123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Fortress Mac is finally breached" MacUser article
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: "Fortress Mac is finally breached" MacUser article Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post the link to this article as it's definitely worth a read...
http://www.macuser.co.uk/news/246852
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis' true Johnny. I myself am guilty. Instead of running a software security full time I might just start running it on individual programs before install. Or anything that requires a admin password for that matter. We as mac users have become too comfortable (or lazy in my case) in our OS environment.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do they write stuff like this every time a new bit of malware is discovered for OS X?

After, at least, three years of malware coming out for, or would that be against, OS X it is well past time to write headlines like "Fortress Mac has fallen."

Bunch of hacks(the writers, not the hackers)!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah some attack...

Look at how many Macs got infected...

Then compare it to Attacks on Windows...

Adam J O'donnell wrote:
According to F-Secure, more than 250,000 new pieces of Windows malware were identified in 2007, and, if current trends continue, we are set for another 500,000 to appear by the end of 2008 (www.f-secure.com/2007/2/index.html).

Meanwhile, the number of total pieces of Mac malware is rumored to be less than .1% of that total, with the majority of that total appearing only last year.1

Given those sorts of statistics, I know which side of the fortress I'd want to be..Laughing Laughing

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After being online 24/7 with various Macs for 10 years and having never caught a bug, I think there is a strong chance I'll stick with MacOS. Very Happy
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just watching a tutorial video on "Networking and Security" on Lynda.com, and the guy said they did a test to see how long a computer could stay hooked up to the internet without any sort of protection (including the firewall of a router) before getting compromised, and he said it took an average of about 12 seconds.

Shocked

I'm not usually one to fall prey to these sort of scare tactics, but that kinda worked on me.

Of course, after watching the section on Mac security, I felt much better....but still.

I wish there was a good breakdown on how to best protect your Mac from security threats somewhere...

Does anyone here use the built in firewall software in Leopard?

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station, use Little Snitch, and have Intego's Virus Barrier installed, so I'm not convinced that the built in firewall is gonna do much more for me than what I've already got.
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:

Aqua

Aqua, I went to see "Spamalot" onstage last month, and it was really freakin' funny!

It was hard not to say all of the dialogue out loud along with the actors, having seen the Holy Grail about a bazillion times...
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aargh-a-Knot wrote:

Firewall ?
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aargh-a-Knot wrote:

Yes, and I've also switched "stealth mode" on... however, the message at the bottom of Scooper's posts still accurately tells me what OS I'm using, what my IP address is and which browser I'm using. So, I'm not sure how effective it all is.
lumberjack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aqua,

its good that Python lives on ( unlike Graham ).

Can we pour boiling oil on the Window adversaries ?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Aargh-a-Knot wrote:

Yes, and I've also switched "stealth mode" on... however, the message at the bottom of Scooper's posts still accurately tells me what OS I'm using, what my IP address is and which browser I'm using. So, I'm not sure how effective it all is.

That doesn't have anything to do with stealth mode. Stealth mode simply doesn't answer the door when anyone comes a knocking. However your browser sends information telling websites that are visited what it is, and that's what those sigs present.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
That doesn't have anything to do with stealth mode. Stealth mode simply doesn't answer the door when anyone comes a knocking. However your browser sends information telling websites that are visited what it is, and that's what those sigs present.

Thanks for setting me straight, Smithcraft. In fact, I've falsely accused Scooper - it's not his sig that reports my status (and I can't remember whose sig it is that does do this... Embarassed ).
lynx2cross

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article isn't telling us anything we don't already know, if you install a virus, trojan, or malware on your mac it's "You" the user who is responsible for putting it there. Especially don't download pirated software and be very cautious about using peer2peer networks. Get your software from reputable sources like apple.com, version tracker, and Mac update. And using a firewall anytime you're connected to the internet is always recommended.

Now I'm new to using a mac and at first I was using antivirus software just to be on the safe side but then I learned that it's really not necessary, unless you have no brains and go around installing viruses on purpose as did the idiot who wrote that article and now wants to cry wolf to the rest of us. I have enough faith in apple that when the time comes and it becomes a must have they will tell us, and who knows maybe by then it will be something that will be built into the operating system already to protect us from such threats.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is, reputable source or not - malware can still be there. Many years back, our beloved MS shipped Office with malware on it.

Vigilance is never ending!

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: