123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New I'm a PC ad hits hard at Apple
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superstein61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a great ad.

I probably will get crucified for this here - but most of the comments here seem typical of Apple Fanboys - just like MS Fanboys make similiar comments about Apple

First off, Apple has been poking fun at MS for years - just look at the recent series of I'm a Mac, I'm a PC ads. MS has now struck back with a great series (I have seen several including this one, some kids manipulating and senidng photos, etc)

Second, In terms of hardware, I know you may not want to hear this but you do get a bigger bang for your buck with a PC compared to a Mac

Third, the whole comments about spending lots of time dealing with viruses, AV software, etc is a bunch of crap. On my 2 home PCs, I use a couple freeware products - one as a firewall, one as AV software. Have had no issues for as long as I can remember. Its not rocket sciene nor does it cost $ to protect oneself

Now - before you get your guns out to shoot me - I have both a PC and a Mac Mini I use - and my daughter has a PC. All are networked together on my home network. Each has it's pros and cons, Some apps are better on the Mac, some are better on the PC. I like the Mac for multimedia work. I typically use my PC when doing work with MS Word, Excel and typical web browsing.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where is gets really sad. She probably went home and Hackintoshed it. Smile
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but Lauren is kind of a hottie. Laughing

I think everyone would like to see lower Mac prices. I'm also sure there are people out there that would like to own a Mac, but can't afford one. I'm talking on the laptop side of things. I don't know how anyone could use that as an excuse with the Mac mini around. $599 gets you in the door with a really nice system. Heck, I wouldn't mind having one of the new models. Can Microsoft spot me a grand?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to speak about pricing, but rather the commercial itself. Why would you show someone going to an Apple Store first? It makes it look like Apple was her first choice. Then you say that you're not cool enough for Macs. Yeah, that's what young people want to hear. I'm sure kids today don't want to feel cool or be part of the in-crowd. Rolling Eyes

It's kind of a strange message, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by devo on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
lynx2cross

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'm not going to speak about pricing, but rather the commercial itself. Why would you show someone going to an Apple Store first? It makes it look like Apple was her first choice. Then you say that you're not cool enough for Macs. Yeah, that's what young people want hear. I'm sure kids today don't want to feel cool or be part of the in-crowd. Rolling Eyes

It's kind of a strange message, woudn't you agree?

Exactly my thoughts, if microsoft is going to put these type of ad's out that actually make apple look better than them I'm all for it. Everyone is entitled to use what they like and feel most comfortable with. I think it's all in good fun, and it's been said here before. Apple is happy to be gaining more apple users but were quite content with what they had already and isn't going to change it's marketing strategy just to gain more users. The fact that apple is different is what sets it apart from windows and frankly the reason why many of us switched .
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynx2cross wrote:
Exactly my thoughts, if microsoft is going to put these type of ad's out that actually make apple look better than them I'm all for it.

I definitely think it makes them look better to young people.

In a way, Apple and Microsoft are fighting over the next generation of computer users. And that's where this commercial fails in my eyes. Playing the price card isn't going to work with young people. It may with people our age, but that doesn't seem to be the target audience. Maybe I'm wrong though. These are tough times.
Wedge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a firm believer that advertising on price alone devalues the entire brand. Microsoft, Dell, HP and others want to fight their way to the bottom. I think this is why even high end Dells or HPs always feel chintzy to me.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge wrote:
I'm also a firm believer that advertising on price alone devalues the entire brand.

I totally agree. I think they should just go back to those "I'm a PC" commercials with the little kids. Those were actually cute and effective. They also show the product in action and make it look easy to work with. I know they played well with my wife.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the ad was OK, but gave mixed messages not entirely in MS' favour. On the one hand, you had a cute, cool young lady going through her shopping machinations and ending up happily buying a PC. On the other hand, her initial preference was clearly for Apple, and she rejected it solely on price. If that logic worked all the time, the iPod wouldn't be the dominant music player on the streets. Also, in this case, the person's dress and vehicle clearly indicate that she's not hurting for money. So why is she shopping for "cheap"?

The other interesting thing that no one else commented on was that this was good advertising for HP, because that's the PC brand she bought. I wonder if HP had to partly pay for that ad? I doubt that MS chose the winner randomly.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Also, in this case, the person's dress and vehicle clearly indicate that she's not hurting for money. So why is she shopping for "cheap"?

Spot on, Fox. Sell the Beetle and buy a decent damn computer.

Guys, your responses were very interesting. But here's the one that made me pee myself with laughter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHn7qHGyFA (17 seconds)
lynx2cross

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:

The other interesting thing that no one else commented on was that this was good advertising for HP, because that's the PC brand she bought. I wonder if HP had to partly pay for that ad? I doubt that MS chose the winner randomly.

I think your dead on about this ad being really about Hp and not so much about Microsoft. What if Hp and Apple struck a deal one day and you could purchase a Hp laptop with OS X installed for under $1000, what commercial would MS come up with then.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'm not going to speak about pricing, but rather the commercial itself. Why would you show someone going to an Apple Store first? It makes it look like Apple was her first choice. Then you say that you're not cool enough for Macs. Yeah, that's what young people want to hear. I'm sure kids today don't want to feel cool or be part of the in-crowd. Rolling Eyes

It's kind of a strange message, wouldn't you agree?

Lauren is being sarcastic when she says "I guess I'm not cool enough to be a PC person."

The cool comment is also a poke at Apple. It's basically saying that Apple is overcharging to portray an image (kind of like Gucci).

This ad wouldn't have worked well if the character was fat, ugly, poor looking etc. Lauren's character gives you the sense that she is upwardly successful but for now she needs to watch her $. Notice that she says she has a "budget". Meaning she could probably spend more but she needs to be sensible. Some of the items can be picked apart like the VW convertible (perhaps a graduation gift), the fancy purse and cloths.. These types of things were necessary to make the character "cool" looking. Imagine the same ad with a fat unattractive woman wearing sweats and driving a clunker. The ad would have failed.
lynx2cross

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Jobs has already responded to this type of question when it comes to price, And I love his answer, watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu0qeb_rJYU&NR=1
Albert76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynx2cross wrote:
Steve Jobs has already responded to this type of question when it comes to price, And I love his answer, watch:

I love Steve Jobs, Apple products and his answer, but I still don't buy it. Laughing
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynx2cross wrote:

I like the answer as well.

Basically Apple is content focusing on a niche segment of the market. That's fine by me. I'd rather have Apple stay focused on quality products that mate nicely with a quality OS.

M$ doesn't care what people purchase as long as it ships with Windows. They get the same amount of Windows royalty money from a $500 PC as they do from a $5000 PC (assuming it has the same version of Windows).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: