123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Apple Updates AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Reply with quote

Apple Updates AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule
Tuesday, March 3, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Apple today announced that its AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi Base Station and Time Capsule now feature simultaneous 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz dual-band networking for optimal performance, range and compatibility. They also feature an innovative Guest Network feature allows setting up a secondary network for friends and visitors with Internet-only access so you don't have to hand out your WiFi password. Time Capsule combines an 802.11n router and server-grade hard disk for automatic wireless back-up with Time Machine, and is immediately available in two models: a 500GB model for $299 and a 1TB model for $499. The AirPort Extreme Base Station is also available immediately for a suggested retail price of $179.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1151.html
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, I just bought an AEBS two months ago. I always had dual-band in the back of my mind. Sad
j2tran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have old Time Capsule, is this update an hardware or software? I've updated the Airport software but I don't see an option for an "Guest Network" or dual 2.4GHz & 5GHz option? Can someone explain?
Wish List - Mac Mini with Blu-Ray
Wedge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j2tran wrote:
I have old Time Capsule, is this update an hardware or software? I've updated the Airport software but I don't see an option for an "Guest Network" or dual 2.4GHz & 5GHz option? Can someone explain?

It's a hardware change (new part numbers), so it's not something you'll see in the config of your older model.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
Dang, I just bought an AEBS two months ago. I always had dual-band in the back of my mind. Sad

I feel your pain. I bought one right before Christmas.

j2tran wrote:

You won't be ale to upgrade through a software or firmware update. It's really a mixture of hardware and software.
iLife's a Bitch!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have one instead of my AEBS 802.11n and Belkin split job.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine for over a while, so I can justify an upgrade, I got my friend the Airport Extreme for Christmas, I feel horrible. ...o, well.

Anyone know if the new Extreme is UPnP compatible? I sort of miss that feature, since I have a Windows Server and a PS3 on the network (there's always work-arounds though).
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
scooper wrote:

I feel your pain. I bought one right before Christmas. Sad

I just got one last week (Best Buy)! I might try taking it back.

Brendan
zen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its just a placebo effect but since the update my wifi seems a bit faster. Anyone else notice this?
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen wrote:
Maybe its just a placebo effect but since the update my wifi seems a bit faster. Anyone else notice this?

Are you talking about the software update from last night? If so, I really haven't noticed an increase.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
zen wrote:

Are you talking about the software update from last night? If so, I really haven't noticed an increase.

That's probably more likely with a firmware update for the base station. Then again, maybe the client update helped you some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: