123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Row for Mac mini now!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k3lso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now... Would you buy the new imac?... let´s say... the 20" imac to use it as a Entertainment Media Center in your living room????
14" 600Mhz G3 iBook 256Mb Ram
20 Gb iPod
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about Front Row, I'm waiting for Back Row. I hate sitting up front at the movie theater anyways. Using a remote control with a 17' iMac is the equivalent of using a remote control with your car stereo. It's cool but not very functional.
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
To be honest... I'm not really 100% sure how the remote works with the iMac. Where is the IR receiver for the remote on the iMac? Apple would have to offer some kind of universal IR receiver for all the other Macs or start integrating the IR receivers. I'm really surprised Apple didn't make the remote BT.

I may be completely wrong, but the iSight cam, or something else that is that is built into the iMac bezel may be what decodes the IR signal from the remote.

Apple could get smart and release a BT version of the remote for everyone else without an iSight or without IR capabilities.
30GB 5th Gen iPod | 512MB Shuffle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:

I may be completely wrong, but the iSight cam, or something else that is that is built into the iMac bezel may be what decodes the IR signal from the remote.

I thought there might be something up around the iSight.

Bad news guys...
Quote:
Front Row will only be available as part of the iMac, Apple says. The company has no plans to make it available in other Macs or as a standalone application.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/10/12/ipodvideoanalysis/index.php

I still think they will eventually add it to other products.
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I still think they will eventually add it to other products.

As do I, eventually, all of us whining about it will get Apple's attention, plus, why the heck would they not want to make a few extra $'s? Existing mac users are not going to purchase an iMac, and I'm fairly sure it's not an extremely strong selling point for the iMac either, the iMac just isn't the ideal HTPC. Front row is certainly program that ALL mac users are interested in; keeping it exclusive certainly won't last long.

I still point out the fact that the remote is available for purchase, with a 2-3 week delay from now untill shipping. Why would Apple need to sell the remote if it COMES WITH the only mac system that supports Front Row at the moment? Yeah they could just put it up there for the untold numbers of people who will lose that little thing, but I think it's a good indicator of when Apple may release Front Row for the rest of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e3mw wrote:

I still point out the fact that the remote is available for purchase, with a 2-3 week delay from now untill shipping. Why would Apple need to sell the remote if it COMES WITH the only mac system that supports Front Row at the moment? Yeah they could just put it up there for the untold numbers of people who will lose that little thing, but I think it's a good indicator of when Apple may release Front Row for the rest of us.

The remote is for the new iPod dock.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/accessories.html
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then doesn't that seem like a swell way to get existing macs to interface with IR? That dock might just double as a IR interface for the Mac. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. Wink
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see them make something the same size and color as that Belkin USB hub for the IR receiver. I wouldn't mind if they added a USB port or two on the front. That would be cool! Cool
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I would like to see them make something the same size and color as that Belkin USB hub for the IR receiver. I wouldn't mind if they added a USB port or two on the front. That would be cool! Cool

I second that. I truly believe that Frontrow will be available on the Mac mini within the next 3 months or so. It would be crazy for Apple to not capitalize on this and make additional $$...

One question, will the Mini's lack of support for Core Image impact its ability to fully utilize Frontrow??
aristobrat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmen65 wrote:
Using a remote control with a 17' iMac is the equivalent of using a remote control with your car stereo. It's cool but not very functional.

Definately not for every situation, I can see a few where it would be very functional, like a college dorm room (or any room) where the iMac is also the stereo/DVD player. You can be crashed out on your bed watching a DVD or just sitting around with friends listening to music, and not have to get up to pause/change the song/etc.. Question
e3mw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
...like a college dorm room (or any room) where the iMac is also the stereo/DVD player. You can be crashed out on your bed watching a DVD or just sitting around with friends listening to music, and not have to get up to pause/change the song/etc.. Question

I'm in a college dorm right now, wishing my Mini would perform the same tasks with the help of Front row and that awesome remote. Wink

*Patience Grasshopper, Patience*
ba747heavy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
The remote is for the new iPod dock.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/accessories.html

I love being right Very Happy

FC
idave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that Apple says the remote is "Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in Infrared (IR) receiver." I don't think Front Row is going to stay "iMac only" for long.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
spoonman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
It's interesting that Apple says the remote is "Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in Infrared (IR) receiver." I don't think Front Row is going to stay "iMac only" for long.

Hmmmm.... maybe the "new" mini's with the 1.5GHz and such is just a "filler" until an offical release with Core Image support, IR, and Front Row!!

Laughing
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
HME

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get off topic, but Core Image a plausible thing to hope for? Would adding Core Image cost Apple that much more?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: