123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Updates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rfruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad , here I am gripeing about the price of a mini while others wish they had never even heard of ASD ...
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun !
2000 Civic hatchback
mark2741

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? did I miss something?
rfruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Mark you didn't miss a thing
2000 Civic hatchback
Travis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last night I officially gave up on waiting for the Mac Mini updates-

I ordered the iMac... if this wasn't my first apple I might have been able to wait a little longer
mark2741

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see the differences between the current Mini and the updated mini to be so much of a difference that you would move up to an iMac.

It sounds like you weren't a good fit for a Mini to begin with. 32MB of VRAM isn't worth spending hundreds more on an iMac IMO.
Travis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's some other reasons too- like the iSight, built in monitor, standard superdrive, standard mouse and keyboard- if I got all that seperatly with the mini it would only be about $200 under what I am buying my iMac for. I also have alot of USB things and I would have had to buy a USB hub- so yes you are right that the Mac Mini wasn't completely right for me.
mark2741

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had it all to do it over again, knowing what I know now, I would buy an iMac instead of the Mini. I didn't think I'd like OS X and the available apps for the Mac as much as I have. I thought about buying an eMac last year but the price scared me away from it. I finally bit with the Mini and love it, and have spent a few hundred extra to soup it up (MiniStack, 1GB Ram, new speakers, iMic, and will probably go with a new keyboard/mouse soon). So yeah, the iMac is a better value I think once you know for sure you're going to want to use the Mac as your main computer. I didn't know that until after I had bought the Mini.

Just as well, since apparently everyone seems to be waiting for these intel-based Macs anyway. So if they're available next year and they really are better and are a good value, then I'll be ready for one and won't think twice about the investment.

Good luck with your iMac!
Travis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I know I would be happy with a mac mini too, but I am confident that my iMac will become my main computer- its's a big risk starting a new OS and buying an expensive computer, but from discussions on this forum and one's like it I think I will be happy with OS X. I really wanted the mini to be able to use OS X, but then when I realized that I will probably love the operating system I decided to go with a more powerful computer.
rfruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forbes http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/11/07/apple-intel-video-ipod-1107markets03.html?partner=yahootix
says there might be a Intel mini in January, can I wait that long if need be ?
2000 Civic hatchback
Leander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there is a new intel-based mini in january, how will software be affected?

will every app/game/shareware program/freeware program that comes out immediately be intel only?

will games & apps support both an intel and a ppc main executable file? (afterall i dont expect every mac user on the planet to suddenly buy an intel-based mac)
mark2741

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be the opposite of what you are asking. Similar to the 64-bit apps on the PC - there are relatively few of them even though there have been 64 bit processor PC's at decent prices for a couple of years now.

I just bought my Mini last month. I'm not in the least bit worried about the hardware switch to Intel.
SStreet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you speak of has been handled.

With Xcode 2.1 you can create a binary that is both X86 and PPC in one package. So, all those vendors that are building apps right now are already creating dual binaries.

It might be a version upgrade before your new Mactel runs 100% native code, but you can bet the larger apps are already working on a release plan to distribute (patch?) or offer new version to be co-announced with the first Mactel.

See Steve Jobs presentation from the developer's conference.

Mac Mini 1.42GHz, 1G, 80G/4200RPM
tdmckee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for all the discussion regarding the secret upgrade, I was struggling with whether to try and get an upgraded one or just get a refurbed 1.42, but ended up going with the refurbed one - $599 for a 1.42/superdrive/512mb RAM/Airport+BT. Not a bad deal at all, I think - I had heard some vague speculation that they are even shipping these silent upgrades in the refurbished models, but when I checked the serial number on the apple website it just listed it as mac mini, not "late september". It's on it's way in the mail... should I hold up hope that it will actually have some updated specs, or just be happy with what I get? Smile

I know, if trying for a new upgraded one was a gamble, trying for a refurbished one was a major gamble, but in the end I couldn't justify the extra $100 just for "new" instead of "refurbished" and the chance that I might get the upgraded specs...

Does the double VRAM really make a difference for most regular useage? The only graphics intense things I might be doing would be the occasional photoshop edit and maybe playing some dvd's. That seemed like the most desireable feature in the new upgrades, since everything else (clock speed, hard drive, superdrive, bt) you could technically add yourself with a little elbow grease and some warranty-killing mods. Very Happy
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdmckee wrote:
Does the double VRAM really make a difference for most regular useage? The only graphics intense things I might be doing would be the occasional photoshop edit and maybe playing some dvd's.

With the caveat that you can't miss what you don't have Laughing I've never had a problem with the 32MB of VRAM. Display is fine, DVDs play seamlessly, and my occasional Photoshop use is fine as well.

Smile

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: