123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mouse acceleration curve in OS X...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jase

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Mouse acceleration curve in OS X... Reply with quote

One of the toughest changes for me in using OS X has been the mouse acceleration curve. It's dramatically different than any Windows or Linux pc I've used...

On OS X, the pointer will move very slowly if you move the mouse very slowly, and will fly across the screen if you move the mouse quickly. That's quite different than Windows or Linux, where mouse acceleration is much more linear. For a new Mac user, the mouse may seem bogged down, or you may constantly overshoot or undershoot your target.

Now, I'm not gonna start an argument about which is better. Objectively, each system has advantages. What each of us prefers is probably what we're used to.

However, for switchers who prefer a more Windows/Linux style mouse movement, I've run across three options in my brief quest to stop mousing like a drunkard.

1.) USBOverdrive - www.usboverdrive.com - A shareware utility that will give you more flexibility in setting your mouse options, including acceleration. I used this briefly on a Powerbook I owned for a short period of time last year. It helps. However, I haven't tried it on a Mini, and there are reports it may not work on the Mini for some reason.

2.) Logitech Control Center - If you have a Logitech Mouse, you can download Logitech's mouse driver software for OS X. It flattens the acceleration curve out quite a bit. It doesn't let you tweak much, but will come closer to a standard mouse action. Warning: If you make changes in the OS X mouse settings panel, it will override the Logitech settings until you reboot again, which restores the Logitech settings.

3.) Kensington Mouseware - I just bought a Kensington Mouse tonight at Best Buy, purely to try the Mouseware drivers. They only work with Kensington mice.These drivers give you control over the mouse acceleration curves. You can tweak the curves until satisfied. These worked flawlessly for me, and I'm finally back to mousing by instinct rather than having to think about it.

I'm sure there are other fixes... I've heard some people have suggested Microsoft's own mouse software for OS X, but I haven't heard how much that mimics Windows mouse movement.

If you've got other suggestions, I'd like to hear them!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I've never even noticed a difference. Perhaps I just easily adapt. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a logitech mouse http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=4980 to be exact. The movement is pretty much on par with Windows although like mavherzog I adapt easily to change. So I'm really not that tuned into it. My only suggestion would be to turn down the speed. Is it just the speed or are you having problems with erratic movement?
jase

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since switching to the Kensington mouse and drivers, I'm not having any problems at all anymore. I'm perfectly happy now. Problem solved, at least for me.

Using the Logitech drivers was an improvement over the native OS X drivers. Using the Kensington Mouseware was an improvement over the Logitech.

It seems to bother some people... and other people never even notice it.

I put the post up because I've read about the same exact issue in a half dozen forums or so... and most of the responses were variations on "The Apple way is better. Get used to it." Perhaps true, but not very helpful. Since this forum is fairly new, and bound to attract a few switchers, I thought I'd stick a post about it in here, in hopes that it'll help someone out.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea!
Addison

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see more mouse options in OSX. The Mac mini is my first Mac and Iím a little disappointed with the available control options in comparison to Windows. Perhaps there is a shareware program out there to help out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: