123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SuperDrive Conflicts with HD, must read before upgrade!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoffie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: SuperDrive Conflicts with HD, must read before upgrade! Reply with quote

I bought a superdrive Matshita UJ-845-B(http://panasonic.co.jp/mke/en/device/storage/dmd/dmd_845.html). However, my mini failed to recognize it. I cannot find the drive under System Profiler. It can suck in disks, so it is powered.

I plug back the original drive, and it works fine.

Do anyone here can help? Crying or Very sad

Last edited by yoffie on Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity have you tried the drive in another machine?
yoffie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not have a suitable system to try on. Crying or Very sad

Does it seem that I bought a bad drive? If so I will go back and ask for exchange.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean there always is a chance that the drive is bad. I would try re-installing it and if you have no luck return it for another. Sorry not much help!
yoffie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After beg for my girl friend. She let me open her Powerbook G4 and install the drive. You know what it works fine!!!!

I found that optical drives in powerbook use seperate ATA bus, while Mac Mini share the single ATA bus with harddrive.

I guess maybe the superdrive is set as "master" hence conflict with the Harddrive also set as master of the ATA bus.

I do not find any where on the superdirve to change such settings. Therefore I decide to change the setting of my harddrive to slave. I will let you know if it gona work.
yoffie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI ALL,

Finally I have some good new today. After I soldered (I do not have any jumper cap) the jumper of the harddrive and changed the status to slave, the Mac Mini recognize new superdrive smoothly! System profiler recognize it as MASHITA DVD-RAM UJ-845S, as someone mentioned in other posts. After use PatchBurn, everything runs smoothly.

So, the problem was caused by both harddrive and superdrive trying to claim as Master device on the single ATA Bus Mini has.

Hope this could help anyone who might come into such problem as mine.

BTW, does anyone knows a better way to change the master/slave status of Superdrive please do follow up this post. It is really difficult to find a jumper cap for 2.5" hard-drive nowadays (most of them ship without one) and soldering seems to be difficult for many people.

Thanks devo and this site.[/b]
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your drive is working! I didn't even think about jumpers or the DVD drive being on the same ATA bus as the HD. O well maybe your post will help someone else out!

Later
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: