123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garden Hose Sizes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Garden Hose Sizes Reply with quote

I just bought a pressure washer and I'm having a difficult time understanding if buying a larger diameter garden hose will actually make any difference. It seems to work just fine with the 1/2" hose that I have.
I tested the hose and I'm getting around 3.5 GPM. The pressure washer requires 2.8 GPM. The manufacture however recommends a 5/8" hose as a minimum.

Anyhow, I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the fact that a bigger hose is going to deliver more water. How does this work when the outlet from my hose tap is smaller than 1/2".

Has anyone actually used a larger diameter garden hose and seen a big difference in day to day use?
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It follows Bernoulli's principle which describes the flow of an incompressible,
non-viscous fluid during non-turbulent flow.

p + dv^2/2 + dgy is constant.
p is the pressure (higher pressure means higher energy per unit volume)
d is the density (kg/m^3), v is the speed of the fluid, y is the height of the fluid (water tower).
g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 = 32 ft/s^2)
dv^2/2 is the kinetic energy per unit volume
dgy is the gravitational potential energy per unit volume.

Assuming you are using a municipal water supply, the water pressure is determined by the height of the water tower with the greatest amount of pressure being at the tip of the garden hose (no matter what the size). Notice that if the nozzle is of smaller diameter, the velocity of the fluid must increase, since the fluid is incompressible. Then, since the kinetic energy term increases and assuming the height of the tower does not change, the pressure must decrease. The pressure of the water will decrease as it flows through the hose due to friction of the inner walls on the passing water. The larger diameter hose will flow a greater volume of water but it will be at relatively the same pressure. The reason the manufacturer is asking you to use a larger diameter hose is to satisfy the volume demand. The pump on your washer is going to satisfy the pressure aspect by multiplication. The greatest enemy of any pump is cavitation (asking for a greater amount of fluid than can be supplied). They are probably erring on the side of caution.
I hope I haven't muddied the "water" too much. Very Happy
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is fine don't replace the hose. a larger 5/8 will deliver more gals per min then a smaller hose. if your pressure washer sputters change hoses.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The thing seized up on me the other day. It was only it's third use. I'm glad I bought it from Costco. It was $400 and it had a Honda engine. I'm not sure if the pump seized up or the engine. I can't pull the start cord any longer.

I sure hope it was getting enough water Smile
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like oil might have been more of a critical component in that equation.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Sounds like oil might have been more of a critical component in that equation.

SC

I checked the oil prior to using it each time and after it seized up. It was fine. I used the oil that came with the machine, so it should have been fresh and the correct type.

Being I'm in the process of building a garage, I will go with electric next time. I plan on running 220/240V power to the garage.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be my guess that the pump did, in fact, cavitate and seize. Crying or Very sad If you have any trouble on the warranty, the pumps are not that hard to take apart and repair. Probably less than 10 parts in the pump section, altogether.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
It would be my guess that the pump did, in fact, cavitate and seize. Crying or Very sad If you have any trouble on the warranty, the pumps are not that hard to take apart and repair. Probably less than 10 parts in the pump section, altogether.

That's my guess too. Strange though given I tested the flow rate. I know for sure that there was no additional draw of water within my house, during the three times that I used the unit. ie no washing machine, toilet, shower etc.

I doubt that I will have any issues as it came from Costco. I'm bringing it back tomorrow (Monday). I have the day off and I wanted to avoid the Easter madness over the weekend.

Any recommendations on an electric model. It doesn't need to be portable as I plan on keeping it hooked up permanently in my new garage. All I plan to do is wash my vehicles, but I like decent pressure. I don't like cheap junk either. I'm willing to spend up to $500.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electrics can be pretty steep. Karcher's and Bosch come to mind. I'm not sure if the Bosch is currently still in production, though. Models producing heated water run up usually over $1000.00 USD. If there is a Canadian version of Home Depot; it might not hurt to check there. Most of the ones that are commonly seen, down here, are the version that you have. A Honda engine hooked to whatever brand of pump. For $500.00 you should be able to get a very serviceable unit. Finding it will be the issue. Best of luck.
graceangela9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Garden Hose Sizes Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I just bought a pressure washer and I'm having a difficult time understanding if buying a larger diameter garden hose will actually make any difference. It seems to work just fine with the 1/2" hose that I have.
I tested the hose and I'm getting around 3.5 GPM. The pressure washer requires 2.8 GPM. The manufacture however recommends a 5/8" hose as a minimum.

Anyhow, I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the fact that a bigger hose is going to deliver more water. How does this work when the outlet from my hose tap is smaller than 1/2".

Has anyone actually used a larger diameter garden hose and seen a big difference in day to day use?

I will recommend you to use the small hose.Yes a hose with less then half will definitely work and will give out less water.But for watering the plants you should use the sprinkling water.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: A Hose is a Hose. Reply with quote

A few years ago (before Sears went bankrupt)
I had bought a Sears brand pressure washer.
It was the second cheapest model that came
with a free kit. Bought seperatly it would have
run something like $200 USD but together on
sale it was something like $129. The kit contained
a cart with wheels, various sprayer attachments
as well as the hose that you attach to your faucet.
The hose BTW was very thin. Something like
half an inch O.D.

It could take the paint off of your car if you
weren't careful. It was 110 volts. Sorry, don't
remember the model number. My neighbor
borrowed it to spray his sidewalk clean.
Worked great.

I guess what I'm saying is don't get fixated
on the hose diameter.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: