123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need suggestions for a netbook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Need suggestions for a netbook Reply with quote

A bit ot here, but I need suggestions for a netbook for a friend. She would be mostly using it for school and light internet.
Requirements:
Must be an 8.9" she says 10" or bigger is too big.
Doesn't need a cam or bluetooth.
No more than $300 total.
Decent hd size or easily upgraded. Would be storing some music, videos, and pictures.
Color doesn't really matter, says some of the colored (pink, red, white, etc.) ones are 'cute', but could live with black.

I already recommended a Wind, but she says those are too big. We are leaning towards something from Asus, but not quite sure what.

Thanks!!!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, she's kinda narrowed it down already to only 1 that I can think of...

Asus Eee PC 901

Easily upgraded - check

Smaller than 10" - check

decent HD - check

sub $300 - maybe, you'll have to shop around......

Although, I wonder if she knows that there is virtually no size difference, physically, between a 8.9" and a 10", the physical dimensions are nearly the same, the biggest difference is the bezel around the screen, the 10" models the bezel is smaller.....

My 2 cents.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about a 901 as well. That would definitely need a hd upgrade though, but that should be pretty simple. I'd like to talk her into getting a Wind, they just seem a bit better, but I'm not going to win the battle of it being "too big".
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fiancee bought me a Lenovo IdeaPad S10 a few weeks ago. I think she got it on sale for $299. I don't know if you've looked at them, but they are pretty nice. It has a 10" screen though. How about the Dell Mini 9?

Last edited by Ben Tex on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
My fiancee bought me a Lenovo IdeaPad S10 a few weeks ago.

LUCKY!

That's what I wanted when I bought my Wind, there were none on sale and I couldn't find a good place to buy them otherwise.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
That's what I wanted when I bought my Wind, there were none on sale and I couldn't find a good place to buy them otherwise.....

It was surprise for my birthday. I'm pretty sure she bought it from either Mwave or Tiger Direct. I think it was an Easter sale or something. They normally run around $340 on those sites. I wouldn't feel bad about having the Wind though. Those are really nice too. I had to laugh at Apple's statement yesterday about these things being junk. I would put the quality of this Lenovo up against any of the plastic MacBooks. The overall build quality is top notch. And the keyboard is pure IBM/Lenovo. My only disappointment is with the battery life. This is the model with a 3-cell battery.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the Dell mini 9 working and I'm pretty impressed with it. Nice display, wireless second to none and battery life longer than others with 3 cell. I wouldn't buy it in preference to my Wind, but it would be at the top of my list for a 9" display. By the way, the weight is no different either between a Wind and any 9" netbook I've seen.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to go below a 10" screen. I even find the screen on my Asus 1000H hard to look at after while.

Have you tried the Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix yet Fox?
iLife's a Bitch!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, but I will soon. What about you, g5g5?

My Wind is not listed among the netbooks known to work with UNR 9.04 by Canonical, but several people on the Wind forums say it works. I'm going to replace an 8.04 installation with 9.04 so that I'll have 9.04 plus 8.10 installed. But first I want to make sure that anything special I put in 8.04 is saved.

UNR 9.04 is the first official version of UNR launched by Canonical, and this one is supposed to be specific to the Intel Atom chip. If I have problems with it, I'll use the standard Ubuntu and add the remix files to it, as I have in 8.10. But I can tell you from my experience with 9.04 on a virtual machine that it is faster and has nicer graphics than 8.10.
caulktel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the new UNR 9.04 on my Aspire One last night, and really like it. So far as I can tell everything works, including WiFi, sleep, ect. I quickly switched back to the native desktop though, didn't much care for the netbook interface. The only down side to the whole thing is, I had it install along side of my Windows XP and now it will no longer boot into XP. It shows it there in the Grub menu, but it just sits there forever saying that it is booting. Today I must figure out how to repair this. Crying or Very sad I can still see all my files though from the Linux side, so not all hope is lost.
iPhone 4S 16GB
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a program called super Grub that you can download and boot into. This should be able to repair your Windows Boot.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you reinstall Ubuntu, did you install grub to the MBR? Grub needs to be on the MBR to dual boot Windows.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the looks of that new ION-based Lenovo IdeaPad S12 with a 12" screen. They are going to start shipping in June with the GMA 950 and then later in the summer with ION. I just might buy one at that time.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2009/05/25/lenovo-ideapad-s12-first-notebook-wnvidia-ion/
forlan2074

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for a very unique skin for my acer netbook and i just got it from http://decalskin.com/ here. It is very easy to apply like a sticker and can easily be peeled off, it gives a very cool look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> SFF Computer and Netbook Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: