123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netflix comes to Plex
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Netflix comes to Plex Reply with quote

Netflix comes to Plex
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Posted by: Brian

Well, it looks like Netflix streaming has finally arrived on the best media center software for the Mac. All you need is a Netflix account, the latest version of Plex (0.7.14) and Silverlight from Microsoft. The Netflix plug-in (available in the Plex App Store) looks awesome too. I'm talking tons of fanart, high-resolution movie posters and detailed metadata. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1185.html
Huff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why I just bought a second Mac mini. I can't wait to get this going on the big screen. Cool
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a great application. I can't believe that it's free sometimes. Now, I just wish that I had a Netflix account.
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Plex works great, even on my 2006 Mac Mini Core Duo Reply with quote

I didn't realize how much I've wanted software like this, since I started trying to make my own HTPC in about 2004, until I tried Plex two days ago. The fact that its running on a computer fades away - like a proprietary set top box - yet it provides fairly simple access to your own media collections and its apps provide fairly easy access to some of the web's best content. It also performs better. The interface is far more responsive that Apple's own Front Row without Front Row's frustrating control lag. I swear that I see less (as in, none) video skipping and apparent buffering issues when viewing Hulu shows through Plex than I do in a browser on the same machine, though I can't explain why. Great job Plex and XMBC contributors. Keep up the good work.
1gkek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched my first netflix movie on Plex last night. It seamless and absolutely perfect.

I sent the Plex team a donation after they released the applications. I think they may have just earned another.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Netflix plug-in works like a charm. Man, this app just keeps getting better and better all the time. I wish these guys had been around a few years ago. I wasted so much time monkeying around with MediaCentral and CenterStage. Now I just sit back, relax and click away. I would still like to see Apple do something better with Front Row, but I can't imagine ever using another media center. It's just the best out there.
theGimpiest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I previously gave up on Plex because I couldn't figure out how to add content. I'm not stupid -- I've been using Macs since 1988, but this program made me pull my hair out.

I took another crack at it for Netflix and Hulu support. It took me an hour to figure out that you have to add apps to get them to work. It would be nice if instructions other than videos came with the program. Anyway, hulu and Netflix support is much better than that of Understudy in Front Row, though Plex can be somewhat unresponsive at times.

I'll definitely be using this for the foreseeable future.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Plex was a little confusing at first, but the menus and stuff seem to make more sense now. It also seems to work better with iTunes. Plus, that App Store stuff is really slick. I'm not a big user, but I can see why people really like it.
iRob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theGimpiest wrote:
I previously gave up on Plex because I couldn't figure out how to add content. I'm not stupid -- I've been using Macs since 1988, but this program made me pull my hair out.

You're not the only one! I consider myself a power user on PCs and Macs and Plex has that "Linux" feeling. Way too many configurable options.

That's why I tend to prefer the design choices made by the Boxee team. They've done well to streamline all the best in XBMC into a nice Mac-like experience.

That said, I admit that Plex's interface design is quite stunning. It has a more polished media center look than the bubblegum interface of Boxee.
  • Roku 2 XS
  • Samsung Blu Ray
  • Samsung TV
  • Logitech Squeezebox
  • iPad 2 - DVP Remote app, RedEye app, Plex app, Remote Buddy app, Apple Remote app, iPeng app
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who have gotten NetFlix working on Plex, are you using a pre-'09 Mini? I can't get it to work on my Mini, but it works fine on the MacBook. Everything else works in Plex except NetFlix. I'm trying to figure out whats different about my Mini that wont allow it to run. I posted on the Plex forum and it seems a few of us are having the same or similar problem, but can't figure out why.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
iRob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works on my pre-'09 Mini.
  • Roku 2 XS
  • Samsung Blu Ray
  • Samsung TV
  • Logitech Squeezebox
  • iPad 2 - DVP Remote app, RedEye app, Plex app, Remote Buddy app, Apple Remote app, iPeng app
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
Those who have gotten NetFlix working on Plex, are you using a pre-'09 Mini? I can't get it to work on my Mini, but it works fine on the MacBook. Everything else works in Plex except NetFlix. I'm trying to figure out whats different about my Mini that wont allow it to run. I posted on the Plex forum and it seems a few of us are having the same or similar problem, but can't figure out why.

I don't know if you've tried this or not yet, but..

Temporarily move the Plex Application and the ~>Library>Application Support>Plex and Plex MediaServer folders to some place safe,
then try downloading and installing a fresh version of Plex, and install NetFlix again. See if that works. Sometimes a setting can get F'd up in the App support folder, and won't change. If it does, you can then trade out your userdata folder to get back your Library. If not, just trash the new app and folders and put the originals back.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if you can tie multiple devices/computers to your Netflix account?

I currently have a Netflix account tied to my HD TiVo and want to try out the same account with Plex.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
betty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome. I just installed Plex for the first time, set up the Hulu app, and, wow, away I go. Very cool.

When opening a clip on Hulu using a standard web browser, one usually can choose between standard and high definition. However, I don't see that option when Plex opens it, and have a feeling it is standard def. Does anyone know how to toggle this?

Cheers,
betty

OOPS. Wrong thread. Sorry. Well, does anyone know the answer to this anyway?

Last edited by betty on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Anyone know if you can tie multiple devices/computers to your Netflix account?

I currently have a Netflix account tied to my HD TiVo and want to try out the same account with Plex.

Up to six devices can be authorized to access an account concurrentlly. I thought only one could connect at a time, but thats not correct. I'm currently watching two different movies on the MacBook and Mini in Plex just to test this.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD

Last edited by CaliforniaMini on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: