123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OCZ Intros Mac Edition Vertex SSDs and Memory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: OCZ Intros Mac Edition Vertex SSDs and Memory Reply with quote

OCZ Intros Mac Edition Vertex SSDs and Memory
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

OCZ today announced the availability of their OCZ Vertex Mac Edition Solid State Drives and memory solutions for Intel-based Macs. According the company, these new premium offerings are designed for Mac enthusiasts demanding the latest technology in storage and memory to increase productivity and performance.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1182.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... how much does the 250GB version cost?

edit: after a bit of research, I guess the 250GB version would be around 900$CAD.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
jrt1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like they could include quite the Mac tax at that price.
Fazzy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have a 120GB or 250GB SSD in my Mac mini, but they are still too expensive.
EldRick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Old news Reply with quote

This is old news - I did this to my new 2009 mac more than a month ago, using a 128MB Solidata SSD from DVNation.com

It runs faster than I had hoped - power-on to desktop about 15 seconds.
Zalez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what makes these SSDs specific to the Mac? Is it just the way the come pre-formatted or is there something else? I don't really know much about them.
ssfm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zalez wrote:
So what makes these SSDs specific to the Mac? Is it just the way the come pre-formatted or is there something else? I don't really know much about them.

I suspect it's nothing but pure marketing.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I'll stick to the G.Skill SSD's, they're not so pricey and yet they are still pretty good performers.

SSD's really need to start coming down in price though.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Old news Reply with quote

EldRick wrote:
This is old news - I did this to my new 2009 mac more than a month ago

Welcome to the forum EldRick. You sound like one of the cranky posters from Macdailynews forum Smile

Being they are totally different brands and not everyone was informed of your upgrade, I inclined to call this new news Wink
cheef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zalez wrote:

It's probably because of this, to give people thinking of buying one a tick in the box:

Quote:
with the peace of mind knowing they are tested in Appleā€™s own labs
Zalez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheef wrote:
It's probably because of this, to give people thinking of buying one a tick in the box:

That's probably it. That being said, I was just reading about the regular Vertex drives on Newegg and noticed some comments about the need for a Mac flasher to upgrade the firmware. I guess you need to do this under Windows. That probably doesn't make a difference using the drive, but it seems to be an issue with some people. Could it be that these drives include some extra piece of software of something? Your guess is as good as mine. By the way, it's not like I'm interested in buying one. I'm just trying to educate myself about them for the future.

Quote:
If you are a Mac user and have no access to a PC with jumpers and extension cables, then you are simply out of luck with respect to upgrading the firmware.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227396
docmacps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Tactical Marketing vs Technological Differences Reply with quote

Zalez wrote:

In order to display that Finder/Apple logo on the box or product label, OCZ would have had to submit it to Apple for some sort of 'approval' and participation in that branding program. My gut says there's nothing unique about the Vertex drive itself. OSX runs reasonably well on ANY SSD because of the OS's block size and alignment of data (unlike Win XP). But maybe there is a minor Firmware difference.

You'd have to be a seriously ill NERD to spend life energy trying to benchmark the difference between an off-the-shelf Vertex SSD versus the "Mac Edition". But the bigger issue is that OCZ acknowledges Apple's growing market share and customers WORTH going after -- and that's a good thing.

All I can say is I put one of thier cheapest 'Value' line SOLID Series SSD's in my MacBook - and it is the singularly BEST tech purchase I've made, gawd I wish I would have upgraded to an SSD months ago! Love it.

Doc
www.ssd-solid-state-drives.com
EldRick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that would make it Mac-specific is if they pre-formated it to Mac-style partitions. This would save you about 20 seconds when installing Mac OS on it the first time.

Other than that, any 2-1/2" SATA-2 or -3 SSD will work fine in a Mini. It's about a half-hour to replace the Apple drive in a new Mini, and you can use the original hard disk in an external USB or Firewire-800 enclosure, where it makes a great bootable backup if used with Superduper.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EldRick wrote:
The only thing that would make it Mac-specific is if they pre-formated it to Mac-style partitions. This would save you about 20 seconds when installing Mac OS on it the first time.

Other than that, any 2-1/2" SATA-2 or -3 SSD will work fine in a Mini. It's about a half-hour to replace the Apple drive in a new Mini, and you can use the original hard disk in an external USB or Firewire-800 enclosure, where it makes a great bootable backup if used with Superduper.

I agree. Calling it Mac specific is a bit of a marketing gimmick.
There are however a lot of people who don't know the difference between FAT32 and OS X Extended etc. (especially switchers).
Krametash

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...all of these ssd's seem so dam expensive
Is the speed actually that much faster?
One could purchase a 160GB 7200rpm HD form newegg for $70
and these are costing over $700!!!
20" Samsung Widescreen display
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: