123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Introduces New iMac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Apple Introduces New iMac Reply with quote

Apple Introduces New iMac
Wednesday October 12, 2005 2:30 PM EST

Apple today unveiled the new iMac G5 which features a built-in iSight video camera for out-of-the-box video conferencing and the debut of Apple's breakthrough Front Row media experience. Front Row gives users a simple, intuitive and powerful way to play their music, enjoy their photo slideshows, and watch their DVDs and iMovies, as well as popular movie trailers from apple.com and music videos and television shows purchased from the iTunes Music Store, on their iMac from up to 30 feet away using the new bundled Apple Remote. The new iMac G5 comes in a sleek, new design that is even thinner than its predecessor, and starts at just $1,299.

"The new iMac G5 debuts our amazing Front Row media experience, and we think users are going to love it," said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. "Plus, the built-in iSight video camera delivers out-of-the-box video conferencing with friends and family, as well as hours of fun with our new Photo Booth application."

Apple's breakthrough Front Row media experience uses the bundled Apple Remote to let users enjoy the content they have on their iMac—including songs from their iTunes music library, slideshows of their photo albums in iPhoto, videos including Podcasts, iMovies and DVDs, and popular movie trailers streamed from apple.com—all from up to 30 feet away. And with iTunes 6, users can now purchase and download music videos, Pixar short films and hit TV shows such as "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" from the iTunes Music Store and watch them on their iMac using Front Row. Front Row is easily controlled using the Apple Remote, which has only six buttons, compared to remote controls for Microsoft's Media Center which typically have over 40 buttons.

With its built-in iSight video camera, the new iMac G5 provides video conferencing right out of the box using Apple’s award-winning iChat AV software. The new iMac G5 also includes Photo Booth, Apple’s fun-to-use new application that lets users take quick snapshots with the built-in iSight video camera, add entertaining visual effects with the touch of a button, and share them via Mail, save them in iPhoto, or use them as icons in iChat or Address Book.

The refined design of the new iMac G5 is now up to 1/2-inch thinner and 15 percent lighter than the previous generation. Delivering even greater value, the new iMac G5 line includes a 17-inch model with a 1.9GHz PowerPC G5 processor for just $1,299 and a 20-inch model with a 2.1 GHz PowerPC G5 processor for just $1,699. Both models now come standard with a SuperDrive with double-layer support for burning professional-quality DVDs, 533 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory expandable to 2.5GB, hard drive storage capacity up to 500GB, and ATI Radeon X600 PCI Express-based graphics with 128MB of dedicated video memory for outstanding graphics performance and realistic game play. System memory is easily upgraded via a convenient access door along the bottom edge.

Offering the latest high-performance I/O, the new iMac G5s include built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking, built-in AirPort Extreme for fast 54 Mbps wireless networking, built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, a total of five USB ports (three USB 2.0) and two FireWire 400 ports. The new iMac G5 includes Apple’s Mighty Mouse, featuring up to four programmable buttons and an ingenious Scroll Ball that lets users scroll in any direction—vertically, horizontally and even diagonally.

Every new iMac G5 also includes iLife '05, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications; Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger," the world’s most advanced operating system; and a collection of productivity and entertainment titles including AppleWorks, Quicken 2006 for Mac, 2006 World Book, Photo Booth, Nanosaur 2 and Marble Blast Gold.

The new 17-inch 1.9 GHz iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), includes:
17-inch widescreen LCD display;
1.9 GHz PowerPC G5 processor;
512MB of 533 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 2.5GB;
8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW);
ATI Radeon X600 Pro with 128MB DDR memory;
built-in iSight video camera;
built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;
160GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
built-in stereo speakers and microphone; and
ships with infrared Apple Remote, Mighty Mouse and Apple Keyboard.

The new 20-inch 2.1 GHz iMac G5, for a suggested retail price of $1,699 (US), includes:
20-inch widescreen LCD display;
2.1 GHz PowerPC G5 processor;
512MB of 533 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 2.5GB;
8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW);
ATI Radeon X600 XT with 128MB DDR memory;
built-in iSight video camera;
built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;
250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;
built-in stereo speakers and microphone; and
ships with infrared Apple Remote, Mighty Mouse and Apple Keyboard.

Last edited by admin on Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just might buy an iMac if Apple doesn't announce the new Mac mini.
mkral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else here think the frontrow, with the new remote would be a perfect companion to the mini? I'm hoping they release it seperately in the near future, for a decent price. I'd much rather view my songs/pics/videos & Dvd's on my mini hooked up to a big screen TV than I would on a 17" imac.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkral wrote:
Does anyone else here think the frontrow, with the new remote would be a perfect companion to the mini? I'm hoping they release it seperately in the near future, for a decent price. I'd much rather view my songs/pics/videos & Dvd's on my mini hooked up to a big screen TV than I would on a 17" imac.

Totally! I would absolutely love to have Front Row on my mini. I would rather watch a movie on my new 27" Viewsonic LCD than a 17" iMac any old day.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkral wrote:

First off, the new iMac is totally sweet. But, do you really need a remote with a 17" screen? The Mac mini is a much better platform for Front Row. Just look at all the Mac minis hooked up to large Plasma and LCD TVs in the gallery. I just hope that Front Row doesn't require Core Image. Mad
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
manatarms

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Front Row Reply with quote

So its pretty obvious that front row should come with our mini's infact it would be exactly what I have been looking for. So anyone got any more info on frontrow and that remote? will it work on my mini? what connection does it use, RF?
CVC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remote is IR. What´s interesting is that the iMac recieves the signal from the remote through the iSight camera.

Apple sells the remote for $29 on their website, but it only works with the new universal iPod dock, $39, or the new iMac (which already comes with one). It doesn´t come with the Front Row software and the website states that it´s ¨Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in Infrared (IR) receiver.¨ So I guess that leaves out the mini.
MJRBIM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: smaller iSight on the way....? Reply with quote

If they built the iSight camera into the new iMac, what are the chances of them releasing a new smaller stand-alone iSight camera for other Mac users.

I'd love to add an iSight to my Mac Mini, but it's just too freakin' big....
kermitdeblogger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: smaller iSight on the way....? Reply with quote

MJRBIM wrote:
If they built the iSight camera into the new iMac, what are the chances of them releasing a new smaller stand-alone iSight camera for other Mac users.

I'd love to add an iSight to my Mac Mini, but it's just too freakin' big....

Where would they put it on the Mac mini? The lens would be to low. The iMac is at eye level. I don't think Apple will give the Mac mini iSight anytime soon. Laughing I'm sure they will be adding one on the new PowerBook when it comes out.
Schrambal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed chance by apple I'm afraid.

Front row in combination with a decent remote that works via Bluetooth, and not via a dinosaur of wireless communication as Infra red, would have made the perfect companion for the mini.

Why Apple made the decision to exclude other apple hardware besides the new Imac is incomprehensible as far as I'm concernded.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schrambal wrote:
Missed chance by apple I'm afraid.

Front row in combination with a decent remote that works via Bluetooth, and not via a dinosaur of wireless communication as Infra red, would have made the perfect companion for the mini.

Why Apple made the decision to exclude other apple hardware besides the new Imac is incomprehensible as far as I'm concernded.

I just hope Apple comes to their senses and bundles Front Row with iLife 06 or something! New iMac owners can do the debugging for the rest of us. Laughing
Quantum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I like progress and innovation but cannot keep up with Apple frequent upgrades making your newly bought hardware obsolete within 10 weeks or so.

I was fustrated when I saw the new Imac with the remote control.
It seems that there is a solution check the following links:

http://www.filewell.com/iRed/

http://www.irtrans.de/en/index.php

Your comments please!
Thanks
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they get it to work! How much does the IRTrans cost?
iLife's a Bitch!
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
Hello,

I like progress and innovation but cannot keep up with Apple frequent upgrades making your newly bought hardware obsolete within 10 weeks or so.

I was fustrated when I saw the new Imac with the remote control.
It seems that there is a solution check the following links:

http://www.filewell.com/iRed/

http://www.irtrans.de/en/index.php

Your comments please!
Thanks

Did you buy an iMac before the update? I disagree with your comments about Apple upgrading products too often. Apple usually moves at a snails pace. The past few weeks have been fun though with all the new systems and iPods, I bet we go through a long stretch without new goodies now. It almost like they shot their entire load before Intel.

As for the remotes and Front Row. Apple will probably offer Front Row on other systems in ten weeks. They need something for Macworld in January! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: