123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases New iPod shuffle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases New iPod shuffle Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Half the size? The previous model was tiny. If Apple want to build the controls into the earphones, and the Shuffle is about the same size as the earphones... then why not just build the Shuffle into the earphones?? A Shuffle that you can plug into your ear!

They should also add shake to shuffle into the earphones. Oh, wait a second. That might not work out well for headbangers. Smile
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases New iPod shuffle Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I've still got my 1st gen Shuffle, and like hafamaca, I take it to the gym with me. And like Yvan, I like the built-in USB connector, so I'm not changing anytime soon. Smile

In my opinion the 1st shuffle was the best design.
If Apple would have stuck with the USB stick type design and then later integrated a small LCD, I think that would be a real winner.

I really don't understand why Apple keeps head down the road of proprietary designs. Foolish I say.
somefreak90

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably go right now and buy it but it doesn't have any built on buttons, which is a problem for me because I'm the kind who's prone to breaking earbuds by mistake, and and these earbuds have the controls on them...
You can still buy the previous generation shuffle at the online apple store for $49.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases New iPod shuffle Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:
Half the size? The previous model was tiny. If Apple want to build the controls into the earphones, and the Shuffle is about the same size as the earphones... then why not just build the Shuffle into the earphones?? A Shuffle that you can plug into your ear!

They should also add shake to shuffle into the earphones. Oh, wait a second. That might not work out well for headbangers. Smile

Actually, that should be in the Shuffle itself sans buttons. Have shake-to-shuffle or shake to go the next track. That actually would have been cool. Having everything in the cable is sort of odd.
jayhead000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but they need to have the controls with a separate plug on the end for the ear phones, or something. I wanna listen to it in my car! 4 gigs would be plenty, and the voice announcement is good, its just you have to set it to play and then unplug the earphones, and plug in the adapter to the car. Huge hassle! Plus, I don't think I can go around with "stock" earbuds anymore Razz. Oh well, I'll probably order one and hope some 3rd party releases a good dongle for it. Pretty sure they will.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases New iPod shuffle Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
In my opinion the 1st shuffle was the best design.
If Apple would have stuck with the USB stick type design and then later integrated a small LCD, I think that would be a real winner.

I really don't understand why Apple keeps head down the road of proprietary designs. Foolish I say.

Each of the previous two generations had design ideas that made sense. The first was so much smaller than the standard iPod and had that neat USB connector. The second was an MP3 player that clipped onto your clothes (which I still think was a great idea even though it lost the USB plug).

But the latest one? I don't know how many users have been complaining that the previous two Shuffles were too big and heavy, but the newest Shuffle is even smaller. Rolling Eyes It does make me wonder when Apple will decide that this exercise in size reduction has gone far enough.

Every now and again, Apple releases something that seems to be more of a proof-of-concept ("Hey, look what we can do!") than a viable product line.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's innovative for sure, 100% unlike any other in the market. Considering the economy isn't so great, it'll likely be a huge seller.

...anyone with an iPhone buying one??

Last edited by ESUNintel on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases New iPod shuffle Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Every now and again, Apple releases something that seems to be more of a proof-of-concept ("Hey, look what we can do!") than a viable product line.

I agree.

Along that note... I feel the same way about the Mac mini. Proof of concept. When it first came out it blew us all away. We were amazed. Apple engineers were incredible.

Now that the size of the mini has been established all revisions are developed around the 6.5"X6.5"X2" form factor. Apple engineers along with the marketing department sit there and scratch their heads thinking about what to cram into this little box. We the consumer are supposed to be delighted with their choices.

The new mini should be tagged as the BYODKM&A model (bring your own display keyboard mouse and ADAPTERS.

Sorry to sound negative. The mini is a great machine. It's just tough to get everything into such a small package. It's difficult to support legacy, current and future technologies.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad!!!!!

But no screen!!!

I know there are cheaper lcd screens out there look at philips gear to go the screen only cost's them .50 per screen why couldn't apple do a cheaper lcd.

$79.00 Wow that's expensive for another usb stick designed ipod that no one cares about and that no docking stand will take.

4 gig Big deal!!!! I purchased a 30 gig ipod photo for 40.00 at a pawn shop.

The only use i found out of the original shuffle usb stick design is that i use one as a flash drive now because i have a 30 gig ipod photo.

Not really impressed with this one..
zen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JahTS wrote:
Sorry folks, but I think the Sansa Clip is the best in this group of players.

I'd have to agree with you. A woman I work with owns one and she let me use it one day. I loved it! She said it was $50 for a 2GB. Plus you can use any headphones you want.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the previous shuffle, I just hope the sound is improved on this one.
For me the shuffle has a particular use, exercise/walking/running only. It's close to perfect, I don't need video, readout etc. under a gig is fine. I really like the inline remote as I was looking to get the in-ear remote phones for my Touch.
I wouldn't want to use it as a full featured AV player, it's not. I've got the Touch for that, and the other iPods do that.
If it came with the in-ears I'd get it.
somefreak90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in the business section of my paper today that 3rd party companies will make some sort of control adapter for it so it can be plugged into things like cars and whatnot.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somefreak90 wrote:
I read in the business section of my paper today that 3rd party companies will make some sort of control adapter for it so it can be plugged into things like cars and whatnot.

If there's a bill to be made in iPod aftermarket, there's a way. Smile
zen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Apple is keeping a 2GB version available of the previous revision.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
I heard Apple is keeping a 2GB version available of the previous revision.

They better. I have a feeling this might be their first loser iPod. That being said, it seems like people will buy anything from Apple these days. You never know what's going to be hot with the masses. Make that sheep.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: