123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV 2.3.1 Update Released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Apple TV 2.3.1 Update Released Reply with quote

Apple TV 2.3.1 Update Released
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Posted by: Fran

Apple has quietly released the Apple TV 2.3.1 Software Update. According to reports, the minor update adds a new "Network Test" option in the network settings. This test sends information about your Internet connection to Apple in order to help improve download performance. I'm sorry to say, but that appears to be the only addition to the software. No other specifics about the update were given at this time. If you happen to see anything else, please let us know in the forums.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1145.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:35 am; edited 6 times in total
Grover Time

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to re-apply the patchstick for Boxee. That isn't Apple's fault though. Laughing
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update worked, I even sent Apple some results already.

Sure, this isn't a big update, but perhaps Apple plans to release something new for AppleTV, and that's why they would like to test network connections?

...who knows.
papa13wg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to forget then re-connect to my iPod Touch Remote app. Wouldn't load the Apple TV Library after installing update.
usarcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seeing faster downloads? I have yet to install the update but some people over at appletvjunkie are claiming that they are getting faster downloads after preforming the new network test. One person said the HD movie they rented was able to be viewed in 15 seconds as opposed to 30 minutes before 2.3.1 If this is the case that is great news. I remember when I first got my AppleTV SD rentals would start almost instantly, and HD rentals started within a minute, has been that way for a while.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Sure, this isn't a big update, but perhaps Apple plans to release something new for AppleTV, and that's why they would like to test network connections?

I would love to see some type of subscription service for movies and music.

usarcher wrote:
I remember when I first got my AppleTV SD rentals would start almost instantly, and HD rentals started within a minute, has been that way for a while.

Yeah, I think they've been having trouble since around November. Maybe the uptick in sales is starting to put a strain on their network. At least the part responsible for serving up Apple TV content. So this could be a way for them to redirect traffic to different servers. It weed outs people with a slower connection and directs them to another server or something, so it doesn't slow things down for people with faster connections.

Were you able to try an HD rental?

Some people are also saying this update helps with the Remote application for the iPhone and iPod touch. I haven't really noticed a difference though.
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
Were you able to try an HD rental?
I have yet to preform the update. I was hoping someone here had tried it. I plan on updating just haven't got around to it yet, Boxee was one thing I wanted to make sure still works and it sounds like you just have to re-patch and it works fine.

I'll try it tonight if I can, I have a lot of snow I have to get off my roof before it rains tomorrow though Rolling Eyes
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
I'll try it tonight if I can, I have a lot of snow I have to get off my roof before it rains tomorrow though Rolling Eyes

Be careful up there! As you know, ice + roof = dangerous.

I'm pretty sure this update has improved my download speed across the board. I'm talking with trailers and rentals.
iLife's a Bitch!
usarcher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
usarcher wrote:

Be careful up there! As you know, ice + roof = dangerous.

I'm pretty sure this update has improved my download speed across the board. I'm talking with trailers and rentals.
I'm not to worried about falling off, there are large enough snowbanks that my 2 level house is effectively 1 level Confused

Good to hear about the speed increase, I forgot to mention about the HD trailers starting and stopping. Looks like I will definitely update tonight.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine won't even update. It keeps failing and saying that I need to restart. I restart, update again and it says the same thing. Time to call Apple. Sad
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if running the network test makes a difference or not. Why? I keep getting the message: Can't connect to Apple. Check your network connection or try again later. I know my network connection is fine, so Apple must be the one having trouble. I really hope they're running a network test on their end. Laughing
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
usarcher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't tried an HD rental yet, probably sometime this weekend, but the HD trailers play perfectly now. No more stutters, lets just hope it stays this way.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
Well I haven't tried an HD rental yet, probably sometime this weekend, but the HD trailers play perfectly now. No more stutters, lets just hope it stays this way.

I rented an HD movie on Friday, and the movie was ready to watch in about half a minute. I agree, the trailers download much quicker now.
jazzmanedh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
I don't know if running the network test makes a difference or not. Why? I keep getting the message: Can't connect to Apple. Check your network connection or try again later. I know my network connection is fine, so Apple must be the one having trouble. I really hope they're running a network test on their end. Laughing

I downloaded the update and now I can't connect to my Apple Tv using my 802.11n wireless router. I swapped it back to my old 802.11g and it works fine. I also can't run the test to apple as it says it can't connect yet it uses the network connection to play youtube and music videos.
KlaasVisser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran the update this past weekend (had to configure the network again), ran the speed test, and noticed the improvement in downloads (trailers, SD and HD rentals).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: