123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iFixit Posts Mac mini Teardown and Hard Drive Hack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: iFixit Posts Mac mini Teardown and Hard Drive Hack Reply with quote

iFixit Posts Mac mini Teardown and Hard Drive Hack
Friday, March 6, 2008
Posted by: Brian

iFixit has posted their teardown of the new Mac mini. It basically shows you how to open the Mac mini and what's on the inside. The teardown gets a little more interesting at the end though. iFixit also posted instructions on how to add a second internal hard drive to the new Mac mini. All you need to do is remove the SuperDrive, replace the original hard drive (if desired), rig up a couple of SATA cables for data and power, and reconnect the new hard drive in place of the SuperDrive. They even offer a 1TB kit for $250 that includes everything you need. All you need to do it BYOSIAS. Bring your own soldering iron and solder for the cables.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1159.html
Micheal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have the SuperDrive for now, but that's cool.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... all that trouble to lose the SuperDrive and gain a few hundred GB?

I'd rather have a miniStack (or two... or three) under my Mac mini.

Especially a miniStack v3 connected via FW800 or even a SATA cable mod.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is why Apple changed the SuperDrive to SATA. Smile
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
So... all that trouble to lose the SuperDrive and gain a few hundred GB?

I'd rather have a miniStack (or two... or three) under my Mac mini.

Especially a miniStack v3 connected via FW800 or even a SATA cable mod.

The hack is cool, but I agree. I would rather have the MiniStack V3 going with FW800. In fact, I'm half way there. I'm trying to sell my Mac mini on craigslist and upgrade. Smile
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re adding another internal drive.

My only concern would be the extra spike in heat build up...

And we all know how excessive heat reduces the life~span of things... Cool

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:

And we all know how excessive heat reduces the life~span of things... Cool

You could always leave the lid off. Those new orange antennas for AirPort and Bluetooth look kind of cool. Smile
iLife's a Bitch!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to living with out a disk drive, my MacBook Air and Vaio P don't have one, so I wouldn't mind removing the disk drive on the Mac Mini to add space if I really had to.

...but than again, in the world we live in we don't need HDD space either. It's all about the "cloud" now, and companies like HP and Microsoft (I know, we usually don't like Microsoft), offer solutions like the Windows Home Server.

Like I've said, I will open the Mini up, but it be to add a SSD, I rather have a little quicker of a drive than the space.
zen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I'm used to living with out a disk drive, my MacBook Air and Vaio P don't have one, so I wouldn't mind removing the disk drive on the Mac Mini to add space if I really had to.

...but than again, in the world we live in we don't need HDD space either. It's all about the "cloud" now, and companies like HP and Microsoft (I know, we usually don't like Microsoft), offer solutions like the Windows Home Server.

Like I've said, I will open the Mini up, but it be to add a SSD, I rather have a little quicker of a drive than the space.

Even with how far the "cloud" has come its still pretty far away from having 1TB. Most cloud services offer less than 10GB so your logic doesn't help anyone that really does need 1TB.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or does the fan and/or housing look bigger in these new Mac minis? I need to find another picture and compare. I haven't had my CD Mac mini open in ages.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

Even with how far the "cloud" has come its still pretty far away from having 1TB. Most cloud services offer less than 10GB so your logic doesn't help anyone that really does need 1TB.

That's why there's WHS, Drobo, and others, one can manage their own cloud service, and in the long-run might cost less than those companies that charge a service fee.

WHS/Drobo can pretty much house as many HDD's as one may need, Drobo is limited to 8TB right now (biggest HDD in the market is the WD 2TB, and WHS should be able to house at least 12TB (if you build your own and purchase a motherboard with 6 SATA connections, and 6 of those HDD drives). ..and if more space is needed, just purchase a SATA card, more HDD's and a bigger case.

...and you can connect as many computers as you might like to these devices, and access your data from anywhere in the world you might be.
idave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little bummed about the CPU being soldered, but this is a sweet update. I'm buying one as soon Snow Leopard gets released.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
saul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered that the new mini supports the Remote Install Mac OS X utility. That means if you do replace your SuperDrive you can still run AHT and re-install everything remotely.
99Cent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
I'm a little bummed about the CPU being soldered, but this is a sweet update. I'm buying one as soon Snow Leopard gets released.

I'm bummed out, but not waiting that long. My order just went in. Very Happy
Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Older mini's? Reply with quote

I would think with so many older mini's out there that iFixit could come up with a kit for them and not limit just for the new ones. As long as we're going to have to solder and everything, why couldn't this be done? Is there some insurmountable technical issue? Hey, we got to the moon 40 years ago this coming July, right?

Mac Mini C2D 4 Gigs, 500 Gig WD internal, Lacie 1TB external. iPod touch, iPhone 3GS, Newton 110. Two Mac Mini's - C2D 2 Gigs, 320 Gig WD internal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: