123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple adds HD movie purchases and rentals to iTunes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LE Studios

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I prefer to buy the Blu-ray with Digital Copy. ...maybe if the HD movie cost $10-$15 i would buy it over the Blu-ray, if it were DRM free, than I'd be willing to pay $20. ...$5 for a rental isn't bad though, Blockbuster comes to about $6 w/taxes.

The thing I don't like about digital movies is that you don't have subtitles or different languages, there's also the movies with alternate endings, on iTUnes it be only one ending (of their choosing).

Yeah but some people don't really care about the extras and want to watch a movie and that's it. I will see a lot of Mac users especially those with MacBooks, MacBook Pros playing the HD Movies. The fact you can download and watch these movies whenever got me sold. I already been stop buying DVDs and I supported Blu-Ray for year got 69 movies but sold them all in November I don't see Blu-Ray's future and if George Lucas is not putting Star Wars on it then no I'm done with that format. I already dodge the HD-DVD bullet.
hafamaca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it even worth renting? Seems like Netflix/Blockbuster mail would be a better deal...
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrt1 wrote:
I still buy CDs and rip them for the most part. Nuff said. Smile

It be nice if you we could buy Blu-ray's or DVD's and somehow burn them into iTunes. ....but Apple software and hardware can't handle it. There's always Handbrake (for DVD's), but I'm not sure of the legal part of that.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:
I prefer to buy the Blu-ray with Digital Copy. ...maybe if the HD movie cost $10-$15 i would buy it over the Blu-ray, if it were DRM free, than I'd be willing to pay $20. ...$5 for a rental isn't bad though, Blockbuster comes to about $6 w/taxes.

The thing I don't like about digital movies is that you don't have subtitles or different languages, there's also the movies with alternate endings, on iTUnes it be only one ending (of their choosing).

Yeah but some people don't really care about the extras and want to watch a movie and that's it. I will see a lot of Mac users especially those with MacBooks, MacBook Pros playing the HD Movies. The fact you can download and watch these movies whenever got me sold. I already been stop buying DVDs and I supported Blu-Ray for year got 69 movies but sold them all in November I don't see Blu-Ray's future and if George Lucas is not putting Star Wars on it then no I'm done with that format. I already dodge the HD-DVD bullet.

I stopped buying DVD's, and have slowed down with Blu-ray's too.

I loved Blu-ray (still do), but I'm only keeping the ones I think I really should, and selling all the others on Ebay. I had about 105 of them. ...and that's why I love the Blu-rays that come with digital downloads, cause I can watch the movie with all the extra's in the best possible format, and later just keep the digital copy, and list the movie on Ebay.

I guess one of my major reasons for doing so, is that I'm always on the go, and I tend to watch movies on my iPhone while I workout, or while away from home with a MacBook AIr or Vaio P (both of which lack disk drives, although the P has HORRIBLE video quality).
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It be nice if you we could buy Blu-ray's or DVD's and somehow burn them into iTunes. ....but Apple software and hardware can't handle it. There's always Handbrake (for DVD's), but I'm not sure of the legal part of that."

"I can watch the movie with all the extra's in the best possible format, and later just keep the digital copy, and list the movie on Ebay."

ESUNintel, I had to laugh at your last 2 posts. You question the legality of Ripping DVDs for your own personal use, but you admit to keeping digital copies of movies after selling the original on eBay. Smile
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
"It be nice if you we could buy Blu-ray's or DVD's and somehow burn them into iTunes. ....but Apple software and hardware can't handle it. There's always Handbrake (for DVD's), but I'm not sure of the legal part of that."

"I can watch the movie with all the extra's in the best possible format, and later just keep the digital copy, and list the movie on Ebay."

ESUNintel, I had to laugh at your last 2 posts. You question the legality of Ripping DVDs for your own personal use, but you admit to keeping digital copies of movies after selling the original on eBay. Smile

...wouldn't it be legal to keep the digital version that comes with blu-rays? It has it's own download key for iTunes. Blu-rays with the digital copy also cost $2-$10 more than just a blu-ray.

I'm not sure, it just seems different than Handbrake or some other tool to copy from a disc.

Last edited by ESUNintel on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

...wouldn't it be legal to keep the digital version that comes with blu-rays? It has it's own download key for iTunes. Blu-rays with the digital copy also cost $2-$10 more than just a bBu-ray.

I'm not sure, it just seems different than Handbrake or some other tool to copy from a disc.

I would highly doubt that the licensing allows you to keep the digital copy or DVD, if you sell the Blu-ray disk. Perhaps you can read the agreement for us.

One thing that does become interesting is how iTunes would allow the new owner of the Blu-ray disk to download their digital copy. Likely iTunes would say "wait a minute" someone else already has a digital copy.
Taos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question alert.

Is the HD content at 1080p 24fps? I can't seem to find what Apple define as HD, which seems to mean anything from 720p and above to Full HD.
- Pioneer VSX-LX50
- Bose AM 10 Series IV, Bose AM5, Bose 101, Bose 151
- G4 Al PB 12", G4 Al PB 17" and MBP 13"
- Airport Express x 2, Airport Extreme
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
There's always Handbrake (for DVD's), but I'm not sure of the legal part of that.

I think you should be able to rip or backup anything you own That includes movies and TV shows from iTunes to a playable DVD format.

Taos wrote:
Is the HD content at 1080p 24fps? I can't seem to find what Apple define as HD, which seems to mean anything from 720p and above to Full HD.

I'm pretty sure it's all compressed video at 720p. Do you want to know one of the reasons why? The Apple TV can't even play 1080p video. Which is totally silly by the way.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all comes down to the selling price. People wouldn't be bitching as much if they sold for between $10-$13 dollars. And to be honest, that's about the price they should be selling for. I also think Apple should update the Apple TV or add the option for external storage. A 40GB hard drive isn't going hold many of these, especially if you want music and TV shows on there as well.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
I think it all comes down to the selling price. People wouldn't be bitching as much if they sold for between $10-$13 dollars. And to be honest, that's about the price they should be selling for. I also think Apple should update the Apple TV or add the option for external storage. A 40GB hard drive isn't going hold many of these, especially if you want music and TV shows on there as well.

I agree, I'm almost out of space. I would upgrade the HDD, but it's not even SATA, which means no 500GB HDD, and the upgrade process for AppleTV doesn't seem like fun. I don't want to use the new Mac Mini as a media center either, I love it a desktop, I did order some parts to build an ITX sized media center today. I figured with the ITX, running Vista (yuck), I can play most formats (mp4, avi, wmp, etc...), as well as read and write Blu-ray's and store up to 2TB of data.

...so sadly, I am selling my Blu-ray player and AppleTV, at least now I'll be able to download HD content without using an AppleTV.

I really wish Apple made some sort of computer, or some sort of solution for a media center, like a highly advanced MacMini that ships with a 500GB HDD, HDMI output, optical audio output, Blu-ray support, etc... (something like the Hanger series Alienware used to sell, but a bit more affordable.
Huff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I really wish Apple made some sort of computer, or some sort of solution for a media center, like a highly advanced MacMini that ships with a 500GB HDD, HDMI output, optical audio output, Blu-ray support, etc... (something like the Hanger series Alienware used to sell, but a bit more affordable.

We're halfway there. I have optical out and a 500GB hard drove in my new Mac mini. Smile

I don't think Apple will ever go with HDMI or Blu-ray in their systems. It's a shame, but what are you going to do? They are all about proprietary video formats and selling downloads these days. I guess time will tell, but that plan doesn't seem to be hurting them for now. Maybe what we need is for Apple to cool off. This may force them to listen to their customers for once.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:

I downloaded the first episode of DEA season two, and it's 1.24GB for less than 45 minutes. It seems to download both the HD and SD versions though, cause iTunes downloaded the SD version a day later without asking, and now it says HD-SD next to the show, so not sure if that means it down converts for older computers or for iPhones.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LE Studios wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

Now since I got the 24" Cinema Display I seen 720p Movies and TV Shows. My wish is Hollywood would make available ALL their Movies in 720p I wouldn't care about Blu-Ray ever! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: