123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plannin on upgrade to seagate 100gb 5400rpm hd, few Q's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingzero1285

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Plannin on upgrade to seagate 100gb 5400rpm hd, few Q's Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I was reading everywhere that the jump from the factory 4200rpm harddrive to a 5400rpm harddrive is a noticable differece, like 50% or something. Well I am considering the 100gb 5400rpm Seagate ST9100823A... Would this be a nice drive for the mac mini? and will i notice a faster response with in OSX? basically will I be seeing less and less bouncing beach ball? Thanks
slickrick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will see a huge increase in performance going from 4200RPM to 5400RPM. I would save for an internal 7200RPM or go external. How much RAM do you have? Maxing out the RAM to 1GB can help get rid of some of those beachballs.
Cubist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There've been a few benchmarks comparing the different HD options for the mini. The internal 5400rpm HD's aren't quite as fast as just using an external HD(which is what I'm doing). Frankly, using an external HD has it's drawbacks, and I'd much rather have an internal HD as my startup disc. As far as I'm concerned, the best thing to do is to wait for the newer Seagate 7200rpm HD's to come down a bit in price and go with them. Barefeats has tested this drive and found it to be the fastest 2.5" HD they've ever seen. That's what I intend to do myself, in a few months time.
wingzero1285

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1gig in ram. Yeah waiting for that 7200 sounds good. I have a 7200 external which use to be in my PC. I use that for backing up my files (im never loosing my 18 gigs of music again lol). I guess waiting would be a good idea ?
Cubist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed aside, I need an HD with a capacity well over 100gig in size, which is another thing I'm waiting for as well.
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did just that last week. I got tired of waiting for the 7.2Ks so I got a 5.4K 100G. It is a tad more sluggish than the external drive I was using, but not bad enough to go back. I have the external in the wings just in case. I am starting to take it to work and I got tired of dragging the extra drive. I did a disk xbench on it and will do one on the external next time I reboot.

Brendan
wingzero1285

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
I did just that last week. I got tired of waiting for the 7.2Ks so I got a 5.4K 100G. It is a tad more sluggish than the external drive I was using, but not bad enough to go back. I have the external in the wings just in case. I am starting to take it to work and I got tired of dragging the extra drive. I did a disk xbench on it and will do one on the external next time I reboot.

Brendan

how is the 5400 in osx compared to the 4200? also which one did you get? is it noticably faster?
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingzero1285 wrote:

how is the 5400 in osx compared to the 4200? also which one did you get? is it noticably faster?

I used the 4200 for only a short time b4 getting the external so I do not recall. I did the x bench for disk only and got 68.58 with the 5400.

Brendan
Brendan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
wingzero1285 wrote:

I used the 4200 for only a short time b4 getting the external so I do not recall. I did the x bench for disk only and got 68.58 with the 5400.

Brendan

I got 69.80 on the external (7.2K 160G WD)
gaelan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cubist wrote:
Frankly, using an external HD has it's drawbacks, and I'd much rather have an internal HD as my startup disc.

What are some drawbacks to this setup? I'm planning on booting to an external drive and using the internal to back up. Haven't seen any posts as to drawbacks. Could you list them. Thanks.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise and size are the only two I can think of...
gaelan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
Noise and size are the only two I can think of...

is the noise difference really an issue? i figured (not experienced first hand) the internal drive would be more distracting than an external drive as far as noise is concerned.

i was thinking the pros would outweigh the cons...more storage for less money per gig, cooler mini in terms of temperature, and the ability to boot from a considerable faster drive in terms of rpms. also the ability to share the drive with a windows box...if needed.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise from an external drive wouldn't be an issue for me, but I've seen others mention it in posts here. FWIW, I've never heard my mini's internal drive. The CD/DVD drive is another story. Very Happy
gaelan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristobrat wrote:
The CD/DVD drive is another story. :D

is it pretty loud? also how well do external optical drives work via the usb or firewire ports on minis? i've read about patchburn and it seems like a viable option.
aristobrat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could have phrased that better. 95% of the time, the internal optical drive on my mini is quiet, but there have been some times when I've stuck in a CD/DVD and it's been loud as heck. I think the mini was trying to do multiple things to the drive at the same time (i.e. Finder and Toast were both trying to read it).

I use an USB external DVD writer with my mini and have had no problems with it. I almost always burn with Toast, so I haven't messed around with the patchburn stuff yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: