123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HardDrive please explain!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trout

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: HardDrive please explain! Reply with quote

What do you all mean when I read things like " I took a chance on the smaller drive or the faster hard drive"

Is the 40Gig drive a 5400 RPM drive and the 80Gig a 4200RPM drive?

the specs say they are both the same...............no?

please fill me in, IF the one drive is 5400 and the other is 4200, the HD speed idfference will be greater than the CPU speed difference. I would actually rather have a faster HD, than a 170MHZ difference any day.

please fill me in

torut
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: HardDrive please explain! Reply with quote

trout wrote:
What do you all mean when I read things like " I took a chance on the smaller drive or the faster hard drive"

Is the 40Gig drive a 5400 RPM drive and the 80Gig a 4200RPM drive?

the specs say they are both the same...............no?

please fill me in, IF the one drive is 5400 and the other is 4200, the HD speed idfference will be greater than the CPU speed difference. I would actually rather have a faster HD, than a 170MHZ difference any day.

please fill me in

torut

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but...I believe MOST of the 80GB drives being shipped with the Mac mini's are 4200rpm and MOST of the 40GB drives are 5400rpm. However, SOME have reported to have gotten 5400rpm 80GB drives.

I went with the 1.42Ghz system because, worst case, I can always upgrade the hard drive...(no way of easily doing so with the CPU) Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: HardDrive please explain! Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but...I believe MOST of the 80GB drives being shipped with the Mac mini's are 4200rpm and MOST of the 40GB drives are 5400rpm. However, SOME have reported to have gotten 5400rpm 80GB drives.

I went with the 1.42Ghz system because, worst case, I can always upgrade the hard drive...(no way of easily doing so with the CPU) Smile

Well said! 40GB is too small anyways
iLife's a Bitch!
nalenb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always get an external firewire or usb drive though. How does one tell the speed anyways?
n2o2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Carbon Copy to clone my internal drive to a 80Gb partition on my firewire external harddisk (200Gb, 7200rpm, 8Mb cache) and boot this one. Works faster as your main drive than the slower internal drive.
robbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mini has the Toshiba 80GB and I believe it's a 4200 RPM drive. Not sure if that helps any but Iím new here.
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n2o2 wrote:
I used Carbon Copy to clone my internal drive to a 80Gb partition on my firewire external harddisk (200Gb, 7200rpm, 8Mb cache) and boot this one. Works faster as your main drive than the slower internal drive.

Leuk te horen! (sorry, english speaking people!!) So I'll better continue in English. I have here a Firewire (IEEE 1394)/USB 2.0 COMBO enclosure in which I plan to install a Hitachi/IBM Deskstar 7200 rpm drive, I heard that's one of the fastest. So if I connect to Firewire and clone only the OS to the disk, how much should I need as a partition, or is that impossible? It sounds very promising to make a faster mini just by using an external drive, so one does not need to replace the original drive after all. Rolling Eyes
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
n2o2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T. Kirk© wrote:
Leuk te horen! (sorry, english speaking people!!) So I'll better continue in English. I have here a Firewire (IEEE 1394)/USB 2.0 COMBO enclosure in which I plan to install a Hitachi/IBM Deskstar 7200 rpm drive, I heard that's one of the fastest. So if I connect to Firewire and clone only the OS to the disk, how much should I need as a partition, or is that impossible? It sounds very promising to make a faster mini just by using an external drive, so one does not need to replace the original drive after all. Rolling Eyes

I created a 80Gb partition on my external drive to match the Mini harddrive. Works fine but there seems to be an issue when the mini wakes up from sleep. In some cases I had to reboot because it was not possible to login.
Switched back to the internal drive for now...
timerlake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T. Kirk© wrote:

Why don't you just put the 7200rpm drive in the mini? Take the slower drive out and use it in the enclosure. Worried about heat?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timerlake wrote:
Why don't you just put the 7200rpm drive in the mini? Take the slower drive out and use it in the enclosure. Worried about heat?

My guess is that his 7200rpm drive is not of the 2.5" variety...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timerlake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad I thought he was talking about the Travelstar one not the Deskstar.
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
timerlake wrote:

My guess is that his 7200rpm drive is not of the 2.5" variety...

Quite right and my enclosure, which I already had bought anyway, is a full size Firewire 400/USB 2.0, just perfect for the job. Another matter it is way easier to put a full grown 3'5 in an external case than a 2'5 drive in the mini. On top of all, a 3'5 drive is way cheaper and one can go up to 300 GB and more (I've seen a La Cie external drive of 1 TB, so 1000 GB, in a Firewire 800 enclosure. Besides it is pretty expensive, way over the mini's price, the mini does not support FW 800). I guess you can't beat 120 Euro's for a 160 GB Hitachi Deskstar 7200 rpm, 8 mb cache in a combodrive if you want a 7200 rpm 2'5 drive which is a 60 GB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 rpm, costs about 155 Euro over here. Bottom line: external disk is cheaper, easier and bigger.
bubba

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T. Kirk© wrote:
n2o2 wrote:

I'd use google if I wanted to know Smile

Carbon Copy Cloner only needs a disk equal to or more than the amount of data used on the source drive. If for some reason CCC doesn't work, it will give you an error. Make sure you verify after each clone and don't whipe your source drive unti you're sure it worked.
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:

Carbon Copy Cloner only needs a disk equal to or more than the amount of data used on the source drive. If for some reason CCC doesn't work, it will give you an error. Make sure you verify after each clone and don't whipe your source drive unti you're sure it worked.

I have 'some' computer expirience Wink and I probably would keep the original OS-X on the fixed disk, for travelling purposes. It is just to easy to flabbergast all those Windoze people with a serious OS, just bringing this little PPC (and a PS/2 to USB cable) and connect to their Windoze display, keyboard and mouse Laughing
nalenb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you haven't seen PC104 stuff then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: