123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV Not Responding. Open Port 3689.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Apple TV Not Responding. Open Port 3689. Reply with quote

Whenever I try to Synch I get the following Message: "Apple TV is not responding. Check that any firewall software running on this computer has been set to allow communication on port 3689" I verified disk. Rebooted both ATV & Mac. I can synch with my Music & Videos but not YouTube or Apple Store. So nothing Online is Available to me. Thanks in advance.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did A factory Restore. Opened Port 3689 on my router and updated router firmware. It's working for now !

Come on ! Are you guys getting sick of my problems & not replying back.
I know I'm getting sick of them. Sad
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grover Time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda surprised you were able to connect or share with iTunes.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover Time,

Why are you surprised ? I'm doing the ATV updates now to see if it will still work with Updates. If not, I'll do another Factory Restore & live with the old version of the ATV.

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, so Good. Did the Updates & it seems to be Synching with the latest iTunes. Oh yea, I just got the new IDE cable available on eBay for $29.95. My old one was broken. Got the Flashing Question Mard until I moved the IDE cable just the right way. It seems to be working in all ways at the moment. Hopefully that will last. Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dino I haven't been on for a few days, not sure how that happened Confused

Are you still having issues?
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Did A factory Restore. Opened Port 3689 on my router and updated router firmware. It's working for now ! "

Yes it's still working fine. It's been 3 days & I'm loving my new Apple TV.

Once again, thanks to you Usarcher.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Equality72521

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Another solution Reply with quote

My solution is below - some preamble first for those despairing as I was!

I had exactly the same issue - purchased ATV yesterday to add to my iMac with Time Capsule WiFi network setup. ATV connected perfectly to the Web but I could not get it to sync with my iMac's iTunes library. I wanted to stream rather than sync but couldn't do either. Tried all previous suggestions - PRAM resets, Firewall to "Allow all incoming connections", router changes - all to no avail.

Console utility was reporting in its logs that my iMac was denying the ATV access.

I'm lucky enough to be friends and neighbours with an excellent network admin who deals with Macs as well as PCs but we still couldn't figure it (I'm an SQL DBA so know a little about networks too). He also has ATV and streams with no problem and had no installation or configuration issues.

We wirelessly connected my ATV to his iTunes library and it worked first time, streaming like a dream. This ruled out ATV as the issue and put my iMac completely in the frame; we still couldn't coax mine into accepting comms from ATV.

Finally tried the NoobProof freeware utility. I used it to specifically set port 3689 to "Allow" i.e. wipe out any existing settings and set the damn thing to "Allow". Bingo. Everything now works.

It could be something I've done over the past 18 months since I switched to block that port so I cannot point blame at the iMac or ATV.

Now it's working I have to say I think ATV is just superb, another quality product from Apple (I didn't think that way about 24 hours ago though!).

Take-away: if you're still getting the 3689 error then please try the NoobProof util (or something similar like WaterRoof) to at least rule out a genuine firewall rule is blocking the communication.

I hope this helps someone - when I was tearing my hair out I found plenty of reports of this problem but not too many suggestions. Please write how you get on and any success you have with this really frustrating problem. Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: