123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost My Ibook!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyMac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Lost My Ibook!! Reply with quote

Hey,

I lost my ibook at school. I think someone stole it. Is there anything apple can do? Like track down the person whos using it? I had a bunch of important data i would want back more then the laptop.
ozwald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there's anything Apple can do... Your best bet would be to let the school authorities know.

There are independent companies that provide subscription-based tracking services where the laptop "phones home" when reported stolen...you may want to think about that when you either get this one back or get a new one. Wink
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every computer has a uniqueMac Address that can be tracked. You would need to know exactly what this address is and know what networks it was accessing. Such as a schools network or a local internet cafe'! But unless you know the Mac address the chances of finding your ibook are very slim! Sorry to say it may be time to look forward to getting a new computer! Sad
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AndyMac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
Every computer has a uniqueMac Address that can be tracked. You would need to know exactly what this address is and know what networks it was accessing. Such as a schools network or a local internet cafe'! But unless you know the Mac address the chances of finding your ibook are very slim! Sorry to say it may be time to look forward to getting a new computer! Sad

I did think about that but most people use routers and ISP's will only see the routers mac address. I was hoping apple had some app that would call home if the person went online with it.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyMac wrote:
LouieMacGoo wrote:

I did think about that but most people use routers and ISP's will only see the routers mac address. I was hoping apple had some app that would call home if the person went online with it.

I have seen that before but it requires software to be installed on the laptop itself! See this article.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to check with Apple and see but if they did have something like that you would think that they would advertise the piss out of it!!! And I don't remember ever hearing that as a feature of Mac OS X!!!!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozwald wrote:
I doubt there's anything Apple can do...

They can sell him a new one! Very Happy
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost My Ibook!! Reply with quote

AndyMac wrote:
I lost my ibook at school. I think someone stole it. Is there anything apple can do? Like track down the person whos using it? I had a bunch of important data i would want back more then the laptop.

Just out of curiousity...why is it you merely THINK it was stolen? Is there some doubt as to what happened to it? Did you report the theft to the proper authorities?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AndyMac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lost My Ibook!! Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
AndyMac wrote:

Just out of curiousity...why is it you merely THINK it was stolen? Is there some doubt as to what happened to it? Did you report the theft to the proper authorities?

I was moving out of my dorm room and i dont know if the box was miss placed or if someone stole it in the process. Its not the only thing missing. I did let the school know, and the police was no help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: