123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blu-ray Support Coming to iTunes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Blu-ray Support Coming to iTunes? Reply with quote

Blu-ray Support Coming to iTunes?
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Posted by: Brian

The iTunes 8.2 beta was released to developers earlier this evening alongside the latest iPhone OS 3.0 beta. No biggie, but here is where it gets a little interesting. This version of iTunes references DVD, Blu-ray Disc and video-related data from Gracenote in the About iTunes window. The same section in iTunes 8.1.1 only mentions CD and music-related data from Gracenote. Could this mean that Blu-ray support is finally on the way to iTunes and Mac OS X? I sure hope so! The thought of having a Mac mini-based media center with Blu-ray support brings a smile to my face.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1203.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Huff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would order the Sony slimline from Newegg tomorrow. This "bag of hurt" stance really needs to end.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my doubts. It could just be a change in the licensing terms or something Gracenote requires. Plus, I think Apple is too arrogant these days to go back on the Blu-ray being a bag of hurt statement. You're going to get your HD downloads and rentals from us and enjoy them dammit! Choice schmoice. Laughing
Grover Time

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for adding Blu-ray playback. Hurry up already!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do Notice that of apple provided blu-ray support for the mac that it most likely will be only on the more expensive models.
Huff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
You do Notice that of apple provided blu-ray support for the mac that it most likely will be only on the more expensive models.

That doesn't prevent you from doing the upgrade on your own though. You should be able to use any Blu-ray once the support is built into the operating system or iTunes. Buying a drive from the likes of Newegg should also cost less money. I'm sure Apple will be asking top dollar for their Macs with a Blu-ray player or BTO upgrades.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff wrote:
I would order the Sony slimline from Newegg tomorrow. This "bag of hurt" stance really needs to end.

Yeah right, I won't support Blu-ray till I see George Lucas put Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray. When I see that then I support Blu-ray, but the big funny will be what if George Lucas put it on iTunes as a HD Digital Exclusive for a year? Twisted Evil
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
Yeah right, I won't support Blu-ray till I see George Lucas put Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray. When I see that then I support Blu-ray, but the big funny will be what if George Lucas put it on iTunes as a HD Digital Exclusive for a year? Twisted Evil

I think Spike TV has the exclusive on that one. It seems like they play them in HD every other day. Smile
CascadeHush

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only use for Gracenote as far as I know is when you are ripping media, and iTunes will never support ripping DVDs or Blueray. I'd say this is a cut-and-paste mistake.

iTunes is a horrible way to watch video anyway.

Anyway, blueray support requires very heavy underlying OS support, you can't just write an app to play blueray disks, you have to re-engineer the whole OS around it if you want to keep to the licence agreement.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time (if true)!! ...Steve Jobs did say Apple would wait for Blu-ray technology to become adopted by more, and it's happening.

I would so be willing to carry the weight of a MacBook if a BD drive is added, or maybe Apple can release a computer that's as cool as a Sony Vaio TT ...but with OS X of course.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
About time (if true)!! ...Steve Jobs did say Apple would wait for Blu-ray technology to become adopted by more, and it's happening.

I would so be willing to carry the weight of a MacBook if a BD drive is added, or maybe Apple can release a computer that's as cool as a Sony Vaio TT ...but with OS X of course.

Dude, 720p MPEG-4 Video file from iTunes will do more justice to a MacBook then a Blu-Ray Drive! 1) Battery Life and 2) ONLY MacBook you will see 1920 x 1080 is the 17" MacBook Pro other then that consider 720 x 1280 as a 4GB file where with a 50GB Blu-Ray size space can hold at least ten 720p HD Movies on your hard drive. Rolling Eyes
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

Dude, 720p MPEG-4 Video file from iTunes will do more justice to a MacBook then a Blu-Ray Drive! 1) Battery Life and 2) ONLY MacBook you will see 1920 x 1080 is the 17" MacBook Pro other then that consider 720 x 1280 as a 4GB file where with a 50GB Blu-Ray size space can hold at least ten 720p HD Movies on your hard drive. Rolling Eyes

...ya, you're right. I don't care about a computer having a BD drive that much anymore. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a nice option, but I think I prefer digital content over a disk now.

I just hope Apple does release a powerful little computer, something like the Vaio TT or Vaio P (but more powerful).
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
LE Studios wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

...ya, you're right. I don't care about a computer having a BD drive that much anymore. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a nice option, but I think I prefer digital content over a disk now.

I just hope Apple does release a powerful little computer, something like the Vaio TT or Vaio P (but more powerful).

MacBook Air can beat that Vaio P for sure and it has 1.86GHz Core Duo 2 with 6MB L2 Cache and 128GB SSD compared to Vaio P that a single 1.33GHz Pentium processor. Either way Apple definitely got Sony VAIO line beat especially since its a PC and uses Windows Vista and or Windows 7. Apple's Mac OS X Leopard and soon Snow Leopard is lightyears away. Also remember Apple is not just a software company but design its hardware for its software. Can't get no better than that. Very Happy
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:
LE Studios wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

MacBook Air can beat that Vaio P for sure and it has 1.86GHz Core Duo 2 with 6MB L2 Cache and 128GB SSD compared to Vaio P that a single 1.33GHz Pentium processor. Either way Apple definitely got Sony VAIO line beat especially since its a PC and uses Windows Vista and or Windows 7. Apple's Mac OS X Leopard and soon Snow Leopard is lightyears away. Also remember Apple is not just a software company but design its hardware for its software. Can't get no better than that. Very Happy

I have the Air and Vaio P, and I know the Air can beat the Vaio P for sure, and the Vaio TT (have never had a TT or TZ) as well. ...I'm just weird, and I rather sacrifice performance for portability. ...what I was trying to say is that Apple shouldn't forget those that want a laptop that weighs under 3lbs, and that want something smaller than the Air, again, take the TT for instance, 2.87lbs, 10.99(W), .93(H), 7.87(D); the Air only beats the Height. ...it just bothers me that Apple has forgotten that there's a few people out there that want something that small, but that's still capable of playing digital content without issues.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
LE Studios wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:
LE Studios wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

I have the Air and Vaio P, and I know the Air can beat the Vaio P for sure, and the Vaio TT (have never had a TT or TZ) as well. ...I'm just weird, and I rather sacrifice performance for portability. ...what I was trying to say is that Apple shouldn't forget those that want a laptop that weighs under 3lbs, and that want something smaller than the Air, again, take the TT for instance, 2.87lbs, 10.99(W), .93(H), 7.87(D); the Air only beats the Height. ...it just bothers me that Apple has forgotten that there's a few people out there that want something that small, but that's still capable of playing digital content without issues.

Yeah Apple didn't forget thats why we have the iPhone & iPod Touch. Like I said in another forum we stick with what you got somethings are not for everybody.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: