123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV Store Display ! Restore Default Settings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open a chat in yahoo messenger or do a google chat and do a file transfer.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino I'm getting the file now it will be done in less than two hours. I can send it to you then if you and usarcher can't work it out.
usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Open a chat in yahoo messenger or do a google chat and do a file transfer.
I didn't even think about using a chat to do it, good call Tony Very Happy
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

Your The Best! That is indeed very nice of you. Do you have iChat or AIM?
My Screen Name is Dino1956 on both!

I'll be on iChat/Aim!

Thanks again !

Dino
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino:

Let me know if you and Usarcher work this out. The download of the DMG is going slow. It won't be done for a few more hours. I can then serve it to you off my mac if you haven't got it yet.
usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Dino:

Let me know if you and Usarcher work this out. The download of the DMG is going slow. It won't be done for a few more hours. I can then serve it to you off my mac if you haven't got it yet.
I got it transfered to Dino, now he is just waiting to get the ide to usb cable.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony & a Special Thanks to Usarcher who gave me the File. It was great chatting with you. It's sometimes nice to be able to use iChat & actually get to know the great people of this Forum. My Favorite Forum ever. Thanks again. When I get the Cable, I'll let you know how I make out.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I know I'm making this more complicated than what is is. So what else is new ? Smile

The following is a Post from the Guy who I quoted 4 Posts ago with Directions on How To Do This.

He writes:

"First, see if the drive's partition scheme is still valid by doing as I recommend and installing an ATV OSBoot from here. If all is good, all you should need to do is mount the ATV's hard drive on your mac and use Disk Utility to do a Restore to the OSBoot partition from the latest image available at iClarified. It is essential that you restore to the OSBoot partition of the ATV drive - DO NOT modify any of the other partitions. After the restoration and while still in Disk Utility, click on the Media partition of the ATV drive and initialize it. DO NOT initialize the drive, only the Media partition.

If it does not work, then you need to reinitialize the drive and get it properly formatted and partition according to the thread that talks about getting a 250 gb drive in the ATV. I've never done that method (I have iPartition for my ATV hacking), but others have used it with success."

My question is, do I not have to worry about the OSBoot Partition & not install it in the OSBoot Partition? I guess I'm still not sure what I Erase. The entire ATV Hard Drive or just the Separate Partitions, One at a Time? Or the entire ATV Hard Drive? Again, Am I restoring to the OSBoot Folder or just the entire ATV Hard Drive ? I'm sorry for being an absolute Pain, but I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Disk Utility is not something I use a lot. Thanks guys! Once Again, I appreciate it!

Boy, imagine if I had to use Terminal !! Smile

I promise, I'll try not to ask too many more questions until after I try it.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem Dino, ask as many questions as you need.

You erase the entire AppleTV hard drive. The image on the smallatv.dmg should create all the partitions needed. So while in Disk Utility, select the top level drive for the ATV not the partitions, drag that into the destination part of the restore screen and check the Erase Destination check box. Than just drop the smallatv.dmg into the source and hit restore.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Man. Thank you. That Sounds really Simple & that's what I thought you had explained on iChat. I just wanted to be sure. So the .dmg files Creates the Folders & Partitions all on it's own. That is way Cool. Thank you again. You won't hear from me again until I have it completed (or not Completed) ! Smile
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for my cable to hook my ATV HD to my Mac. USPS is the Worst by far. It's been an entire week. On another note:My LaCie d2 DVD-RW came back from repair & it is functioning again. As Tom Petty says "The Waiting is the Hardest Part".
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Still waiting for my cable to hook my ATV HD to my Mac. USPS is the Worst by far. It's been an entire week. On another note:My LaCie d2 DVD-RW came back from repair & it is functioning again. As Tom Petty says "The Waiting is the Hardest Part".
Sorry to hear you still haven't gotten the cable, the suspense must be killing you, it is me Shocked
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you know it is! USPS is the worst! I sure hope it is worth the wait. My ATV is apart & the HD is lying on my Desk for a week, waiting to be connected & formatted. In the meantime, I've been searching & there are other methods by which to do this. Some say to leave OSBoot Folder & Media Folder in Tact. I just hope this little smallatv.dmg file creates those folders again after I erase them.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Bad News ! Reply with quote

Bad News !

Got the Cable. All went good except the file you sent me (smallatv.dmg) came up with the Following Error when I tried to Restore it!
"Restore Failure Could Not Validate Source - Error 254".

So then I remembered I had downloaded that other guy (the guy I mentioned here in my Thread) and his file created a bunch of Folders and that part worked. It looked like I was good to go.

But again, when I plug the Apple TV in , I get the Question Mark. I reset on Remote. Still the Question Mark. I know the Hard Drive is good because it mounted on my Mac & I was able to read & see Folders.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. It seems that this guys Instructions might have worked with the Apple Updater but since I already Erased the entire drive as per your Directions, now I am just getting an Apple for 10 Seconds & it goes off & keeps on resetting the Apple TV. Again, I probably should have followed these Instructions And used his Apple Updater & Method. It's too late now, so how do I get this smallatv.dmg file to work. Usarcher, maybe we can get on iChat & you can give me a hand. Why couldn't this have been easier. Again here is the other guys Instructions:
Here are the Instructions:

1. Download the Apple TV 2.0.2 updater onto your Mac.

2. Pull the drive and connect it to your Mac (e.g., USB enclosure or the such).

3. Use Disk Utility to erase the OSBoot and Media partitions. Note, DO NOT erase the drive, only these two partitions.

4. Use Disk Utility's Restore function to install the updater image you downloaded in step 1 to the OSBoot partition of the ATV's drive.

5. Reassemble your ATV.

6. Go to church and say prayer.

7. Turn on ATV.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: