123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macworld Reviews New Mac minis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Macworld Reviews New Mac minis Reply with quote

Macworld Reviews New Mac minis
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Macworld posted their review of the new Mac minis today. Dan Frakes writes, "The new Mac mini models provide the most significant upgrades to the line yet, offering slightly better CPU performance, considerably improved video capabilities, increased expandability, and better wireless technology. The result is that for the first time, the Mac mini is a computer that's truly capable of handling the iLife suite. More than ever, it's an appealing computer for those who already have a display, keyboard, and mouse, or those looking to build a Mac system on the smallest budget (or in the smallest space). It's also a good upgrade for owners of the PowerPC and first-generation Intel Mac minis. On the other hand, if you purchased a Mac mini in 2007, the new models are compelling upgrades only for those who want to play games or perform other graphics-card-intensive tasks."

Macworld awarded the $599 Mac mini 4 out of 5 mice. Based on value, the $799 Mac mini was awarded 3.5 out of 5 mice in comparison.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1164.html
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Macworld Reviews New Mac minis Reply with quote

Quote:
The result is that for the first time, the Mac mini is a computer that's truly capable of handling the iLife suite.

I'm sure snobby Mac users might feel that way, but I don't believe it. I think all of the CD and C2D Intel-based Mac minis have been up to the task.
zen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Macworld Reviews New Mac minis Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Quote:
The result is that for the first time, the Mac mini is a computer that's truly capable of handling the iLife suite.

I'm sure snobby Mac users might feel that way, but I don't believe it. I think all of the CD and C2D Intel-based Mac minis have been up to the task.

Agreed 100%
Texark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my new mini, but I'm still trying to figure out who would buy the $799 model. I could see if it included the 2.26GHz chip, but what a rip. Forget about giving it 3.5 mice. Most people are just giving it the finger. Smile
zen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
I love my new mini, but I'm still trying to figure out who would buy the $799 model. I could see if it included the 2.26GHz chip, but what a rip. Forget about giving it 3.5 mice. Most people are just giving it the finger. Smile

You have the current model? Done any gaming? Whats graphics performance like?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:

You have the current model? Done any gaming? Whats graphics performance like?

I can't speak for Texark, but I'm impressed. And this is only with entry-level configuration. I'm still waiting on 4GB and a faster HDD from Newegg. Anyways, I was playing around with X-Plane last night and it was really smooth. HD videos/trailers look great too. The video performance is definitely there. That and the support for dual displays is why I decided to upgrade.
iLife's a Bitch!
Fourthrock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! My username in Fourthrock and I am a former Windows PC user. Wink I am oh so new to things Mac and to this forum but I did just purchase the new base model Mac mini and I can't believe I did it but I almost immediately took a putty knife to it and installed the 4GB of memory. To my own amazement it still works and works just fine. I am a text junkie by trade so the most robust thing I do graphics speaking is the Second Life viewer. I don't have much of a Mac background, but I'd be happy to answer any questions about my experiences.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the previous 2.0 2Duo 2gb, 160gb (refurb surprise upgrades). I'm happy with it for my uses, but when Snow Leopard comes out I may get the 09 Mini to get iLife 09 too. N-wireless I'll probably make use of too.
I just wish they had also added something totally new, not just upgrades, to make it more interesting. Still a great computer.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourthrock wrote:
Hi! My username in Fourthrock and I am a former Windows PC user. Wink

Enter A.A. type clapping hands here. Smile

gigaguy wrote:
I just wish they had also added something totally new, not just upgrades, to make it more interesting. Still a great computer.

Personally, I think the design is classic and classy. Going with a black top or something Wii-ish might not have worked as well. And how can you not like what they've done on the inside this time around?
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my uses (so far) the 2.0 Mini does all I need. I think some obvious design/feature change may have gotten this under-appreciated Mac some due attention. I was at a crowded Apple store today and the 2 new Minis were mostly ignored.

I do plan to use Mini more and more for HD video. I have an Elgato hybrid that was always glitchy but with recent updates maybe it will work better.
MiniZac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: New Macmini user Reply with quote

Just purchased the 2GHz with 4GB RAM a couple days ago. Very impressed, very quiet and performance is good. I have my Ubuntu PC in the VGA port and the macmini in the DVI port on the monitor. OSX looks great on a standard ratio monitor. The bluetooth keyboard is great.

I wanted the higher CPU but instead I opted for more RAM and possible future purchase. I see how this goes, and if all goes well, get a macmini with Snow Leopard with iLife 10. I hope Apple keeps the Macmini up to date. It is a good product.

BTW: It seems like they don't display the macmini prominently in the stores, it was way down the back and most stores didn't have it at all. The iMac was not an option for me as I also use Ubuntu.

So far, a happy macmini user.
MiniZac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourthrock wrote:
Hi! My username in Fourthrock and I am a former Windows PC user. Wink I am oh so new to things Mac and to this forum but I did just purchase the new base model Mac mini and I can't believe I did it but I almost immediately took a putty knife to it and installed the 4GB of memory. To my own amazement it still works and works just fine. I am a text junkie by trade so the most robust thing I do graphics speaking is the Second Life viewer. I don't have much of a Mac background, but I'd be happy to answer any questions about my experiences.

Welcome! Me new user as well. I also got the 2GHz with 4GB RAM, but I got the store to do it for me.
Fourthrock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviews for the Mac mini do suggest that it ought to be the ideal Mac for us Windows PC “switchers”. As one of those abused and unfortunate souls I had my sights set on the mini. So I hope you don’t consider this post too far off thread when I mention that while waiting for the updated version to arrive I boot-camped the 64-bit version of the Windows 7 beta onto my MacBook. (I am one of those impatient sorts and just couldn’t wait to have that Mac.) I have endured nearly every update or upgrade or whatever you want to call it since Windows 2.0 and this is nothing to be writing all this hype about, a poor imitation of the Mac OS, only innovative in the fact that they chose something decent to copy, again. You remember CP/M, of course you do? Windows 7 will sooner or sooner force you to upgrade your hardware or your software or both. You are a long way towards buying a new Mac mini with just the cost of any upgrade, and my gosh you get something that works so much better than Windows ever has and promises, promises. promises notwithstanding, better than Windows 7, 8 or 9 ever will. I am glad I switched, I could kick myself for not switching sooner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: