a usb stick right now. Unfortunately Chakra is still in alpha stage, but what impresses me about it is wireless out of the box without even installing it to a drive. Rounding out my distros of interest are Sidux, a very fast derivative of Debian, and VectorLinux a Canadian distro based on Slackware that has very nice artwork and is also fast. I've tried VL on a virtual machine and I wanted to try it live on my Wind. Unfortunately, the current version doesn't have a live optiion. I'm debating about installing it on my HD. Choices, choices - that's what I like about Linux. Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was cleaning out my desk yesterday (trying to keep my mind off this eye) and found that SuSE disk. It was actually the retail version of 9.1, so you've been around the block even longer. I came to the same conclusion at that time though. It just didn't feel ready for primetime. I don't know about some of the other distros, but that clearly isn't the case with Ubuntu anymore. It's a really nice operation system. I can also see why you're having so much fun tinkering around. Smile
iLife's a Bitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: