123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Usarcher Apple TV Hero !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Usarcher Apple TV Hero ! Reply with quote

If anyone has been following my 4 Page Post about getting my demo model Apple TV up & running, they know how Frustrated I was. Anyway, I wanted to Thank a member here, for going out of his way 2 nights in a row, to get my Apple TV working. I know nothing about Terminal, so he typed what I needed to put in Terminal & I just Copy & Pasted. We used iChat to communicate. His perseverance & dedication is what got me my ATV working. I thank you kindly for a gallant effort & appreciate all you've done.

There is an intermittent problem with my Apple TV. It could be the IDE ribbon Cable from Hard Drive.Some guy selling one on eBay told me you need the authentic Apple Cable & could not use a standard IDE to IDE Female. Something about the Pins traveling both ways. But I would think that any IDE cable would do THAT. Smile It could be another problen entirely but when I move the IDE or try putting the Apple TV back together, I get the Flashing Question Mark Again. Could it also be overheating. Anyhow, it don't look pretty, I have the hard drive hanging just out out the casing with no cover on Apple TV but guess what ? It's working. Thanks again Usarcher!!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you thought you had been beat by that tiny box. That is great news Dino.

Last edited by TonyMontana on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey not a problem Dino, it was a lot of fun working it out Cool I think I read somewhere about the cable issue, I will have to find it. But what I remember was that the cable can only be put in in one direction. In theory though it is an all or nothing kind of thing, not just working while open and not when put back together.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I'm not so sure it's a Cable issue. It freezes up a lot. After reading here, I heard sometimes the update causes that. So I went to do a Factory Restore & when it Restarted, I was still on Version 2.0.2. Strange.

But I have been having fun with it. Any pointers you or anyone else could give me I would appreciate.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah whenever you do a factory restore it will default back to the base image in the recovery partition, which is the 2.0.2 in this case.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cool Understood. Here's the thing. I'm thinking my Ribbon Cable is bad. No matter what I do, when I enclose the HD in the case & screw it in, it goes to a Flashing Question Mark. No matter how many times I reset. There is a fold in the IDE Cable from the HD to the ATV Motherboard, when it is placed in the case. It's a pretty severe crease (fold). I'm thinking that is the problem but sometimes it'll freeze up without touching or moving anything when the HD is out of the case & working. I ran Diagnostics & it Passes to be Good every time. BTW, there is a new update just got today. 2.3.1 I ran that as well. Do you think that ribbon cable is proprietary for the Apple TV. It looks like an ordinary IDE Cable. I don't know, I'm gonna' keep it on & wait till it freezes up again.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, honestly without Usarcher's help, I would have never gotten to this point. I confess. I know nothing about typing code in Terminal. I'm from the old Windows school of typing maybe an occasional msconfig or ipconfig. That's as far as it goes. I know my limitations and it's a relief to know you guys are here for me. I just had my one year Mac anniversary in February. But I'm loving every minute of it. I guess I'm becoming a Fanboy. Everything in my office it white & shiny with an Apple on it. Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the thread I was looking for. I think you can replace the cable with this one. Check to see if the twists are on the same lines though.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But both sides NEED to be female!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is the Guy on eBay with the so called Authentic Apple TV IDE Cable.

Read What He Says:

[quoteYou are buying a Used Genuine Apple TV Hard Drive Cable

Removed from a working Apple TV.

Works Perfectly.

It is 44 Pins.

If you have the Icon of the Apple TV with a question mark flashing above it on your TV then it is either this cable or your Hard Drive. There have been issues reported with the cable failing after it has been disturbed, like you opened the Apple TV to upgrade or replace the Hard Drive.

You will not find these anywhere. The Apple TV uses a special connector and a custom built cable. If you use a regular Laptop 44 Pin Cable you will need to cut or break the sides of the IDE Connector on the Logic Board. That is because of the special connector used by Apple.

Also the Cable itself is a 88 Pin cable with the last 4 wires removed and the larger diameter 44 Pin cable inserted for those last 4 conductors. That is because these are the Power Wires for the IDE Hard Drive.
[/quote]
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let Me add an Update:

After doing today's new update, I am shuffling Videos for the last hour without experiencing any freezes or Lockups. This is with the Hard Drive out of the case & the Apple TV bottom cover off & open. I have it turned upside, so you can see all the electronics inside. I think it likes the fresh air. Smile

So! So far , So Good. I'm thinking IDE Cable right now is why I can't put HD inside. I have the IDE Cable Stretched out. It seems to work well without Crimping or bending of the IDE cable.

Stay Tuned for Next Update on my newly almost completely revived ATV !
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: