123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV Store Display ! Restore Default Settings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooops...sorry for the double post.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mac Migs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Won't I be able to Watch anything I have on iTunes on the Apple TV ? I have a 500 GB External Firewire MyBook which is home to my iTunes and it is plugged into my Mac Mini. I really don't see myself buying or renting many movies from iTunes, so in my case 40 GB would not even be used. My external MyBook (my iTunes) would be what I would be watching and listening to most of the time.

You should be able to watch whatever movies or music you already have in your iTunes on your AppleTV. The question would be if you plan to sync or stream the music and movie files. If you sync them you'll be using the hard drive in your AppleTV. If you stream them, then they are basically pulled from your computer. With syncing, you don't have to have your computer on since the files are already on the AppleTV.

If you decide later you want to install ATV on it, they have a hack that lets you use an external USB drive to store media on it to be played on your AppleTV. It's pretty cool, I've tried it and it works. I just don't like the fact that it doesn't support the same format the AppleTV uses when viewing the meta-date of your files, unless they've updated that now. I haven't used my AppleTV for a couple weeks now so I've been out of the loop with things....
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have the 40 GB version and stream all my videos, never had any problem with lag. I have all my music and some photos synced, with plenty of space left over for the occasional rental or two.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes then I guess I'll be wanting to Stream them, not Synch. Thanks for all the useful info & options. I'm new to this. I just need to get it fixed. I downloaded smallatv.rar file, I'm just not so sure how to do the install. I have to hook the Hard Drive up to my Mac, whichn is aproblem in itself, since I don't have a Hard Drive enclosure. I'll keep you posted on gow I make out.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Yes then I guess I'll be wanting to Stream them, not Synch. Thanks for all the useful info & options. I'm new to this. I just need to get it fixed. I downloaded smallatv.rar file, I'm just not so sure how to do the install. I have to hook the Hard Drive up to my Mac, whichn is aproblem in itself, since I don't have a Hard Drive enclosure. I'll keep you posted on gow I make out.

You can pick up an IDE/SATA to USB adapter from around $20 or less. Than just use Disk Utility to restore the image to the drive.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid after reading the Tutorial & not having very much experience & comfort with Terminal, I'm going to take the easy way out. Smile
I'm going to take it to an Apple Certified store & have him Verify it's the Hard Drive. If it is the Hard Drive, the same company selling the 320GB Hard Drives (on eBay) with Apple Firmware Pre-installed have a 40 GB Hard Drive Pre-Installed for $27. It could also be the ide ribbon cable, as it looks like someone has taped it on one side. So the cable looks like it was repaired. I'm gonna have the Apple guy tell me what it is & I'll go on from there.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
I'm afraid after reading the Tutorial & not having very much experience & comfort with Terminal, I'm going to take the easy way out. Smile
I'm going to take it to an Apple Certified store & have him Verify it's the Hard Drive. If it is the Hard Drive, the same company selling the 320GB Hard Drives (on eBay) with Apple Firmware Pre-installed have a 40 GB Hard Drive Pre-Installed for $27. It could also be the ide ribbon cable, as it looks like someone has taped it on one side. So the cable looks like it was repaired. I'm gonna have the Apple guy tell me what it is & I'll go on from there.
There is no need for the use of terminal with the smallatv, just restore through Disk Utility.

Thinking about it you are probably still covered by the Apple warranty even if it was a display model, something to look into.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher,

I did not know you could do it without Terminal. I already have the smallatv.rar file downloaded but I don't know what to do with it. Smile Everywhere I read, says you need Terminal. Also, I have no device for taking the Hard Drive out & plugging it into my Mac. I think first thing is first though, I need to verify if it's the Hard Drive that is dead or corupted or the ide Cable is broken & not making contact or if it's both. My Apple TV is out of Warranty but I know the guy at the Store and the least he could do is let me know what the problem is. Again, I'll keep you updated. I'm going to the Apple Dealer on Friday.

Thanks for all the help.

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, let me know how it goes and I can help you with the restore if it turns out that is all it needs.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for offering. I do appreciate it!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual,
I'm going to attempt to get my Apple TV up & running, The Hard Way ! I'm going to try to do it myself. Smile

I just want to see if I can do it. I saw this reply to a Post on another Forum. And it seems simple, but I'm not sure it will work.

Here are the Instructions:

1. Download the Apple TV 2.0.2 updater onto your Mac.

2. Pull the drive and connect it to your Mac (e.g., USB enclosure or the such).

3. Use Disk Utility to erase the OSBoot and Media partitions. Note, DO NOT erase the drive, only these two partitions.

4. Use Disk Utility's Restore function to install the updater image you downloaded in step 1 to the OSBoot partition of the ATV's drive.

5. Reassemble your ATV.

6. Go to church and say prayer.

7. Turn on ATV.

Anyone have an Opinion on wether this would work or not? This update is 169 MB's (It seems like it's the entire OSBoot Folder) & when it Mounts to my Mac, it looks like there is a lot of what I need there. Of course,I don't really know. Smile Anyway I ordered an IDE to USB Cable, so I can attach the ATV Hard Drive to my Mac Mini. I'll let you know in about a week, if it worked.

Wish me Luck (or Pray) !
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
As usual,
I'm going to attempt to get my Apple TV up & running, The Hard Way ! I'm going to try to do it myself. Smile

I just want to see if I can do it. I saw this reply to a Post on another Forum. And it seems simple, but I'm not sure it will work.

Here are the Instructions:

1. Download the Apple TV 2.0.2 updater onto your Mac.

2. Pull the drive and connect it to your Mac (e.g., USB enclosure or the such).

3. Use Disk Utility to erase the OSBoot and Media partitions. Note, DO NOT erase the drive, only these two partitions.

4. Use Disk Utility's Restore function to install the updater image you downloaded in step 1 to the OSBoot partition of the ATV's drive.

5. Reassemble your ATV.

6. Go to church and say prayer.

7. Turn on ATV.

Anyone have an Opinion on wether this would work or not? This update is 169 MB's (It seems like it's the entire OSBoot Folder) & when it Mounts to my Mac, it looks like there is a lot of what I need there. Of course,I don't really know. Smile Anyway I ordered an IDE to USB Cable, so I can attach the ATV Hard Drive to my Mac Mini. I'll let you know in about a week, if it worked.

Wish me Luck (or Pray) !
With the smallatv.rar you can do it all in just a few steps. Now I have not actually done this since mine is still under warranty, but when its not I plan on cracking the little guy open.

1. Un-rar the smallatv.rar, this will give you a smallatv.dmg

2. Hook up the atv's hard drive to your computer

3. Use Disk Utility's restore function to install the smallatv.dmg onto the hard drive

4. Put it all back together and preform a factory restore

5. Run the updates, the new 2.3.1 is a nice update for speed reasons.

Did you ever take it to the repair guy to see if it was the cable or hard drive?

Good luck Smile
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny but I downloaded the smallatv.rar but I could not unzip it on my Mac. I unzipped it on Windows & it gave me a Folder. No .dmg. file. How do I unzip a.rar on my Mac, so it can unzip to a .dmg ?

As far as the Cable vs. the Hard Drive being the Problem. The guy who owned Apple TV before me (Long Story), said it booted into Demo Mode & then he put in Boxee USB Thumb Drive Hack and that's why it's not loading. If the ^%$&* would have had an Apple Remote, he could have Factory Restored the Apple Tv, I'm almost sure.

So according to him, the Cable is Fine. He just screwed up the Hard Drive Firmware somehow. I'll find out for sure when I finally get the HD hooked up to my Mac Mini.

The Steps you mention using smallatv.rar sound the simplest by far. Now how do I unzip & get a .dmg from the Zipped File ? I'll Google it & see what I find.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my smallatv.rar file is corupted or broken. Tried 2 Programs to Unzip. Both Failed. Does anyone have the smallatv.dmg they can send me ?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Unarchiver is a good app for un-raring.

I have the image, not sure how I can send it to you, its pretty big (1.88GB for the dmg, about 180MB for the rar file). If you know how I can send you a file of that size let me know and I will send it your way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: