123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iFixit Posts Mac mini Teardown and Hard Drive Hack
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Older mini's? Reply with quote

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I would think with so many older mini's out there that iFixit could come up with a kit for them and not limit just for the new ones. As long as we're going to have to solder and everything, why couldn't this be done? Is there some insurmountable technical issue? Hey, we got to the moon 40 years ago this coming July, right?

It's all about having SATA instead or IDE and something for power.

And...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mouUUWpEec0

Smile
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to wait for Snow Leopard to be released before I buy any more Macs.

I've a sneaky feeling that with Snow Leopard still a year off, Apple might still have some surprises in store on their headless range.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
lelliott731

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
I'm a little bummed about the CPU being soldered, but this is a sweet update. I'm buying one as soon Snow Leopard gets released.

Tell me about it. I was hoping that we could put the new Core 2 Extreme 9300 Quad Core CPU inside of the new edition of the Mini, since it operates off the 1066MHz FSB and uses a far better video chipset, etc. It really could have been quite a little server, or quite a champion in the way it was meant, especially with Dual Monitors.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lelliott731 wrote:
Tell me about it. I was hoping that we could put the new Core 2 Extreme 9300 Quad Core CPU inside of the new edition of the Mini, since it operates off the 1066MHz FSB and uses a far better video chipset, etc. It really could have been quite a little server, or quite a champion in the way it was meant, especially with Dual Monitors.

I'm pretty sure that uses a different socket than the mobile chips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: