123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV with Flashing ? after HD Upgrade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guido79

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Apple TV with Flashing ? after HD Upgrade? Reply with quote

Just upgraded my Apple TV from the standard 40 GB HD to a 160 GB HD. Everything backed up and restored fine from my 40 GB and did the factory restore to recognize the full size of my 160 GB HD. I'm upgraded to ATV 2.0 software fine. ATV boots fine with the bottom off of the unit, just the HD attached. When I try to mount the drive back on the bottom metal plate and boot the unit, I get the flashing ? issue. I've tried restoring several times and still can get the unit back together without the flashing ?. I'm starting to think it's some weird grounding issue with the drive & mounting screws & bottom plate.

Anyone else ever seen this issue? If so, any recommendations on resolving this one?

BTW, I've done my upgrade without iPartition. I'm using diskutil, GPT and DD in terminal to get the job done. I'm fairly certain, I haven't muffed anything here as the unit works fine until I try to put it back together.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an ATV but, it sounds like your pinching the HD connecting cable or something, with the ATV on, have you tried to replace the bottom of it? It's risky but, you may be able to pin point the issue that way.

Just a thought, good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, you need to check the IDE cable and make sure that it's properly seated. I would also check all of the pins on the hard drive and the connector down on the motherboard. You also need to fold the cable neatly like it was. You could have it pinched or be pulling it off the connector when you put the two halves together. The cable could also just be damaged. By the way, did you put the green rubber pad and little square shielding pad from the original drive on the new drive? If not, you probably should.
guido79

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple TV with Flashing ? after HD Upgrade? Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

The issue was the ribbon cable for the HD. The connector came loose from the cable and needed to be crimped tight again. Embarassed

I'm back up and running.

Cheers!
bdlum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Apple TV flashing ? Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
First off, you need to check the IDE cable and make sure that it's properly seated. I would also check all of the pins on the hard drive and the connector down on the motherboard. You also need to fold the cable neatly like it was. You could have it pinched or be pulling it off the connector when you put the two halves together.

I was ready to head to my dealer and do the "What? Open the case? Why would I have done that? No it just started flashing, seriously. Stop staring at me... say something... please."

Now I don't have to!

Many thanks.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple TV flashing ? Reply with quote

bdlum wrote:
I was ready to head to my dealer and do the "What? Open the case? Why would I have done that? No it just started flashing, seriously. Stop staring at me... say something... please."

I'm glad you were able to save a trip. Smile
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I'm considering buying an Apple TV, I have a question.

If I purchase the 40gig unit, then decide to upgrade my mac mini, will this 120gig OEM mac mini hard drive work in the Apple TV?

I see no reason to pay for the 160gig when I'll have a spare 120gig in a few months when I upgrade the mini.

Thanks in advance!

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imola.zhp wrote:
Sorry to bump an old thread.

I'm considering buying an Apple TV, I have a question.

If I purchase the 40gig unit, then decide to upgrade my mac mini, will this 120gig OEM mac mini hard drive work in the Apple TV?

I see no reason to pay for the 160gig when I'll have a spare 120gig in a few months when I upgrade the mini.

Thanks in advance!

No. The Apple TV uses an ATA/IDE drive. Intel Mac minis are SATA.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ thank you!

/OT

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cable seems to be a weak link for sure. There are many people getting the Flashing Question Mark, thinking it's the ATV Hard Drive, when in fact the Cable is the Problem.

When you open the ATV up, they make the cable long enough to work with, but because it is a bit too long, it gets Folded & Creased. That plastic Crimp plus the Heat Inside, can cause it to become Weak. At least that's the way it looked in my ATV. And I know my Cable is bad.

And from what I read, you cannot just replace it with a Standard IDE 44 Pin Female to Female Cable.
Also they are not available anywhere except on eBay for like $30. And these are ones pulled out of old Apple TVs.

If anyone knows different, Please let me know.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guido79,

I also thought it was a grounding issue, but even when the hard drive is out of the case, if you have a bad cable & wiggle it, your Apple TV will Freeze. That's how I found out it the Cable was bad & it was not a grounding issue. Mine did the same as yours. Once I put it back in the Case & closed the box, I got the Flashing Question mark again.

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out! I Jimmy Rigged the IDE Cable inside my ATV & the Box is closed & working fine so far. What I did was I took Thick Black Gaffers Tape. (the type they use on Movie Sets & Stages), and wrapped it neatly around the ATV & then pressing down & ironing out the creases with my fingers. Lastly I screwed the Hard Drive to the casing & then closed the box up. Well it's running. I don't know for how long but it's running & it looks better. Smile My IDE cable probably had one intermittent spot where it was not making contact, so I think I got lucky. Again, how lucky & for how long, I don't know. Worse come to worse there is a place on eBay selling the authentic ATV IDE cable for $29.95 Just thought I'd let you know.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: