123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases iTunes 8.1.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases iTunes 8.1.1 Reply with quote

Apple Releases iTunes 8.1.1
Monday, April 6, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has released iTunes 8.1.1 via its Software Update Utility and on the Web. According to the company, this update adds support for renting HD movies and provides a number of bug fixes, including addressing issues with VoiceOver and syncing with iPhone or iPod touch. iTunes 8.1.1 weighs in at 66.02MB and requires Mac OS X 10.4.10 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1181.html
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't seem like much of an update. I was really hoping that 10.5.7 would come out today. That could be more fun. Smile
jrt1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't having any real issues with 8.1, so this update didn't do anything for me. Nine times out of ten x.1.1 updates are a waste of time unless there's a major bug with the previous version.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say that you guys are missing the point of this update enabling HD movie rentals (which has been an Apple TV only feature to this point), but I don't see any listed for rental. I'm either missing something or they haven't added them in yet. Confused
Squid3660

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they released this early in the month, while I still have available bits in the bucket to use out of my monthly capped internet plan to actually download this. Otherwise Apple needs to start releasing these updates on cd-rom.

I wonder if there is a built in video deinterlacer in this update? Yes, there are still some people left who actually do use iTunes to watch video content... it's so much more stable than VLC and the playlist functionality is so much for versitile as well. With Movie2iTunes, Perian installed, and mpeg2 playback component, you can pretty much play any type of video file you want. Throw a bunch of your favorite shows together in a playlist, hit play, sit back and enjoy. Who needs Apple TV? The one thing that is missing is the deinterlacer, and me thinks Apple knows this and is not allowing this functionality on purpose because they know it will create the perfect video playback program for playing back ripped content. Instead, they want you to just buy all programming from iTunes Store. That is just speculation, and most of you are probably reading this thinking "Yea, that's old news, so what, quit yer whining". Well, in all honesty, I probably would purchase videos from the iTunes Store if my bandwidth wasn't metered and capped by my ISP at 6GB per month. Boy, now I'm just going off on a completely different tangent now. Sorry. Way too much coffee today. 10 cups. It just happened. I made coffee in the office this morning thinking that everyone would have some, but I was the only one who had any, well, all of it, actually. So... yea... here I am. Ok... I'm wrapping this up now.

In summary... iTunes 8.11 sounds like a very good update, and I hope lots of folks find it useful and makes them happy! Nothin wrong with that! GO iTUNES 8.11!! Go iTUNES in GENERAL! It's just really great! And lastly, GO APPLE... and Steve Jobs... and whoever that other guy is thats filling in for him. YOU ROCK! Oh, and thanks for updating the mac mini... that was just awesome. I wish I could buy one... I just can't afford it right now. You know... recession and all. Times are tough. Yea. But... I dunno... maybe next year. Oh... but please don't get the wrong idea about slow mac mini sales... cause, you know I think a lot of people really like the mini and they want to upgrade to the new one, they just can't yet, so don't be all like "Oh, mini sales are down this quarter, so lets cancel the entire line forever because no one is buying them". It's really not like that. It's just bad timing for a lot of people financially, all over the world. Who knows, I am getting a pretty nice tax refund in a few days, so maybe I will buy one then. Ok... so thats it... and... THANKS! Cause I know you are reading this, Apple!

Oh, and a word of advice to everyone... don't go changing the name of your home folder, cause that just really screws up your system. Ok... Im DONE now... really.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you having a nervous breakdown Squid? Wink

I don't think Apple is going to pull the plug on the Mac mini before you get your tax refund back. In fact, it's the number one selling desktop on Amazon.

I don't see any HD rentals available either Grover Time.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to go offT, usage caps (low) are starting here too. I wonder what kind of impact this will have. I know people who are already moving from broadband to dial-up to save money. having to monitor GBs now takes some of the convenience out of it.

back on Topic -great, they updated iTunes for HD downloads....
Zalez

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm interested at this time, but I don't see a single movie available for rental in HD. Confused
pjarvi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous version was crashing on me after several days of being open continuously (I have an AppleTV). I have also been losing the connection between my AppleTV and iTunes. Never had this problem with earlier versions, so hopefully 8.1.1 fixes these issues for me.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjarvi wrote:
The previous version was crashing on me after several days of being open continuously (I have an AppleTV). I have also been losing the connection between my AppleTV and iTunes. Never had this problem with earlier versions, so hopefully 8.1.1 fixes these issues for me.

I used to have that problem all the time, but it's been doing okay with the last few version of iTunes. I even thought it was like a DHCP lease issue with my router for a while.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the HD rentals, but it looks like they started with the variable pricing. I guess that means that Amazon will be getting a little more of my business. Sad
iLife's a Bitch!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, well, I've seen and rented HD movies from the site for a few weeks now. Not hard to find...ATV sees'em all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: